How to buy IDP Education shares | A$19.09
Own IDP Education shares in just a few minutes.
IDP Education Limited is an education & training services business based in Australia. IDP Education shares (IEL) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Its last market close was $19.09 – a decrease of 1.14% over the previous week. IDP Education has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $587.1 million.
How to buy shares in IDP Education
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for IDP Education. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: IEL. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until IDP Education reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $19.09, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of IDP Education. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
IDP Education share priceUse our graph to track the performance of IEL stocks over time.
IDP Education shares at a glance
|Latest market close||AUDA$19.09|
|52-week range||AUDA$9.9 - AUDA$25.17|
|50-day moving average||AUDA$17.7611|
|200-day moving average||AUDA$15.6506|
|Dividend yield||AUDA$0.24 (1.24%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||AUDA$0.261|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy IDP Education stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
IDP Education price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-24)||-1.50%|
|1 month (2020-09-01)||0.16%|
|3 months (2020-07-01)||15.07%|
|6 months (2020-04-01)||65.14%|
|1 year (2019-10-01)||21.44%|
|2 years (2018-10-01)||87.71%|
|3 years (2017-09-29)||237.88%|
|5 years (2015-09-27)||N/A|
Is IDP Education under- or over-valued?
Valuing IDP Education stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of IDP Education's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
IDP Education's P/E ratio
IDP Education's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 74x. In other words, IDP Education shares trade at around 74x recent earnings.
That's relatively high compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The high P/E ratio could mean that investors are optimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're over-valued.
IDP Education's EBITDA
IDP Education's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is $111.4 million.
The EBITDA is a measure of a IDP Education's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
IDP Education financials
|Revenue TTM||$587.1 million|
|Operating margin TTM||17.43%|
|Gross profit TTM||$177.5 million|
|Return on assets TTM||11.94%|
|Return on equity TTM||24.8%|
|Market capitalisation||$5.4 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
IDP Education share dividends
Dividend payout ratio: 91.99% of net profits
Recently IDP Education has paid out, on average, around 91.99% of net profits as dividends. That has enabled analysts to estimate a "forward annual dividend yield" of 1.24% of the current stock value. This means that over a year, based on recent payouts (which are sadly no guarantee of future payouts), IDP Education shareholders could enjoy a 1.24% return on their shares, in the form of dividend payments. In IDP Education's case, that would currently equate to about A$0.24 per share.
IDP Education's payout ratio would broadly be considered high, and as such this stock could appeal to those looking to generate an income. Bear in mind however that companies should normally also look to re-invest a decent amount of net profits to ensure future growth.
The latest dividend was paid out to all shareholders who bought their shares by 4 March 2020 (the "ex-dividend date").
IDP Education share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, IDP Education's shares have ranged in value from as little as $9.9 up to $25.17. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while IDP Education's is 0.9805. This would suggest that IDP Education's shares are less volatile than average (for this exchange).
IDP Education overview
IDP Education Limited engages in the placement of students into education institutions in Asia, Australasia, and internationally. Its services include counselling, application processing, pre-departure guidance, examinations, English language teaching, client relations, digital marketing, online students recruitment, and shared services. The company is also involved in the distribution and administration of International English Language Testing System tests for study, work, and migration purposes. In addition, it operates English language schools. IDP Education Limited was founded in 1969 and is headquartered in Melbourne, Australia.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert