How to earn frequent flyer points with Netflix gift cards
Pay for your streaming and earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points at the same time.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Netflix doesn't have any direct deals for earning frequent flyer points in Australia. If you pay for your Netflix subscription with a credit card that earns frequent flyer points (there are lots to choose from), you'll score a handful of points each month. But you can earn far more points by taking advantage of bonus points deals from supermarkets.
Both Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards regularly offer bonus point bundles when you buy Netflix gift cards. A typical deal offers 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points with a Netflix gift card purchase.
2,000 Everyday Rewards points convert to 1,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points. 2,000 Flybuys points converts to a slightly lower 870 Velocity points. By buying gift cards and using them to pay for Netflix, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses.
To add the gift card credit to your account, simply head to your Netflix account page and use the "Redeem gift card or promo" option. Your gift card credit will always be used first. Once it runs out, your registered credit card will continue to pay for your monthly subscription.
Traps to watch out for
Make sure you don't lose out on points when using Netflix gift cards by following these tips:
- You can't buy multiple cards to score extra points. These offers generally limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. Unfortunately, that means you can't score more points by buying extra cards (either for your own use or as an actual gift).
- Your gift card purchases won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points in their own right. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points otherwise. It's worth remembering this if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer that promises bonus points if you spend a certain amount at a supermarket each week.
- Self-serve checkouts aren't your friend. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. So generally it's quicker to go to an express checkout.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan your card prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It typically takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. After purchasing a card, hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points show up.
- Remember to convert your points. With Flybuys, you need to log in and manually convert your points to Velocity. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points all your points automatically converted and added to your Qantas account.
Making use of gift cards can help you reach your points goals sooner. To make the most of your Netflix subscription, check out our regular monthly round-up of what's new on Netflix and other streaming services.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEUsing Netflix gift cards is a smart way to top up your points total, and will earn you a lot more points than you'd get simply from paying your Netflix bill with your credit card.
- This Virgin Australia sale is bringing you fares from $79 a pop
- Virgin Australia sale drops fares from $69 across 300,000 seats
- Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale
- Score $75 flights with the Virgin Australia Boxing Day sale
- Take off across the country from $75 with this Virgin Australia sale
Picture: Daniel Krason/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
Red Energy Business review January 2021
Earn Qantas Points every time you pay your bill with business plans from Red Energy.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
5 tips to help you get the best credit card deal in 2020
SPONSORED: In a time of financial volatility, here are the key ways to find a credit card that offers you bang for your buck.
Citi Rewards Card
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Why bottle shops are the new points battleground
Woolworths and Coles are holding back bonuses, but their liquor outlets aren't.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Frequent Flyer Diners Club card
Diners Club isn’t as widely accepted as other cards, but you can still earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 at major retailers with this card.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert