How to earn frequent flyer points with Netflix gift cards
Pay for your streaming and earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points at the same time.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Netflix doesn't have any direct deals for earning frequent flyer points in Australia. If you pay for your Netflix subscription with a credit card that earns frequent flyer points (there are lots to choose from), you'll score a handful of points each month. But you can earn far more points by taking advantage of bonus points deals from supermarkets.
Both Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards regularly offer bonus point bundles when you buy Netflix gift cards. A typical deal offers 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points with a Netflix gift card purchase.
2,000 Everyday Rewards points convert to 1,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points. 2,000 Flybuys points converts to a slightly lower 870 Velocity points. By buying gift cards and using them to pay for Netflix, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses.
To add the gift card credit to your account, simply head to your Netflix account page and use the "Redeem gift card or promo" option. Your gift card credit will always be used first. Once it runs out, your registered credit card will continue to pay for your monthly subscription.
Traps to watch out for
Make sure you don't lose out on points when using Netflix gift cards by following these tips:
- You can't buy multiple cards to score extra points. These offers generally limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. Unfortunately, that means you can't score more points by buying extra cards (either for your own use or as an actual gift).
- Your gift card purchases won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points in their own right. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points otherwise. It's worth remembering this if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer that promises bonus points if you spend a certain amount at a supermarket each week.
- Self-serve checkouts aren't your friend. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. So generally it's quicker to go to an express checkout.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan your card prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It typically takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. After purchasing a card, hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points show up.
- Remember to convert your points. With Flybuys, you need to log in and manually convert your points to Velocity. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points all your points automatically converted and added to your Qantas account.
Making use of gift cards can help you reach your points goals sooner. To make the most of your Netflix subscription, check out our regular monthly round-up of what's new on Netflix and other streaming services.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEUsing Netflix gift cards is a smart way to top up your points total, and will earn you a lot more points than you'd get simply from paying your Netflix bill with your credit card.
- Flybuys partners with Bunnings and Officeworks: How many points can you earn?
- Up to 45% off flights in Qantas’ Cyber Monday sale
- New international travel rules: Quarantine, proof of vax, visas and more explained
- The latest Cathay Pacific companion sale lets you fly from $1,298 return
- 5 Best Black Friday 2021 flight deals in Australia
Picture: Daniel Krason/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
How to watch Melbourne Victory vs Brisbane Roar A-League live and match preview
Melbourne Victory look like they might be on the improve as they host a skilful Brisbane Roar.
Get up to 50% off at JD Sports this Black Friday weekend 2021
JD Sports' top Black Friday weekend deals include over $100 off Nike, Reebok and Adidas shoes and apparel.
25 unmissable eBay deals from the ‘Black Friday’ weekend
Deal alert: Get up to 76% off at eBay Australia this Saturday with the latest and greatest Black Friday weekend deals.
Best weekend deals from Amazon for Black Friday: Games, tech, homewares
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday weekend deals available from Amazon, including games, home appliances, electronics and gadgets.
Saturday update: Freedom’s hottest Black Friday furniture deals
Update your space with these bargain-worthy Freedom home finds including furniture, wall art, mirrors and more.
The Best Black Friday tech deals in Australia
Black Friday has landed, which means its time to get a deal on some fancy tech, from phones and headphones to laptops and cameras.
Cyber Weekend Christmas shopping deals for kids and teens: Get 60% off
Black Friday's best Christmas shopping deals for kids include Lego for 40% off, 38% off Beyblade, LEGO bargains galore and big Bluey discounts
7 steps to building your passive income
Setting a goal of making $200,000 a year passive income may seem unattainable, but investing experts Scott and Mina O'Neill say it's possible.
A-League fans! Here are 10 (more) reasons to get Paramount Plus
Come for the football, stay for the quality original TV.
Ethereum price gains 10% in a week – here’s why that could continue
In spite of the recent crash which saw nearly AUD$400 billion being wiped out from the market, ETH has been able to register monthly gains of over 6%.
Ask an Expert