How to earn frequent flyer points with Netflix gift cards
Pay for your streaming and earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points at the same time.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Netflix doesn't have any direct deals for earning frequent flyer points in Australia. If you pay for your Netflix subscription with a credit card that earns frequent flyer points (there are lots to choose from), you'll score a handful of points each month. But you can earn far more points by taking advantage of bonus points deals from supermarkets.
Both Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards regularly offer bonus point bundles when you buy Netflix gift cards. A typical deal offers 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points with a Netflix gift card purchase.
2,000 Everyday Rewards points convert to 1,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points. 2,000 Flybuys points converts to a slightly lower 870 Velocity points. By buying gift cards and using them to pay for Netflix, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses.
To add the gift card credit to your account, simply head to your Netflix account page and use the "Redeem gift card or promo" option. Your gift card credit will always be used first. Once it runs out, your registered credit card will continue to pay for your monthly subscription.
Traps to watch out for
Make sure you don't lose out on points when using Netflix gift cards by following these tips:
- You can't buy multiple cards to score extra points. These offers generally limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. Unfortunately, that means you can't score more points by buying extra cards (either for your own use or as an actual gift).
- Your gift card purchases won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points in their own right. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points otherwise. It's worth remembering this if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer that promises bonus points if you spend a certain amount at a supermarket each week.
- Self-serve checkouts aren't your friend. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. So generally it's quicker to go to an express checkout.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan your card prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It typically takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. After purchasing a card, hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points show up.
- Remember to convert your points. With Flybuys, you need to log in and manually convert your points to Velocity. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points all your points automatically converted and added to your Qantas account.
Making use of gift cards can help you reach your points goals sooner. To make the most of your Netflix subscription, check out our regular monthly round-up of what's new on Netflix and other streaming services.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEUsing Netflix gift cards is a smart way to top up your points total, and will earn you a lot more points than you'd get simply from paying your Netflix bill with your credit card.
Picture: Daniel Krason/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Why the BHP, Rio and FMG share prices are rising
Shares in mining giants BHP, Rio Tinto and Fortescue Metals have climbed between 10%-16% in the last 6 months.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,000 off Dell gaming laptops, 30% off kids toys, win $10,000 with Optus.
Ask an Expert