Pay for your streaming and earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points at the same time.
Netflix doesn't have any direct deals for earning frequent flyer points in Australia. If you pay for your Netflix subscription with a credit card that earns frequent flyer points (there are lots to choose from), you'll score a handful of points each month. But you can earn far more points by taking advantage of bonus points deals from supermarkets.
Both Coles' flybuys and Woolworths' Woolworths Rewards regularly offer bonus point bundles when you buy Netflix gift cards. A typical deal offers 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points with a Netflix gift card purchase.
2,000 Woolworths Rewards points convert to 870 Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Similarly, 2,000 flybuys points convert to 870 Velocity points. By buying gift cards and using them to pay for Netflix, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses.
To add the gift card credit to your account, simply head to your Netflix account page and use the "Redeem gift card or promo" option. Your gift card credit will always be used first. Once it runs out, your registered credit card will continue to pay for your monthly subscription.
Traps to watch out for
Make sure you don't lose out on points when using Netflix gift cards by following these tips:
- You can't buy multiple cards to score extra points. These offers generally limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. Unfortunately, that means you can't score more points by buying extra cards (either for your own use or as an actual gift).
- Your gift card purchases won't earn extra flybuys or Woolworths Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points in their own right. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points otherwise. It's worth remembering this if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer that promises bonus points if you spend a certain amount at a supermarket each week.
- Self-serve checkouts aren't your friend. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. So generally it's quicker to go to an express checkout.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan your card prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It typically takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. After purchasing a card, hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points show up.
- Remember to convert your points. With flybuys, you need to log in and manually convert your points to Velocity. For Woolworths Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points all your points automatically converted and added to your Qantas account.
Making use of gift cards can help you reach your points goals sooner. To make the most of your Netflix subscription, check out our regular monthly round-up of what's new on Netflix and other streaming services.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEUsing Netflix gift cards is a smart way to top up your points total, and will earn you a lot more points than you'd get simply from paying your Netflix bill with your credit card.
- Qantas’ first double status credits promotion for 2019 is here
- Half-price KrisFlyer redemptions on Singapore Airlines
- Money Hack: Get complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi at AccorHotels
- Transfer your flybuys points and receive 15% bonus Velocity Points
- Singapore Airlines A350 Business Class Adelaide to Singapore Review
Picture: Daniel Krason/Shutterstock