Budget Direct Motorcycle Insurance
Budget Direct provides cheap motorcycle insurance options for Australians.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
If you want affordable motorcycle insurance, Budget Direct may have a policy for you. You can save 15% when you buy online, lower your premiums by increasing your excess and pay less by only allowing riders over a certain age to use your bike.
Finder's 3 favourite features
- Save 15% when you buy online.
- Pay less by adjusting your excess.
- Lower your premiums with a restricted rider age discount.
Ready to compare policies?
What motorcycle insurance policy options are available?
Budget Direct provides three levels of motorcycle insurance to choose from.
- Third Party Property Only Insurance. If your motorcycle damages other people's property, including their vehicles and homes, this policy will cover you for liability.
- Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance. This also covers you for liability but you can also get protected against loss or damage to your motorcycle due to fire and theft.
- Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance. As well as everything that the above policies include, comprehensive motorcycle insurance covers loss or damage as a result of an accident, severe weather, vandalism, replacement keys, theft hire car and more.
How do Budget Direct's motorcycle insurance policies compare?
The table below gives you an idea of how Budget Direct's motorcycle insurance policies stack up against one another.
|Included benefits||Comprehensive||Third Party Property, Fire & Theft||Third Party Property Only|
|Loss or damage to your vehicle||Fire and theft only|
|New motorcycle replacement||2 years|
|Damage to someone else's vehicle or other property||Up to $20 million||Up to $20 million||Up to $20 million|
|Damage caused by an uninsured driver||Up to your bike's market value or $5,000 (whichever is lesser)||Up to your bike's market value or $5,000 (whichever is lesser)|
|Towing||Fire and theft only|
|Hire car following theft||Up to 14 days (limit $1,000)||Up to 14 days (limit $1,000)|
|Damage to your trailer or sidecar in a collision||Up to $1,000|
|Replacement of stolen keys||Up to $1,000|
|Damage to personal effects in your bike's compartment||Up to $500|
|Emergency transport and accommodation||Up to $500|
|Accident clean-up||Up to $500|
What are the benefits of Budget Direct motorcycle insurance?
With a Budget Direct Comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy, you can get cover for the following:
- Loss or damage to your motorcycle. If any of the following happens, you'll be covered: crash, vandalism, storm, theft, attempted theft, fire, hail, and flood.
- New motorcycle replacement. If your new bike is written off within two years of its registration, Budget Direct will replace it with a new one.
- Damage to other people's property. All policies provide you with up to $20 million of legal liability cover. This means you'll be protected financially if your motorcycle damages someone's property, including vehicles they own.
- Replacement keys. You'll get up to $1,000 towards replacing and recoding your keys if they're stolen.
Why choose a motorcycle insurance policy with Budget Direct?
- Optional extras. If you take out a comprehensive motorcycle policy, you can choose up to four optional extras. This can include a hire car following an accident as well as cover for your riding gear.
- Cooling-off period. Budget Direct provides you with a full refund if you want to cancel within 21 days of purchasing a policy, so long as you haven't made a claim.
- Adjustable excess. If you want to lower your premium, you may be able to increase your Basic Excess, depending on how much your motorcycle is worth.
- Restricted rider age discount. You can restrict your policy, and lower your premiums, so that only riders over a certain age can use the bike. Options include 21+, 25+, 30+, 40+ and 50+.
- Monthly or yearly premium payments. Budget Direct lets you choose when you want to pay. Yearly premiums are cheaper.
- 15% online discount. If you buy a comprehensive, third party property or third party fire and theft motorcycle insurance policy online, you'll get 15% off the first year's premium.
What optional extras are available?
Pay a little more on top of your premium and you can get cover for the following:
- Accident hire car. A comprehensive policy already covers a hire car if your bike is stolen but for a little extra, you can get one if it's damaged in an accident.
- Riding gear. Riding gear can be expensive. Budget Direct can pay for repairs or replacement of your riding gear if it's damaged in an accident. Choose from up to $1,000, $2,000 or $3,000.
- Choice of repairer. If you prefer to use your own repairer, Budget Direct will let you nominate them.
- Reduced windshield excess. If you don't want to pay a large excess for windshield damage, you can reduce it to $40.
- An unlisted household member
- Anyone excluded on your Insurance Certificate
- Anyone using your bike without your consent
- Any unlawful purpose
- Carrying explosives, flammable, toxic, corrosive or polluting goods unlawfully or for business purposes
- The motorcycle being stolen while shown or test ridden for sale
- The rider not remaining at the scene of the accident when required by law
- Your motorcycle was being used in racing, trials or rallies
- Your motorcycle was being used in connection with the motor trade
- Your motorcycle was being used to carry passengers or other people's goods for payment
- Consequential loss
- Wear and tear, abuse, corrosion, rust or depreciation
- Incorrect fuel use
Note: Not all benefits are available on all types of cover. Limits, Terms & Conditions apply. See PDS for full details.
General exclusions to be aware of
Budget Direct motorcycle insurance will not pay if your claim arises from:
More guides on Finder
Pets in apartments: Sydney ruling sparks insurance questions
The NSW Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for pets in apartments. But there are things to consider before moving a furry friend into your home.
Best GPS navigation systems in Australia 2020
These are the best GPS Navigation Systems in Australia for 2020, as determined by thousands of real customer reviews.
La Niña warning for Australian homeowners
Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, the Bureau of Meteorology has declared a La Niña event.
As Australia reopens, don’t forget travel insurance
Travel insurance isn't just for overseas trips.
Life insurance for 35-year-olds
Compare life insurance policies for 35-year-olds
$1 million life insurance policies
Looking for $1 million life insurance? Compare policies here.
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
Top work perks: Aussies want more paid leave and insurance post-COVID
Finder asked 1,066 Australians about the top three perks they’d like their employer to provide in a post-COVID workplace. Flexibility, more leave and company health insurance topped the list.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
How useful is a home insurance calculator?
A home insurance calculator can give you a rough estimate on the value of your home and contents. But is that what you really want? Find out how to not underinsure or overinsure your home.
Ask an Expert