BP Rewards gives you a way to earn points for your fuel and selected in-store spending at participating BP locations around Australia. It's free to join and you have a choice of earning BP Rewards or Qantas Points. Both options let you redeem points to save on fuel spending, or for other rewards.
How to join BP Rewards
There are three ways to sign up for BP Rewards:
- BPme app: Download the app and set up your account, then follow the prompts to activate BP Rewards.
- Online: Fill in a form on the BP Rewards website and follow the instructions to complete set up. Note that you'll be emailed a link to set your password and need to do that within 7 days.
- In-store: Some BP locations have BP Rewards cards you can get when you're paying for petrol or other items. You'll then need to register it on the BP Rewards website before you can redeem your points.
How do I sign up for BP Rewards and Qantas Frequent Flyer?
Log into your BP Rewards account, choose the Qantas Points option and add your frequent flyer details. If you're not already a Qantas Frequent Flyer member we know of at least 13 ways to get a membership for free.
Once you're a member of BP Rewards, you just need to scan your BP Rewards card or your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card before you pay for fuel and other items at BP.
You'll then earn either BP Points or Qantas Points at the following rates:
- 2 points per litre of BP Ultimate Unleaded petrol
- 1 point per litre for all other fuel
- 1 point per $1 on eligible spending in-store
What is eligible spending?
You'll earn points on in-store spending for items including drinks, snacks and other basic retail items. Products that aren't eligible include things like smoking products, gift cards, pre-paid phones and mobile recharges.
You also need to use an "eligible payment method" – which covers most debit and credit cards, BP Points used to get dollars off your spending or an eligible BP Plus fuel card. You can see the full definitions on the BP Rewards site.
Your rewards depend on whether you choose BP Points or Qantas Points. Here's a look at both.
- Save on spending at BP: 500 points = $5 off your fuel or other spending at BP. Each point redeemed above 500 gives you an extra cent off your spending (e.g. 700 points = $7 off).
- David Jones eGift Cards: 1,000 points = $10 eGift card for David Jones. Redeemable for $10, $25 and $50 eGift cards.
- Save on spending at BP: 1,900 Qantas Points = $10 off your fuel or other spending at BP (capped at $100 value per transaction and $300 per day).
- Qantas Frequent Flyer rewards: Redeem your points for flights, accommodation, gift cards, retail items and other rewards through the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
BP Points vs Qantas Points: How to choose between them
There's no hard and fast rule for which type of points are "better", because everyone has different goals. But as a general guide, this can help you decide between them:
- If you want to save on fuel: BP Points give you almost twice as much value as Qantas Points when you redeem them for dollars off your spending at BP. Based on the reward values, every 1 BP Point is equal 1 cent of value, while 1 Qantas Point would give you around 0.52 cents value if you redeemed them for dollars off your spending at BP.
- If you want a choice of rewards: Qantas Points give you a lot more options, including flights and flight upgrades, hotel bookings, retail items and plenty of different gift cards. In comparison, BP Points only offer you dollars off your spending at BP or David Jones eGift cards.
Other things you should know about BP Rewards
- Switching between BP and Qantas Points. You can change the type of points you earn by logging into your BP Rewards account online or through the BPme app. If you change from BP Points to Qantas Points, your BP Points will be converted to Qantas Points. If you change from Qantas Points to BP Points, the points you've already earned will stay in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
- Points expiry. BP Points expire if you do not earn or redeem any points for 24 months in a row. Qantas Points expire if you don't earn or redeem Qantas Points for 18 months in a row.
- Exclusive offers. Sometimes, BP Rewards will offer bonus points or other perks for a limited time. You'll find details of any current offers in the BPme app, on the BP Rewards website or via email.
How else can I earn Qantas Points for my fuel purchases?
While the alliance is good news for Qantas frequent flyers, it is already possible to earn Qantas Points when buying petrol with either of these approaches:
What happened to the Virgin/BP partnership?
BP had previously partnered with Virgin Australia and offered the ability to earn Velocity Points through fuel purchases. That ended when the Qantas partnership with BP launched in 2020.
Our comparison tables are completely free to use. We link you directly to the lender's secure application page. Better still, we regularly have exclusive offers that you won't find on any other site.
We've researched and rated hundreds of cards as part of our Finder Awards
. We've published 200+ guides and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by a bank or lender. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every credit card in Australia on Finder.
We're here to help
Since 2012, we've helped almost 6 million people find a credit card by comprehensively comparing offers. We'll never ask for your personal information. We're here to help you make a decision.