Send money to friends, family or businesses overseas and receive on the same day business day – all from the comfort of your own home.
There are plenty of reasons why you may need to send money overseas as quickly as possible – maybe a friend overseas needs some financial help, or you've forgotten to pay an overseas bill. Whatever the situation, a same day international money transfer can help and there is a range to choose from. From your bank account to a mobile phone, there's a range of ways you can transfer money overseas.
Speak to a FX Expert
How do I do a same day money transfer?
First you'll need the details of your recipient – depending on the type of transfer, you'll need different details. For example, if it's a bank transfer you'll need the recipient's BSB, account number and Swift code. If it's a cash pickup transfer, all you need to do is provide the tracking number to the recipient so he or she can pick it up at a specified location.
How long does it take?
In most cases, you'll be able to set up an account almost instantly (the application itself should take about 15 minutes). After that, you'll need to link your new account to your existing bank account so you can transfer the money. Once the transfer has initiated, it can take from a few minutes, to the same business day.
How much does it cost?
How long does it normally take to transfer money from one bank to another?
Typically it takes 1-2 business day to transfer money between account within Australia from different bank accounts. Transferring money overseas from an Australian bank to another bank account overseas can generally take up to 5 business days.
What are same day international money transfers?
A same day international money transfer allows you to send funds abroad that will arrive with your beneficiary within 24 hours or within minutes. It offers a convenient way for you to buy goods or services, send money to friends and family and manage any other international payments you may need. It is the same as any other overseas money transfer but quicker, with some providers able to offer instant transfers. However, fast transfers usually cost more than regular transfers thanks to high fees and poor exchange rates.
How do I send funds abroad quickly?
The exact process for sending a same day transfer varies depending on the company you choose to handle your transaction. There are companies like Western Union and MoneyGram that allow you to send cash overseas by visiting your nearest transfer branch or by entering your payment details online, and the funds you send can then be collected by your beneficiary at a branch in their country of residence. There are also online money transfer companies, such as OFX, that allow you to send funds online from your bank account to your recipient’s overseas bank account. Banks, including the Commonwealth Bank and NAB, can also allow you to send international money transfers, either through your internet banking account or by visiting a branch. However, the availability of same day processing may vary depending on where you are sending your money and the currency you transfer.
What's the range of same day overseas transfers available?
- Money transfer with cash pickup. MoneyGram and Western Union are the two well-known companies of this service. The money you send with either company can be made available for your recipient to collect within 10 or 15 minutes in most cases, and each company has hundreds of thousands of locations around the world.
- Bank transfer. Most major Australian banks will make it possible to send international money transfers. However, same day transfers will not be available to all destinations. While transfers within 24 hours are possible to certain countries and in certain currencies, funds sent to other destinations could take as long as five days to arrive.
- Online money transfer. Online transfer companies like OFX allow speedy international transfers. However, once again the processing time for your transaction may take longer than 24 hours depending on where you are sending your money.
How do I compare same day international money transfers?
- Exchange rates. The rate of exchange you receive when converting Australian Dollars into another currency will have a huge influence on the cost of your transfer. Look for the highest rates you can find but be wary of any high fees that may be attached.
- Fees. You’ll need to pay a fee to send money overseas, although some providers will waive the fee when you transfer a large amount.
- Transfer networks. If sending your funds for cash pickup overseas, compare how many branches each company has near your recipient.
- Transfer methods. How will you lodge the transfer: can you do it online or will you need to visit a branch?
- Pickup methods. While some companies offer fast cash pickup, others will deposit the funds you send directly into your recipient’s bank account.
- Customer support. It’s also a good idea to look for a company with a solid reputation for providing professional and friendly customer support. Compare the ways in which support is offered - phone, email, live chat - and the hours during which you can access help.
Does PayPal offer same day international money transfers?
Yes, with PayPal the money arrives in minutes if you already have an established PayPal account. You can use PayPal to send personal payments to friends and family abroad. For those who have never used PayPal before, you can normally set one within a few minutes if you have instant access to up-to-date bank statements. This is because PayPal deposits small amounts into your account and you're required to verify your account based on the deposits. Learn more about PayPal overseas transfers.
What are the pros and cons of same day international money transfers?
- Fast. Same day international transfers allow you to get funds to someone overseas as quickly as possible.
- Convenient. You can lodge transfers online or by visiting a branch of your transfer provider.
- Support your family and friends. Whether you’re sending savings to your family or just providing urgent help to a cash-strapped friend or relative, same day international money transfers provide an easy solution.
- Can be costly. Same day transfers usually attract higher fees and lower exchange rates than regular transfers, so you need to be prepared to pay extra to send your funds.
Are there any problems with a fast money transfer?
The main problem you should be aware of when sending an international money transfer is the cost of the transaction. As mentioned, you will not usually receive the best exchange rate available when you send a fast transfer, while a higher transfer fee will also apply. This is why you should always carefully review the full details of your transfer before you hand over any money. Finally, you should always be aware of the fact that some transfer providers, for example your bank, will not always be able to offer a same-day transfer to certain destinations.