Budget Direct Motorcycle Insurance
Budget Direct provides cheap motorcycle insurance options for Australians.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you want affordable motorcycle insurance, Budget Direct may have a policy for you. You can save 15% when you buy online, lower your premiums by increasing your excess and pay less by only allowing riders over a certain age to use your bike.
Finder's 3 favourite features
- Save 15% when you buy online.
- Pay less by adjusting your excess.
- Lower your premiums with a restricted rider age discount.
Ready to compare policies?
What motorcycle insurance policy options are available?
Budget Direct provides three levels of motorcycle insurance to choose from.
- Third Party Property Only Insurance. If your motorcycle damages other people's property, including their vehicles and homes, this policy will cover you for liability.
- Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance. This also covers you for liability but you can also get protected against loss or damage to your motorcycle due to fire and theft.
- Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance. As well as everything that the above policies include, comprehensive motorcycle insurance covers loss or damage as a result of an accident, severe weather, vandalism, replacement keys, theft hire car and more.
How do Budget Direct's motorcycle insurance policies compare?
The table below gives you an idea of how Budget Direct's motorcycle insurance policies stack up against one another.
|Included benefits||Comprehensive||Third Party Property, Fire & Theft||Third Party Property Only|
|Loss or damage to your vehicle||Fire and theft only|
|New motorcycle replacement||2 years|
|Damage to someone else's vehicle or other property||Up to $20 million||Up to $20 million||Up to $20 million|
|Damage caused by an uninsured driver||Up to $5,000 (including recovery, towing & storage costs)||Up to $5,000 (including recovery, towing & storage costs)|
|Towing||Fire and theft only|
|Hire car following theft||Up to 14 days (limit $1,000)||Up to 14 days (limit $1,000)|
|Damage to your trailer or sidecar in a collision||Up to $1,000|
|Replacement of stolen keys||Up to $1,000|
|Damage to personal effects in your bike's compartment||Up to $500|
|Emergency transport and accommodation||Up to $500|
|Accident clean-up||Up to $500|
What are the benefits of Budget Direct motorcycle insurance?
With a Budget Direct Comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy, you can get cover for the following:
- Loss or damage to your motorcycle. If any of the following happens, you'll be covered: crash, vandalism, storm, theft, attempted theft, fire, hail, and flood.
- New motorcycle replacement. If your new bike is written off within two years of its original registration, Budget Direct will replace it with a new one. If a replacement isn't available in Australia, they'll pay you the amount you originally paid for it.
- Damage to other people's property. All policies provide you with up to $20 million of legal liability cover. This means you'll be protected financially if your motorcycle damages someone's property, including vehicles they own.
- Replacement keys. You'll get up to $1,000 towards replacing and recoding your keys if they're stolen.
Why choose a motorcycle insurance policy with Budget Direct?
- Optional extras. If you take out a comprehensive motorcycle policy, you can choose up to four optional extras. This can include a hire car following an accident as well as cover for your riding gear.
- Cooling-off period. Budget Direct provides you with a full refund if you want to cancel within 21 days of purchasing a policy, so long as you haven't made a claim.
- Adjustable excess. If you want to lower your premium, you may be able to increase your Basic Excess, depending on how much your motorcycle is worth.
- Restricted rider age discount. You can restrict your policy, and lower your premiums, so that only riders over a certain age can use the bike. Options include 21+, 25+, 30+, 40+ and 50+.
- Monthly or yearly premium payments. Budget Direct lets you choose when you want to pay. Yearly premiums are cheaper.
- 15% online discount. If you buy a comprehensive, third party property or third party fire and theft motorcycle insurance policy online, you'll get 15% off the first year's premium.
What optional extras are available?
Pay a little more on top of your premium and you can get cover for the following:
- Accident hire car. If you're a comprehensive policy holder, Budget Direct can arrange a compact hire car if your bike is damaged in an accident. A hire car is already included in their Comprehensive and Third Party Fire & Theft policies, if your motorcycle is stolen.
- Riding gear. Riding gear can be expensive. Budget Direct can pay for repairs or replacement of your riding gear if it's damaged in an accident. Choose from up to $1,000, $2,000 or $3,000.
- Choice of repairer. If you prefer to use your own repairer, Budget Direct will let you nominate them.
- Reduced windshield excess. If you don't want to pay a large excess for windshield damage, you can reduce it to $40.
- An unlisted household member
- Anyone excluded on your Insurance Certificate
- Anyone using your bike without your consent
- Any unlawful purpose
- Carrying explosives, flammable, toxic, corrosive or polluting goods unlawfully or for business purposes
- The motorcycle being stolen while shown or test ridden for sale
- The rider not remaining at the scene of the accident when required by law
- Your motorcycle was being used in racing, trials or rallies
- Your motorcycle was being used in connection with the motor trade
- Your motorcycle was being used to carry passengers or other people's goods for payment
- Consequential loss
- Wear and tear, abuse, corrosion, rust or depreciation
- Incorrect fuel use
Note: Not all benefits are available on all types of cover. Limits, Terms & Conditions apply. See PDS for full details.
General exclusions to be aware of
Budget Direct motorcycle insurance will not accept if your claim arises from:
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Get quotes and compare your mobile storage options across Australia.
What is insurance fraud, and how does it affect my home insurance?
Curious to know what happens if you commit insurance fraud on a home insurance claim? Here's what we know, and why you probably shouldn't do it.
Fixtures and fittings: Why they matter in home insurance
Knowing the difference between fixtures and fittings can help you decide which home insurance policy is right for you.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Ask an Expert