Even the most careful motorcycle rider can be involved in an accident or have their bike stolen or damaged through no fault of their own, which is why motorcycle insurance is such an important protection to have.
Its motorcycle cover includes comprehensive and third party liability cover. It also offers scooter insurance. Swann insurance is underwritten by Insurance Australia Limited.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Swann website or compare other motorcycle insurance cover with finder.
Swann Motorcycle Insurance levels of cover
Each of these policies offers the following levels of cover:
- Comprehensive. This policy includes cover for accidental and malicious damage, theft, fire, bushfire and grassfire, cyclone, flood and storm. You can get cover for the replacement of your motorcycle with a new one as long as it is no older than 24 months when the insured event occurs. You can also get cover for your trailer up to $1,000 each. You get cover for towing and clean-up costs as well. The comprehensive policy gives you cover for emergency repairs and expenses up to $500 and for a car hire up to $100 a day for up to 15 days. You also get up to $20 million cover for legal liability and can get a bonus for not making any claims.
- Third party liability. This policy includes up to $20 million legal liability cover as well as up to $5,000 cover if an uninsured motorist damages your motorcycle.
- Scooter insurance
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Third party liability|
|Bushfire and Grassfire|
|Flood and Storm|
|Return of motorcycle|
|Faultless no claim bonus|
|New motorcycle replacement|
|Keys and locks|
|Towing and clean up cost|
|Emergency repairs and expenses|
|Hire car reimbursement|
|Uninsured motorist extension|
|Optional benefits for extra premium|
|No claim bonus rating 1 protection|
|Riding gear and gear bags|
Are there any exclusions I should be aware of?
All cover types are subject to general exclusions where Swann Motorcycle Insurance will not pay a benefit. These include the following:
- Damage that occurred prior to an incident
- Faulty workmanship or incomplete repairs
- Wear and tear, depreciation or corrosion
- The cost of hiring another motorcycle after an incident
- Mechanical, structural, electronic or electrical failure
- Tyre damage caused by punctures, bursting, cuts or brake application
- Unauthorised repairs (other than emergency repairs)
- An incident while your motorcycle was in an unsafe, unroadworthy or unregistered state
- Failing to properly safeguard your motorcycle after an incident
- Deliberate acts
- Legal seizure
- War, civil disturbance, nuclear waste or any nuclear material
- Stealing or misappropriating your own motorcycle
- Loss or damage while your motorcycle is on consignment
- Loss or damage to any clothing as a result of an accident (except under the Riding Gear optional benefit)
- Towing an illegal or unroadworthy trailer
- Parts and accessories that have been removed from your motorcycle
- Cost of importing parts not normally available from the distributor
- Contamination from chemical or biological agents in an act of terrorism
- Carrying hazardous or inflammable goods in illegal quantities
- Carrying passengers for fare or reward
- Participating in motor sports or at a motorcycle track (other than in an approved rider training course)
- Unauthorised modifications
- Having your motorcycle stolen while being tested by a prospective buyer
- Damage by bushfire, grassfire or cyclone within 48 hours of your policy commencing.
How much does Swann motorcycle insurance cost?
Factors that influence the cost of your Swann Motorcycle Insurance include the following:
- The make, model and type of motorcycle you ride
- Your age and the age of others using your motorcycle
- The value of your motorcycle
- Any accessories and modifications you have made
- Where your motorcycle is normally housed
What's the excess like?
The excess is the bit you need to chip in when you make a claim. With Swann, there are five types of excess which apply:
- Basic excess. The basic excess is the standard excess you'll be required to pay whenever you make a claim. The amount should be stated on your Policy schedule. You can increase the excess to reduce the cost of your premium, but only if you have comprehensive cover.
- Age excess. This is the excess you must pay if the rider of your motorcycle at the time of an incident was under a certain age.
- Licence excess. This is an excess you need to pay if the rider of your motorcycle held a learner's permit or a probationary or provisional licence at the time of an incident.
- Theft excess. This is the excess you must pay if your motorcycle is stolen.
- Special Excess. This excess is based on factors such as your riding, driving and criminal record, as well as the type of motorcycle you are driving. It'll be calculated when you apply for a policy and written on your policy schedule for a minimum of two consecutive years.
The age and license excesses do not apply to dirt bike cover.
How do I make a claim?
Making a claim on your Swann Motorcycle Insurance involves the following steps:
- You need to lodge your claim as soon as possible after an incident (preferably within 14 days) either on the website at www.swannmotorcycle.com.au or by calling 13 74 33.
- You need to provide all reasonable assistance when requested, including giving honest, accurate information.
- You need to provide documentation if requested (ie, police reports or any other documentation).
- You need to refer all communications from other parties to Swann Insurance.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
Other commonly asked questions
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.
Ask an Expert