We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Riot Blockchain, Inc (RIOT) is a leading software-application business with stocks listed in the US. It opened the day at US$41.88 after a previous close of US$45.67. During the day the price has varied from a low of USD40.55 to a high of USD47.75. The latest price was USD43.74 (25 minute delay). Riot Blockchain is listed on the NASDAQ. All prices are listed in US Dollars.
How to buy shares in Riot Blockchain
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Riot Blockchain. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: RIOT. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Riot Blockchain reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$45.67, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Riot Blockchain, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Riot Blockchain. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- Riot Blockchain key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Riot Blockchain stock a buy or sell?
- Riot Blockchain performance over time
- Can I short Riot Blockchain shares?
- Riot Blockchain's financials
- How volatile are Riot Blockchain shares?
- Does Riot Blockchain pay a dividend?
- Have Riot Blockchain shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Riot Blockchain share priceUse our graph to track the performance of RIOT stocks over time.
Riot Blockchain shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$0.511 - US$79.5|
|50-day moving average||US$31.2335|
|200-day moving average||US$11.8554|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$-2.227|
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Riot Blockchain stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Riot Blockchain price performance over time
|1 week (2021-02-19)||-38.68%|
|1 month (2021-01-26)||126.40%|
|3 months (2020-11-25)||517.80%|
|6 months (2020-08-26)||1,182.70%|
|1 year (2020-02-26)||3,413.25%|
|2 years (2019-02-26)||1,115.00%|
|3 years (2018-02-26)||341.82%|
|5 years (2016-02-26)||20,728.57%|
Riot Blockchain financials
|Revenue TTM||US$8 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$6.3 million|
|Return on assets TTM||-15.65%|
|Return on equity TTM||-45.07%|
|Market capitalisation||US$3.3 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Riot Blockchain shares
There are currently 11.8 million Riot Blockchain shares held short by investors – that's known as Riot Blockchain's "short interest". This figure is 9.6% down from 13.1 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Riot Blockchain shares can be evaluated.
Riot Blockchain's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Riot Blockchain's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Riot Blockchain shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Riot Blockchain shares traded daily (recently around 32.8 million). Riot Blockchain's SIR currently stands at 0.36. In other words for every 100,000 Riot Blockchain shares traded daily on the market, roughly 360 shares are currently held short.
However Riot Blockchain's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Riot Blockchain shares, or, against the total number of tradable Riot Blockchain shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Riot Blockchain's short interest could be expressed as 0.18% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Riot Blockchain shares in existence, roughly 180 shares are currently held short) or 0.1794% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Riot Blockchain shares, roughly 179 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Riot Blockchain.
Find out more about how you can short Riot Blockchain stock.
Riot Blockchain share dividends
We're not expecting Riot Blockchain to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Riot Blockchain's shares ever split?
Riot Blockchain's shares were split on a 1:8 basis on 31 March 2016. So if you had owned 8 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Riot Blockchain shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 700% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Riot Blockchain shares which in turn could have impacted Riot Blockchain's share price.
Riot Blockchain share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Riot Blockchain's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$0.511 up to US$79.5. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Riot Blockchain's is 4.5576. This would suggest that Riot Blockchain's shares are significantly more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent a higher risk.
Riot Blockchain overview
Riot Blockchain, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, focuses on building, supporting, and operating Blockchain technologies ecosystem. It is involved in digital currency mining operation, which utilizes specialized computers that generate digital currency primarily bitcoin. The company also holds interests in various activities, including purchasing and selling digital currencies; provides accounting, audit, and verification services for blockchain based assets, such as cryptocurrencies; and develops TessPay, a payments ecosystem for component and sub-component supply chain settlement solution, as well as other blockchain solutions for telecommunications companies. As of December 31, 2019, approximately 7,400 of the miners were installed and operating. The company was formerly known as Bioptix, Inc. and changed its name to Riot Blockchain, Inc. in October 2017. Riot Blockchain, Inc. was founded in 2000 and is based in Castle Rock, Colorado.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert