St.George Landlord Insurance
Want to protect your investment? Compare St.George landlord insurance
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When you rent out a property, you've got a lot at stake. St.George landlord insurance can protect you financially if your tenants damage anything, fail to pay their rent, or if a flood, storm or fire wreaks havoc on your property. We've broken down St.George's policies to make it easier to choose one that works for you.
Get a quote for St George Landlord Insurance
What cover options does St.George have?
St.George offers three cover options:
- Landlord Building Insurance. This protects your home and building. It covers repairs or rebuilds for any permanent fixtures if an unexpected event, like a fire or flood, damages the property.
- Landlord Contents Insurance. This protects the things inside your home. It covers loss or damage to contents including carpets, appliances, furniture and some electronics.
- Combined Landlord Building and Contents Insurance. This type of policy does both. It looks after both the physical structure and the contents you own inside it.
How does each cover type compare?
St.George offers two levels of landlord building and contents insurance: Essential Care and Quality Care. The table below outlines how they compare with one another.
|Essential Care||Quality Care|
|Storm, flood, lightning, earthquake, impact||Storm cover excludes damage to gates, fences and freestanding walls|
|Escape of liquid|
|Accidental breakage of glass|
|Electrical motor burnout|
|Artworks, collections and collectibles||Up to $3,000||Up to $10,000|
|Televisions, stereos, VCRs, DVD/Blu-ray players and recorders||Up to $3,000||No limit|
|Legal liability||Up to $20 million||Up to $20 million|
|Loss of rent (Additional Extra)|
What additional cover options are there?
There are a few additional extras that St.George offers. These include:
- Malicious acts or theft by tenants. If tenants deliberately damage the property or steal from it, this benefit can reimburse you for up to $20,000 with building only cover.
- Loss of rent due to default by tenants. If your tenant leaves your building before the end of the rental period and fails to pay the rent, St.George can reimburse you. (This may not apply at the moment due to COVID-19.)
- Damage caused by pets. If a pet damages the property when the lease agreement states that no pets are allowed, St.George will cover the damage caused by cats and dogs for up to $500.
- Landlord Workers' Compensation. Available with a Quality Care policy only, St.George will cover you for workers' compensation when you employ a person to do work at your rental property. This is only available in the Australian Capital Territory, Western Australia and Tasmania.
What exclusions are there?
There are some exclusions worth knowing about that may cause your claim to be rejected. You will not be covered for:
- Warranties, for example if something is under warranty
- Maintenance and building, for example defects in the structure or construction of the building
- Failing to keep the property watertight and well maintained
- Failing to undertake building work that you were required to undertake before the loss or damage occurred
- Wear and tear, including gradual deterioration, rust, and earth or soil movement (other than an earthquake)
- Animals, including insects, vermin and pests
- Power surges
- Malicious or unlawful acts
- Business and commercial purposes, for example you can't use any part of the property for running a business
- Common property, for example any part of the home that is part of a strata, group or community title plan
How do I make a claim?
You can call 1300 655 489 or claim online. Check your Policy Schedule to find out your sum insured and to check what excess you'll be required to pay. To submit a claim, you'll need:
- Your personal details
- Your policy number
- Details regarding the event and property or contents damaged, including the date it occurred and how it happened
- Photos, videos and other relevant documents
More guides on Finder
Fixtures and fittings: Why they matter in home insurance
Knowing the difference between fixtures and fittings can help you decide which home insurance policy is right for you.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
What is malicious damage?
Protect your home from the costs of malicious damage with home insurance. Compare policies in just minutes and get peace of mind.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class car insurance
Find out how much the average Mercedes-Benz E-Class costs to insure, as well as how to find a prestige car insurer.
How to start a pet sitting business
Do you love working with animals? Find out how to start your pet sitting business.
Does homeowners insurance cover rodent damage?
Is it possible to get insured against damage caused by pesky rodents? Find out here.
Granny flat insurance
Find the right granny flat insurance, whether you're renting yours out or you've moved into one.
Landlord insurance: Subletting
We've done our best to explain how landlord insurance deals with subletting. It's a tricky one but here's what we know.
Renters insurance: Aquariums
If you're a tenant with a fragile home aquarium, here's how renters insurance can help protect it.
Ask an Expert