RACV Landlord Insurance
Finding the right landlord insurance is no easy feat. Is RACV right for you?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With over 2.1 million members, RACV has gained renown for offering members peace of mind and protection against the unknown. Landlords face more than their fair share of unknowns everyday, from default of rent to breakage of leases, as well as any accident or incident that could see their property deemed as unlivable. Landlord insurance is a must, but why should you consider RACV?
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACV website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.
What cover options does RACV have?
- Building only. Protection for the bricks and mortar, Building only covers anything considered as part of the house, including pipes, cables, ducting, wires, switches, meters, fixed appliances, carports, patios, paved paths, driveways and other permanent fixtures (pools, spas, etc).
- Contents only. Covering anything not part of the building, Contents only protects items on your property, including carpets, curtains, blinds, furniture, furnishings, non-permanent light fittings, removable domestic appliances, utensils, swimming pools and their accessories.
- Building and Contents. Combined Building and Contents offers complete protection for your property and valuables, as well as legal liability for any incident on your property on involving your contents.
How does each cover type compare?
|Fire and flood|
|Earthquake and tsunami|
|Explosion and impact|
|Storm, storm surge and rainwater run-off|
|Riots or civil commotion|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Vandalism or malicious damage|
|Water and oil leaks|
|Credit card theft|
|Demolishing and removing debris|
|Fittings and fixtures|
|Furniture and furnishing|
|Keys and locks|
|Location cause of damage|
|Loss of rent during repairs|
|Meeting building regulations|
|Mortgage discharge costs|
|Cost of moving into a new home|
What additional cover options are there?
- Additional damage. Mishaps can happen. This option would protect your home and contents against accidental damage or loss.
- Burnout of electric motors. This additional option covers the cost to repair or replace an electric motor that is part of either your home or contents.
- Portable items cover. Cover your items wherever you are in Australia or New Zealand with portable items cover, whether you’re at home or out and about, your contents are covered.
- Valuable items cover. Need extra protection for your more valuable items? This option provides up to $10,000 extra for an individual item.
What exclusions are there?
While all insurance policies will have specific exclusions, general exclusions can include loss, damage or injury due to:
- Poor housekeeping, unhygienic living or neglect by tenants
- Rust, mould, depreciation or wear and tear
- Earth movements unrelated to earthquakes
- Actions of the sea
- Vermin, rodents, birds and insects
- Tree felling and tree roots
- Lawful seizure or illegal activities you are involved in
- Mechanical, structural or electrical failure
- Business interruption, consequential financial loss or other non-financial loss (inconvenience, distress, etc)
- Intentional and deliberate actions by you or someone acting with your permission
What excess do I need to pay?
Excess is your share of any claim for damage, loss or injury covered by your policy. Each claim requires its own excess and you may have to pay more than one excess. For example, if a fire damaged your house you would need to claim for the damage and pay an excess. If the house was unusable, you could claim for loss of rent, which would require an additional excess.
How do I make a claim?
If an incident involves loss, damage, injury or death, immediately contact any relevant emergency services and take all reasonable measures to prevent any further incidents. Retain any relevant reports and documentation and contact RACV on 13 19 03 for Home Assistance or you can go to mymembership.racv.com.au to lodge your claim online.
You can access any benefits provided by your policy as well as over-the-phone emergency support by calling RACV Aussie Assist on 13 72 28.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Traeger Timberline 850 smoker review
The Traeger Timberline 850 smoker is the best way to cook your food; a premium product that justifies its premium price.
Ho Ho Home invasion: 1.9 million front doors will be left unlocked this holiday season
Millions of Australians are leaving themselves vulnerable to theft this Christmas by not locking their doors, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Best men’s watches in Australia
These are the six best men's watches you can buy right now in Australia.
How to start an electronic repairs business
Turn your passion for electronics into a profitable company.