Swann Motorcycle Insurance
Need cover for your baby? Swann's motorcycle insurance could be the right fit for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Even the most careful motorcycle rider can be involved in an accident or have their bike stolen or damaged through no fault of their own, which is why motorcycle insurance is such an important protection to have.
Swann Insurance is one of the leading providers of motorcycle insurance in Australia and provides cover for more than 750,000 customers.
Their motorcycle cover includes comprehensive, third party fire and theft, third party liability and dirt bike cover. Their insurance is underwritten by Insurance Australia Limited.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Swann website or compare other motorcycle insurance cover with finder.
What cover options does Swann offer?
Swann Motorcycle Insurance includes four different types of cover:
- Comprehensive. This policy provides comprehensive cover for a wide range of risks including accident, fire, theft and third party liability.
- Third party fire and theft. This policy covers your motorcycle if it is damaged or destroyed by fire or theft.
- Third party liability. This policy covers your legal liability for damage to someone else’s property as a result of an accident caused by your motorcycle.
- Dirt bike cover. This policy covers your recreational dirt bike against accidental damage, fire and theft.
Swann Motorcycle Insurance levels of cover
Each of these policies offers the following levels of cover:
- Comprehensive. This policy includes cover for accidental and malicious damage, theft, fire, bushfire and grassfire, cyclone, flood and storm. You can get cover for the replacement of your motorcycle with a new one as long as it is no older than 24 months when the insured event occurs. You can also get cover for your trailer up to $1,000 each. You get cover for towing and clean-up costs as well. The comprehensive policy gives you cover for emergency repairs and expenses up to $500 and for a car hire up to $100 a day for up to 15 days. You also get up to $20 million cover for legal liability and can get a bonus for not making any claims.
- Third party fire and theft. This policy includes cover for theft, fire, bushfire and grassfire as well as legal liability up to $20 million. You also get cover for your trailer as well as cover, up to $5,000, if an uninsured motorist damages your motorcycle.
- Third party liability. This policy includes up to $20 million legal liability cover as well as up to $5,000 cover if an uninsured motorist damages your motorcycle.
- Dirt bike cover. Dirt bike cover includes cover for accidental damage, theft, fire, bushfire and grassfire as well as for your trailer.
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Third party, fire & theft||Third party liability||Dirt bike cover|
|Bushfire and Grassfire|
|Flood and Storm|
|Return of motorcycle|
|Faultless no claim bonus|
|New motorcycle replacement|
|Keys and locks|
|Towing and clean up cost|
|Emergency repairs and expenses|
|Hire car reimbursement|
|Uninsured motorist extension|
|Optional benefits for extra premium|
|No claim bonus rating 1 protection|
|Riding gear and gear bags|
Are there any exclusions I should be aware of?
All cover types are subject to general exclusions where Swann Motorcycle Insurance will not pay a benefit. These include the following:
- Damage that occurred prior to an incident
- Faulty workmanship or incomplete repairs
- Wear and tear, depreciation or corrosion
- The cost of hiring another motorcycle after an incident
- Mechanical, structural, electronic or electrical failure
- Tyre damage caused by punctures, bursting, cuts or brake application
- Unauthorised repairs (other than emergency repairs)
- An incident while your motorcycle was in an unsafe, unroadworthy or unregistered state
- Failing to properly safeguard your motorcycle after an incident
- Deliberate acts
- Legal seizure
- War, civil disturbance, nuclear waste or any nuclear material
- Stealing or misappropriating your own motorcycle
- Loss or damage while your motorcycle is on consignment
- Loss or damage to any clothing as a result of an accident (except under the Riding Gear optional benefit)
- Towing an illegal or unroadworthy trailer
- Parts and accessories that have been removed from your motorcycle
- Cost of importing parts not normally available from the distributor
- Contamination from chemical or biological agents in an act of terrorism
- Carrying hazardous or inflammable goods in illegal quantities
- Carrying passengers for fare or reward
- Participating in motor sports or at a motorcycle track (other than in an approved rider training course)
- Unauthorised modifications
- Having your motorcycle stolen while being tested by a prospective buyer
- Damage by bushfire, grassfire or cyclone within 48 hours of your policy commencing.
How much does Swann motorcycle insurance cost?
Factors that influence the cost of your Swann Motorcycle Insurance include the following:
- The make, model and type of motorcycle you ride
- Your age and the age of others using your motorcycle
- The value of your motorcycle
- Any accessories and modifications you have made
- Where your motorcycle is normally housed
- Where your motorcycle is normally parked
What's the excess like?
The excess is the bit you need to chip in when you make a claim. With Swann, there are five types of excess which apply:
- Basic excess. The basic excess is the standard excess you'll be required to pay whenever you make a claim. The amount should be stated on your Policy schedule. You can increase the excess to reduce the cost of your premium, but only if you have comprehensive cover.
- Age excess. This is the excess you must pay if the rider of your motorcycle at the time of an incident was under a certain age.
- Licence excess. This is an excess you need to pay if the rider of your motorcycle held a learner's permit or a probationary or provisional licence at the time of an incident.
- Theft excess. This is the excess you must pay if your motorcycle is stolen.
- Special Excess. This excess is based on factors such as your riding, driving and criminal record, as well as the type of motorcycle you are driving. It'll be calculated when you apply for a policy and written on your policy schedule for a minimum of two consecutive years.
The age and license excesses do not apply to dirt bike cover.
How do I make a claim?
Making a claim on your Swann Motorcycle Insurance involves the following steps:
- You need to lodge your claim as soon as possible after an incident (preferably within 14 days) either on the website at www.swannmotorcycle.com.au or by calling 13 74 33.
- You need to provide all reasonable assistance when requested, including giving honest, accurate information.
- You need to provide documentation if requested (ie, police reports or any other documentation).
- You need to refer all communications from other parties to Swann Insurance.
Other commonly asked questions
More guides on Finder
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class car insurance
Find out how much the average Mercedes-Benz E-Class costs to insure, as well as how to find a prestige car insurer.
2020 Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid review
Learn what four motoring experts thought of the Hyundai IONIQ hybrid and plug-in hybrid
Granny flat insurance
Find the right granny flat insurance, whether you're renting yours out or you've moved into one.
Ask an Expert