How to buy Northern Star Resources (NST) shares
Learn how to easily invest in Northern Star Resources shares.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Northern Star Resources is a gold business based in Australia. Northern Star Resources shares (NST) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are in Australian dollars. Northern Star Resources has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $3.5 billion. If you're looking to buy shares, check out the steps below.
How to buy shares in Northern Star Resources
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the ASX. Our table can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, such as your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Northern Star Resources. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: NST. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Northern Star Resources reaches your desired price. Look into dollar-cost averaging to spread out your risk, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Northern Star Resources. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock and the business performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Northern Star Resources key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Northern Star Resources stock a buy or sell?
- Northern Star Resources performance over time
- Are Northern Star Resources shares over-valued?
- Northern Star Resources's financials
- How volatile are Northern Star Resources shares?
- Does Northern Star Resources pay a dividend?
- Have Northern Star Resources shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Northern Star Resources stock price (ASX:NST)Use our graph to track the performance of NST stocks over time.
Northern Star Resources shares at a glance
|52-week range||$7.8764 - $11.59|
|50-day moving average||$9.7666|
|200-day moving average||$9.571|
|Dividend yield||$0.195 (2.28%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||$0.992|
Compare share trading platforms
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Is it a good time to buy Northern Star Resources stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. However, this is not a recommendation. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Northern Star Resources price performance over time
|1 week (2022-06-03)||-5.35%|
|1 month (2022-05-11)||-4.81%|
|3 months (2022-03-11)||-22.96%|
|6 months (2021-12-10)||-8.57%|
|1 year (2021-06-11)||-27.65%|
|2 years (2020-06-11)||-40.10%|
|3 years (2019-06-11)||-12.79%|
|5 years (2017-06-09)||66.07%|
Is Northern Star Resources under- or over-valued?
Valuing Northern Star Resources stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Northern Star Resources's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Northern Star Resources's P/E ratio
Northern Star Resources's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 9x. In other words, Northern Star Resources shares trade at around 9x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Northern Star Resources's EBITDA
Northern Star Resources's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is $873.1 million (£0.0 million).
The EBITDA is a measure of a Northern Star Resources's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Northern Star Resources financials
|Revenue TTM||$3.5 billion|
|Gross profit TTM||$140.2 million|
|Return on assets TTM||-1.62%|
|Return on equity TTM||21.71%|
|Market capitalisation||$9.9 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Northern Star Resources share dividends
Dividend payout ratio: 57.35% of net profits
Recently Northern Star Resources has paid out, on average, around 57.35% of net profits as dividends. That has enabled analysts to estimate a "forward annual dividend yield" of 2.28% of the current stock value. This means that over a year, based on recent payouts (which are sadly no guarantee of future payouts), Northern Star Resources shareholders could enjoy a 2.28% return on their shares, in the form of dividend payments. In Northern Star Resources's case, that would currently equate to about A$0.195 per share.
Northern Star Resources's payout ratio would broadly be considered high, and as such this stock could appeal to those looking to generate an income. Bear in mind however that companies should normally also look to re-invest a decent amount of net profits to ensure future growth.
The latest dividend was paid out to all shareholders who bought their shares by 6 March 2022 (the "ex-dividend date").
Have Northern Star Resources's shares ever split?
Northern Star Resources's shares were split on 9 September 2009.
Northern Star Resources share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Northern Star Resources's shares have ranged in value from as little as $7.8764 up to $11.59. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta measures a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Northern Star Resources's is -0.0076. This would suggest that Northern Star Resources's shares have been inversely-correlated to the average (for this exchange) – so when the broader market trended up or down, Northern Star Resources has bucked the trend.
Northern Star Resources overview
Northern Star Resources Limited engages in the exploration, development, mining, and processing of gold deposits in Australia. It also sells refined gold. The company holds interests in the Pogo, Kalgoorlie, KCGM, Jundee, Thunderbox, and Carosue Dam operations, as well as Paulsens, Tanami, and Bronzewing projects. It operates in Western Australia, the Northern Territory, and Alaska. The company was incorporated in 2000 and is headquartered in Subiaco, Australia.
Northern Star Resources in the news
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy BSP Financial Group (BFL) shares
Steps to owning and managing Endeavour Group shares.
How to buy HealthCo Healthcare and Wellness REIT (HCW) shares
Steps to owning and managing HealthCo Healthcare and Wellness REIT shares.
How to invest in the Bayrock Resources IPO
Everything we know about the Bayrock Resources IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to invest in the Critical Minerals Group IPO
Everything we know about the Critical Minerals Group IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to invest in the Chalkos Metals Limited IPO
Everything we know about the Chalkos Metals Limited IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Cluey (CLU) shares
Steps to owning and managing Cluey shares.
How to buy Koba Resources (KOB) shares
Steps to owning and managing Koba Resources shares.
How to buy Rincon Resources (RCR) shares
Steps to owning and managing Rincon Resource shares.
How to buy Payright (PYR) shares
Steps to owning and managing Payright shares.
How to invest in the Iltani Resources IPO
Everything we know about the Iltani Resources IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert