Find out your options when it comes to Tasmanian energy providers.
Tasmania has had an open energy market since 1 July 2014, but despite deregulation, there are only a handful of providers when it comes to gas and electricity in the state.
See how they compare and how to switch providers below.
Essential facts about energy plans in Tasmania
- There are only two gas and two electricity providers in the state
- The energy market was opened up in 2014, meaning more providers may enter over the next few years
- You may be able to save money by switching plans
Search and compare energy providers in Tasmania
How does the energy market work in Tasmania?
Tasmania currently has a very limited range of retail energy providers compared to the other states and territories. While the state introduced full retail competition to its energy market in 2014, there are still only two options when it comes to electricity and gas.
TasNetworks is the only electricity distributor in Tasmania and covers the entire state.
Despite the energy market being opened up in 2014, Tasmania currently has two electricity retailers. These are:
- Aurora Energy: This is a government-owned retailer that was the sole provider of energy in Tasmania until 2019.
- 1st Energy: 1st Energy entered the Tasmanian energy market in February 2019 and is currently the only alternative to Aurora.
Tas Gas Networks is the only distributor of gas currently operating in Tasmania.
There are also two choices for gas in Tasmania:
- Aurora Energy. Tasmania's main electricity provider also supplies residential and business gas around Tasmania.
- TasGas. TasGas offer business and residential gas all over Tasmania. It also manages much of the infrastructure for transporting gas around the state.
What to look for when comparing energy plans
Despite the lack of competition in the Tasmanian energy market, there are a number of things to look out for when finding the plan that's right for you. This includes:
- Usage options. You'll generally be charged different prices depending on the time and size of your energy usage. Understanding your usage behaviour will help narrow down the plan most suitable for your situation.
- Flexible payment options. Providers may let you pay in advance or in a number of instalments.
- Discounts. Energy providers may offer discounts to new customers or even for customers that pay their bill on time. If you've been with the same provider for a while, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate.
- Bundling. Aurora provides both gas and electricity in Tasmania, and you may be able to bundle the two as part of the same plan.
How much does electricity cost in Tasmania?
Electricity prices in Tasmania have remained relatively consistent over the last few years. The state government introduced caps on prices to protect consumers against expected price hikes, but in the longer term, Tasmania's energy prices may rise more sharply.
How can I switch providers?
While you only have the choice of two suppliers for both electricity and gas in Tasmania, switching providers or plans may help save you money.
Switching providers is relatively easy and you're free to switch at any time, but may have to pay additional fees to do so. You simply need to apply with your new provider and cancel your existing plan.