Zip Money interest-free payments
Zip Money lets you buy now and pay later. Find out how.Zip Money is a simple way to help you pay for things without needing the cash upfront or a credit card. When you sign up and are approved with Zip Money, you’ll receive an initial line of credit of up to $3,000 that’s immediately made available to you.
You’re then able to use Zip Money during the checkout process of any participating Zip merchant. In addition, you have a default three-month window where you’re able to make repayments interest-free.
From 19.90% (variable)
Interest Rate (p.a.)
Min Loan Amount
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
How does Zip Money work?
You can sign up for a Zip Money account online or in-store. The application takes about three minutes and requires your residential, employment and financial information as well as your email address and phone number.
When you apply, you'll need to select from one of three credit limit tiers:
|Credit limit||Minimum repayment||Establishment fee|
|$3,000||$80 or 3% (whichever is greater)||$49|
|$4,000||$80 or 3% (whichever is greater)||$75|
|$5,000 - $30,000||$80 or 3% (whichever is greater)||$99|
If you are approved for an account you will be sent a contract which will indicate the interest-free period you will receive. All Zip Money accounts come with a minimum of three months interest-free but some come with longer periods. If you don't have an order attached to your application then this period will not be stated: it is only when you make a purchase that the period when you apply.
Once you agree to the contract and provide your payment information, you can now use and manage your account. Each purchase you make with your new account must be authorised by both you and Zip. After your purchase is authorised, Zip will pay the merchant on your behalf.
How do I repay with Zip Money?
Once you've used your Zip Money credit to make a purchase, you need to set up your repayments to be monthly, fortnightly or weekly. Zip Money will then automatically direct debit those repayments according to your chosen frequency and based on the minimum repayment. You can also make additional repayments whenever you like.
Keep in mind you can only use a debit card or bank account to repay with Zip Money.
Once your credit is repaid you can keep your account open. You won't be charged anything if your balance is $0.
Features of shopping with Zip Money
- Real-time approval. Signing up is quick and easy, enabling you to complete the entire process, including getting a real-time approval decision, in just a few minutes and even while checking out at a store.
- Interest-free period. Zip Money offers an interest-free period on all Zip Money transactions, after which your outstanding balance will be subject to the standard APR (currently 19.90% p.a.).
- Flexible repayment plans. Zip Money offers flexible repayments as long as you’re meeting the minimum monthly payment required outlined above.
- Automatic deductions. Direct debit is an extra feature of Zip Money, allowing automatic deductions to be made directly from your bank account.
- Borrow what you need. Unlike lump-sum loans disbursed upfront, with Zip Money you only borrow what you need to make a purchase.
- Account management features. Change your repayment amount or payment dates in your convenient online account.
How much will this cost me?
- Interest rate. After the interest-free period expires, you’ll be charged the standard annual percentage rate (APR) on your outstanding balance. This is a variable rate that currently stands at 19.90% p.a.
- Minimum monthly repayment. The minimum monthly repayment for your credit limit differs by tier and is outlined above.
- Monthly account management fee. There is a monthly fee of $6 charged any month that you have an outstanding balance.
- Establishment fee. While signing up and activating your account, you may or may not be charged a one-off establishment fee. If charged, the amount will be debited to your account and paid back over time.
- Late fees. If you don’t make your repayments on time or if you dishonour your repayments altogether, Zip Money reserves the right to levy additional fees and charges to your account. The amount may vary so refer to your contract for details.
How do I sign up with Zip Money?
Signing up with Zip Money is quick and easy. Visit the Zip Money sign-up page and complete the application process to get a real-time decision. The entire process usually takes no more than five minutes.
To qualify, you need to:
- Be an Australian resident over 18 years of age
- Be able to enter into a legally binding contract
- Have a valid bank account
While signing up, you need some personal identifying information as well as your bank account details to link it to your Zip Money account. Once signed up, you’ll instantly receive a decision and, once approved, you’ll activate your new Zip Money account by simply accepting the terms & conditions and entering the SMS code that would be sent to the mobile phone number you registered with.
Have more questions about Zip Money?
Is Zip Money safe?Zip Money uses 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption to protect all your information and financial transactions. 128-bit SSL encryption is the same technology used by banks all over the world.
How do I manage my account?
Once you’ve created your Zip Money account, you’re able to login and manage many aspects of your account including increasing or decreasing deducted repayment amounts, adding or modifying payment methods, tracking transaction activity, scheduling new repayment periods, accessing previous statements, viewing updated zip merchant lists, and more.
Am I eligible if I have bad credit?Zip Money uses a range of data to determine whether or not you can afford a payment plan. Bad credit doesn’t automatically disqualify you, but you will only be approved if you are in a good financial position. Note your credit history will be checked.
The buy now pay later sector is currently under an ASIC review. Find out more about this review.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.