Charter Hall Retail Real Estate Investment Trust is a reit—retail business based in Australia. Charter Hall Retail REIT shares (CQR) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Its last market close was $3.53 – an increase of 3.82% over the previous week. Charter Hall Retail REIT has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $248.1 million.
How to buy shares in Charter Hall Retail REIT
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Charter Hall Retail REIT. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: CQR. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Charter Hall Retail REIT reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $3.53, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Charter Hall Retail REIT. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Charter Hall Retail REIT key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Charter Hall Retail REIT stock a buy or sell?
- Charter Hall Retail REIT performance over time
- Are Charter Hall Retail REIT shares over-valued?
- Charter Hall Retail REIT's financials
- How volatile are Charter Hall Retail REIT shares?
- Does Charter Hall Retail REIT pay a dividend?
- Have Charter Hall Retail REIT shares ever split?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Charter Hall Retail REIT's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Charter Hall Retail REIT's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was $3.53, which is 28.40% down on its pre-crash value of $4.93 and 31.72% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as $2.68.
If you had bought $1,000 worth of Charter Hall Retail REIT shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth $597.88 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth $751.08.
Charter Hall Retail REIT share priceUse our graph to track the performance of CQR stocks over time.
Charter Hall Retail REIT shares at a glance
|Latest market close||AUDA$3.53|
|52-week range||AUDA$2.68 - AUDA$5|
|50-day moving average||AUDA$3.284|
|200-day moving average||AUDA$3.3927|
|Dividend yield||AUDA$0.4 (11.76%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||AUDA$0.095|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Charter Hall Retail REIT stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Charter Hall Retail REIT price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-10)||5.37%|
|1 month (2020-08-19)||7.62%|
|3 months (2020-06-19)||-1.12%|
|6 months (2020-03-19)||19.66%|
|1 year (2019-09-19)||-16.55%|
|2 years (2018-09-19)||-19.59%|
|3 years (2017-09-19)||-10.41%|
|5 years (2015-09-18)||-10.63%|
Is Charter Hall Retail REIT under- or over-valued?
Valuing Charter Hall Retail REIT stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Charter Hall Retail REIT's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Charter Hall Retail REIT's P/E ratio
Charter Hall Retail REIT's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 36x. In other words, Charter Hall Retail REIT shares trade at around 36x recent earnings.
That's relatively high compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The high P/E ratio could mean that investors are optimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're over-valued.
Charter Hall Retail REIT financials
|Revenue TTM||$248.1 million|
|Operating margin TTM||66.06%|
|Gross profit TTM||$169.5 million|
|Return on assets TTM||3.4%|
|Return on equity TTM||2.24%|
|Market capitalisation||$1.9 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Charter Hall Retail REIT share dividends
Dividend payout ratio: 364.9% of net profits
Recently Charter Hall Retail REIT has paid out, on average, around 364.9% of net profits as dividends. That has enabled analysts to estimate a "forward annual dividend yield" of 11.76% of the current stock value. This means that over a year, based on recent payouts (which are sadly no guarantee of future payouts), Charter Hall Retail REIT shareholders could enjoy a 11.76% return on their shares, in the form of dividend payments. In Charter Hall Retail REIT's case, that would currently equate to about A$0.4 per share.
Charter Hall Retail REIT's payout ratio would broadly be considered high, and as such this stock could appeal to those looking to generate an income. Bear in mind however that companies should normally also look to re-invest a decent amount of net profits to ensure future growth.
The latest dividend was paid out to all shareholders who bought their shares by 28 June 2020 (the "ex-dividend date").
Have Charter Hall Retail REIT's shares ever split?
Charter Hall Retail REIT's shares were split on a 1:5 basis on 31 August 2010. So if you had owned 5 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Charter Hall Retail REIT shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 400% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Charter Hall Retail REIT shares which in turn could have impacted Charter Hall Retail REIT's share price.
Charter Hall Retail REIT share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Charter Hall Retail REIT's shares have ranged in value from as little as $2.68 up to $5. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Charter Hall Retail REIT's is 0.5741. This would suggest that Charter Hall Retail REIT's shares are less volatile than average (for this exchange).
Charter Hall Retail REIT overview
Charter Hall Retail REIT is the leading owner and manager of property for convenience retailers. Charter Hall Retail REIT is managed by Charter Hall Group (ASX:CHC). With over 29 years' experience in property investment and funds management, we're one of Australia's leading fully integrated property groups. We use our property expertise to access, deploy, manage and invest equity across our core sectors ? office, retail, industrial and social infrastructure. Operating with prudence, Charter Hall Group as Manager of CQR has carefully curated a $40 billion diverse portfolio of over 1100 high quality, long leased properties. Partnership and financial discipline are at the heart of our approach. Acting in the best interest of customers and communities, we combine insight and inventiveness to unlock hidden value. Taking a long term view, our $7.3 billion development pipeline delivers sustainable, technologically enabled projects for our customers.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert