What is a health insurance broker?
Having trouble choosing the right option? A private health insurance broker could help.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Choosing between health insurance policies can be a daunting task. With so many insurers, policies and features to choose from, picking out the right cover is easier said than done.
That’s where a health insurance broker comes in. Insurance brokers are experts when it comes to comparing policies and can offer the advice and assistance you need to find one that meets all your requirements.
Leave your details below and a health insurance broker will give you a call.
What you'll get:
- 100% free expert advice
- Pay the same as going direct
- Instant advice if you call 1300 594 882
How can brokers help me find the right policy?
An insurance broker is an insurance and risk management specialist. Health insurance brokers work in the best interests of their clients to help them navigate the complex world of insurance, including:
- Identifying a client’s needs
- Finding and comparing policies
- Presenting a range of different policy options
- Providing expert advice throughout all these stages
If you consult with a health insurance broker you may go through the following stages:
- They will first take the time to discuss your insurance needs, your financial situation and what you are looking for in a policy.
- Using their knowledge of the insurance industry and the health insurance policies available on the Australian market, the health insurance broker will then present you with a selection of policies that match your requirements.
- They will then help you sort through the finer details and help find the right one for you.
Why should I use a broker?
There are many advantages to using an insurance broker to find a health insurance policy.
- Expert advice. Health insurance broker understand the insurance industry inside and out. They know how cover works and what sort of policy would benefit someone in your situation.
- Technical jargon explained. Having trouble understanding the difference between hospital and extras cover, between an excess and a co-payment, or one of the myriad other confusing aspects of health cover? Your health insurance broker can answer any questions you may have.
- Access to a range of policies. Brokers deal with insurers directly and can help you access a huge range of policies, some of which you may not have otherwise been aware of.
- Advice tailored to you. A good insurance broker will take the time to assess your health insurance needs and then help you find a policy that is perfect for you.
- Discounts. Your health insurance broker can also offer advice and tips on how to find the most affordable cover and take advantage of any relevant discounts.
How do I choose a broker?
The broker you choose, or don’t choose, could be the difference between having effective cover at a reasonable price and paying too much for too little. You need to be sure that the health insurance broker you select is experienced, trustworthy and reliable. They’re your own personal insurance expert, so it’s important to know you can depend on them.
- Australian owned health insurance comparison service based in Melbourne, they employ a team of more than 70 experienced advisers to compare health insurance policies and find the one that’s right for you.
- They work with a wide range of leading health funds to provide their customers with a more tailored range of options, saving you time and stress when comparing policies. Even better, they can also save you money. The health insurance advisory service offered by Choosewell is completely free, and rather than charging you directly, insurers award Choosewell a finder’s fee for matching customers with policies.
- They offer a best price guarantee – the premium price you are quoted through Choosewell is the same price you would receive if you went direct to the health fund. If you select a product that turns out not to be the best choice you can cancel within the first 30 days (provided you haven’t made a claim) to get a complete or near-complete refund.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
MyHeritage vs 23andMe
Discover the main differences between two leading DNA testing services, from pricing to privacy.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
How to compare gold storage options and find a secure solution that works for you.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert