We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- It comes with lots of benefits many others don't offer, including lawful removal and disposal of tenants' possessions for up to $10,000 if a tenant leaves without notice and damage from drug distribution and storage.
- It's good for extra perks. When you take out a policy, you get access to discounts and savings as an RACV member
- It's not for everyone — only people with property in Victoria can get access to RACV.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACV website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.
What cover options does RACV have?
- Building only. Protection for the bricks and mortar, Building only covers anything considered as part of the house, including pipes, cables, ducting, wires, switches, meters, fixed appliances, carports, patios, paved paths, driveways and other permanent fixtures (pools, spas, etc).
- Contents only. Covering anything not part of the building, Contents only protects items on your property, including carpets, curtains, blinds, furniture, furnishings, non-permanent light fittings, removable domestic appliances, utensils, swimming pools and their accessories.
- Building and Contents. Combined Building and Contents offers complete protection for your property and valuables, as well as legal liability for any incident on your property on involving your contents.
How does each cover type compare?
|Fire and flood|
|Earthquake and tsunami|
|Explosion and impact|
|Storm, storm surge and rainwater run-off|
|Riots or civil commotion|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Vandalism or malicious damage|
|Water and oil leaks|
|Credit card theft|
|Demolishing and removing debris|
|Fittings and fixtures|
|Furniture and furnishing|
|Keys and locks|
|Location cause of damage|
|Loss of rent during repairs|
|Meeting building regulations|
|Mortgage discharge costs|
|Cost of moving into a new home|
What additional cover options are there?
- Additional damage. Mishaps can happen. This option would protect your home and contents against accidental damage or loss.
- Burnout of electric motors. This additional option covers the cost to repair or replace an electric motor that is part of either your home or contents.
- Portable items cover. Cover your items wherever you are in Australia or New Zealand with portable items cover, whether you’re at home or out and about, your contents are covered.
- Valuable items cover. Need extra protection for your more valuable items? This option provides up to $10,000 extra for an individual item.
What exclusions are there?
While all insurance policies will have specific exclusions, general exclusions can include loss, damage or injury due to:
- Poor housekeeping, unhygienic living or neglect by tenants
- Rust, mould, depreciation or wear and tear
- Earth movements unrelated to earthquakes
- Actions of the sea
- Vermin, rodents, birds and insects
- Tree felling and tree roots
- Lawful seizure or illegal activities you are involved in
- Mechanical, structural or electrical failure
- Business interruption, consequential financial loss or other non-financial loss (inconvenience, distress, etc)
- Intentional and deliberate actions by you or someone acting with your permission
What excess do I need to pay?
Excess is your share of any claim for damage, loss or injury covered by your policy. Each claim requires its own excess and you may have to pay more than one excess. For example, if a fire damaged your house you would need to claim for the damage and pay an excess. If the house was unusable, you could claim for loss of rent, which would require an additional excess.
How do I make a claim?
If an incident involves loss, damage, injury or death, immediately contact any relevant emergency services and take all reasonable measures to prevent any further incidents. Retain any relevant reports and documentation and contact RACV on 13 19 03 for Home Assistance or you can go to mymembership.racv.com.au to lodge your claim online.
You can access any benefits provided by your policy as well as over-the-phone emergency support by calling RACV Aussie Assist on 13 72 28.
More guides on Finder
How to pick a proven budgeting strategy that works for you
We've compared 3 popular approaches to help sort your finances.
Property prices: You need a $100K deposit in every capital city – except this one
Saving a 20% deposit for the median priced property in most Australian cities is a six figure task.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.