St.George Home Insurance

St.George Landlord Insurance Review

St.George landlord insurance is good if you want more policy options and to pay monthly at no extra cost.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Our Verdict

  1. St.George landlord insurance is good for options. It offers different levels of cover: Essential Care and Quality Care. Many insurers only have one level to choose from.
  2. Its 25% online discount is similar to other top offers and you can pay monthly or yearly at no extra cost.
  3. St.George landlord insurance policies come with a safety net in case you underinsure your property — but so do many other insurers.

Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter

warningSome landlord insurance policies have temporarily removed benefits such as rent default and a few others because of the pandemic. Make sure to check this with the insurer before deciding on a policy.

Get a quote for St George Landlord Insurance

Name Product Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Tenant Default and Damage Loss of Rent Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Flood
St George Landlord Insurance
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER

Compare up to 4 providers


Get up to 25% off on Landlord Insurance

Get up to 25% off for your first year when you use this coupon code.

What cover options does St.George have?

St.George offers three cover options:

  • Landlord Building Insurance. This protects your home and building. It covers repairs or rebuilds for any permanent fixtures if an unexpected event, like a fire or flood, damages the property.
  • Landlord Contents Insurance. This protects the things inside your home. It covers loss or damage to contents including carpets, appliances, furniture and some electronics.
  • Combined Landlord Building and Contents Insurance. This type of policy does both. It looks after both the physical structure and the contents you own inside it.
When you click "Get a quote" above, you'll be taken directly to St.George's website where you can choose which policy type you want.

How does each cover type compare?

St.George offers two levels of landlord building and contents insurance: Essential Care and Quality Care. The table below outlines how they compare with one another.

Essential CareQuality Care
Storm, flood, lightning, earthquake, impactStorm cover excludes damage to gates, fences and freestanding walls
Escape of liquid
Malicious acts
Accidental breakage of glass
Electrical motor burnout
Artworks, collections and collectiblesUp to $3,000Up to $10,000
Televisions, stereos, VCRs, DVD/Blu-ray players and recordersUp to $3,000No limit
Legal liabilityUp to $20 millionUp to $20,000,000
Loss of rent (Additional Extra)

What additional cover options are there?

There are a few additional extras that St.George offers. These include:

  • Malicious acts or theft by tenants. If tenants deliberately damage the property or steal from it, this benefit can reimburse you for up to $20,000 with building only cover.
  • Loss of rent due to default by tenants. If your tenant leaves your building before the end of the rental period and fails to pay the rent, St.George can reimburse you. (This may not apply at the moment due to COVID-19.)
  • Damage caused by pets. If a pet damages the property when the lease agreement states that no pets are allowed, St.George will cover the damage caused by cats and dogs for up to $500.
  • Landlord Workers' Compensation. Available with a Quality Care policy only, St.George will cover you for workers' compensation when you employ a person to do work at your rental property. This is only available in the Australian Capital Territory, Western Australia and Tasmania.
  • Denial of access to tenant by government authority. This can cover loss of rent if your tenant is denied legal access to the insured property by a Local, State or Commonwealth authority.
  • Legal expenses. If St.George agree to pay a claim for rent default, it will also cover your reasonable legal costs associated with legally removing the tenant.

What exclusions are there?

There are some exclusions worth knowing about that may cause your claim to be rejected. You will not be covered for:

  • Warranties, for example if something is under warranty
  • Maintenance and building, for example defects in the structure or construction of the building
  • Failing to keep the property watertight and well maintained
  • Failing to undertake building work that you were required to undertake before the loss or damage occurred
  • Wear and tear, including gradual deterioration, rust, and earth or soil movement (other than an earthquake)
  • Animals, including insects, vermin and pests
  • Power surges
  • Malicious or unlawful acts
  • Business and commercial purposes, for example you can't use any part of the property for running a business
  • Common property, for example any part of the home that is part of a strata, group or community title plan

How do I make a claim?

You can call 1300 655 489 or claim online. Check your Policy Schedule to find out your sum insured and to check what excess you'll be required to pay. To submit a claim, you'll need:

  • Your personal details
  • Your policy number
  • Details regarding the event and property or contents damaged, including the date it occurred and how it happened
  • Photos, videos and other relevant documents

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site