How to buy Origin Energy shares | A$4.59
Own Origin Energy shares in just a few minutes.
Origin Energy Limited is an oil & gas integrated business based in Australia. Origin Energy shares (ORG) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Its last market close was $4.59 – a decrease of 2.13% over the previous week. Origin Energy has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $13.2 billion.
How to buy shares in Origin Energy
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Origin Energy. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: ORG. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Origin Energy reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $4.59, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Origin Energy. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Origin Energy key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Origin Energy stock a buy or sell?
- Origin Energy performance over time
- Are Origin Energy shares over-valued?
- Origin Energy's financials
- How volatile are Origin Energy shares?
- Does Origin Energy pay a dividend?
- Have Origin Energy shares ever split?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Origin Energy's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Origin Energy's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was $4.59, which is 41.38% down on its pre-crash value of $7.83 and 22.40% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as $3.75.
If you had bought $1,000 worth of Origin Energy shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth $480.40 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth $580.27.
Origin Energy share priceUse our graph to track the performance of ORG stocks over time.
Origin Energy shares at a glance
|Latest market close||AUDA$4.59|
|52-week range||AUDA$3.75 - AUDA$8.89|
|50-day moving average||AUDA$5.5346|
|200-day moving average||AUDA$5.5388|
|Dividend yield||AUDA$0.2 (4.17%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||AUDA$0.047|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Origin Energy stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Origin Energy price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-11)||-2.13%|
|1 month (2020-08-19)||-22.20%|
|3 months (2020-06-19)||-25.12%|
|6 months (2020-03-19)||12.78%|
|1 year (2019-09-19)||-41.90%|
|2 years (2018-09-19)||-43.12%|
|3 years (2017-09-19)||-39.37%|
|5 years (2015-09-18)||-25.68%|
Is Origin Energy under- or over-valued?
Valuing Origin Energy stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Origin Energy's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Origin Energy's P/E ratio
Origin Energy's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 100x. In other words, Origin Energy shares trade at around 100x recent earnings.
That's relatively high compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The high P/E ratio could mean that investors are optimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're over-valued.
Origin Energy's EBITDA
Origin Energy's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is $340 million (£0.0 million).
The EBITDA is a measure of a Origin Energy's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Origin Energy financials
|Revenue TTM||$13.2 billion|
|Operating margin TTM||0.36%|
|Gross profit TTM||$2.4 billion|
|Return on assets TTM||0.12%|
|Return on equity TTM||0.67%|
|Market capitalisation||$8.3 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Origin Energy share dividends
Dividend payout ratio: 638.3% of net profits
Recently Origin Energy has paid out, on average, around 638.3% of net profits as dividends. That has enabled analysts to estimate a "forward annual dividend yield" of 4.17% of the current stock value. This means that over a year, based on recent payouts (which are sadly no guarantee of future payouts), Origin Energy shareholders could enjoy a 4.17% return on their shares, in the form of dividend payments. In Origin Energy's case, that would currently equate to about A$0.2 per share.
Origin Energy's payout ratio would broadly be considered high, and as such this stock could appeal to those looking to generate an income. Bear in mind however that companies should normally also look to re-invest a decent amount of net profits to ensure future growth.
The latest dividend was paid out to all shareholders who bought their shares by 7 September 2020 (the "ex-dividend date").
Have Origin Energy's shares ever split?
Origin Energy's shares were split on 23 February 2005.
Origin Energy share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Origin Energy's shares have ranged in value from as little as $3.75 up to $8.89. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Origin Energy's is 1.4873. This would suggest that Origin Energy's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Origin Energy overview
Origin Energy Limited, an integrated energy company, engages in the exploration and production of natural gas, electricity generation, wholesale and retail sale of electricity and gas, and sale of liquefied natural gas in Australia and internationally. The company operates in Energy Markets and Integrated Gas segments. Its exploration and production portfolio includes the Bowen and Surat basins in Queensland; the Browse basin in Western Australia; and the Beetaloo basin in the Northern Territory. The company also generates electricity from coal, wind, pumped water storage, solar, and cogeneration plants; sells electricity, natural gas, and LPG; provides GreenPower and green gas products; and supplies LPG to homes and businesses. In addition, it offers electric and gas hot water systems, as well as hot water systems repair and replacement services; split system air conditioners; ducted and space heating solutions; ducted evaporative cooling systems; and ducted reverse cycle air conditioning systems. Origin Energy Limited was founded in 1946 and is based in Barangaroo, Australia.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert