Tasmania has fewer energy providers than most states, so your choices may be limited.
Tasmania was opened up to full energy competition on 1 July 2014. This means that Tasmanians should now have a more competitive energy market. Despite deregulation, there is still only one retail electricity provider in the state and only two gas providers. While consumers face limited choices for now, this will certainly change in the future.
What retailers provide energy to Tasmania?
For the moment, Tasmania has a very limited range of retail energy providers for consumers to choose from. Small and large businesses have a few more options, but ordinary households are limited to the following providers.
Tasmania has only one electricity retailer, Aurora Energy, so your ability to shop around and find the best price is severely limited. The company has several features and options to consider, including the following:
- AuroraGreen. This is Aurora Energy's green energy product, which sources energy from wind power. AuroraGreen is GreenPower accredited.
- Aurora Online. The provider's online tool lets you track your energy use, pay outstanding bills and predict future bills.
- Aurora PAY AS YOU GO. Only available in certain areas, Aurora PAY AS YOU GO gives consumers more control over their energy usage by charging up their payments using a credit system connected to their energy meter.
There are two choices for gas in Tasmania:
- Aurora Energy. Tasmania's main electricity provider also supplies residential and business gas around Tasmania.
- TasGas. TasGas offer business and residential gas all over Tasmania. They also manage much of the infrastructure for transporting gas around the state. Read more about TasGas.
What is an electricity and gas provider or retailer?An energy retailer buys energy from energy producers and sells it to homes and businesses. There are many energy retailers available in Australia, and all of them offer different packages, deals and service different areas. This has made the energy field a good place for consumers to find savings. We’ve previewed many of the energy providers available in Australia today, so if you’re interested in knowing if you could be saving money, why not have a look around our guides?
Will electricity prices increase in Tasmania this year?
Electricity prices in Tasmania, unlike most states, are not likely to rise too much next year. The state government introduced caps on prices to protect consumers against expected price hikes, but in the longer term, Tasmania's energy prices may rise more sharply.