Alternatives to Western Union
Need a cheaper alternative for sending cash transfers?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Western Union has tons of locations and a convenient cash pick-up option, but it's not the cheapest option out there and you may be better off using a different money transfer company. Here are some other options to consider.
Why is Western Union so popular?
Around for more than 160 years, Western Union is one of the oldest and most recognisable names in money transfers. Available in 200 countries and territories across the globe and with more than 500,000 agent locations worldwide, money pickups are easy and accessible.
- Low minimum transfer of $1
- Send money in minutes
- Transfer to a wide range of countries
- Cash pick-up
- Can be more expensive than other transfer companies
- High fees and unfavourable exchange rates can take a bite out of your money transfer
TorFX is a money exchange and transfer company that focuses on getting your funds where they need to go quickly. Unlike other services, it requires funds to be cleared by individuals who hold TorFX accounts. The money must be sent in advance before the transaction can be performed.
- Competitive exchange rates
- Free market news
- Price match guarantee
- Can only send from Australia
- Can only send from bank accounts, to bank accounts
WorldRemit provides a variety of transfer options, letting you send money from over 50 countries, and to more than 120 countries. It offers online, bank-to-bank and cash transfers. Similar to Western Union, the fees vary by country and situation.
- Flexible payment options
- Quick transfer process
- Transfers to mobile wallet accounts
- Cash pickup available
- Mobile airtime account transfers
- Fees vary widely and can sometimes be high
Like Western Union, OFX offers money transfers to many countries in a variety of currencies. But with higher maximum transfer amounts and no fees, OFX could be better if you're looking to do business or pay for exports overseas.
- Offer services to over 200 countries
- Wide range of transfer options available
- Android and iOS apps available for mobile transfer and tracking
- Significant amount of transfer fee applies for some countries
- Not the best exchange rate
- No cash payment or pickup, only bank deposits
- Transfer minimum of $250
- Limited currency options
- Not compatible with all online marketplaces yet
XE Money Transfer is a service designed to help you transfer your funds to a bank in a foreign currency, send cash to your family, make investments overseas or facilitate international business transfers. It charges $4 for transfers below $500.
- A trusted and established name in money transfers
- Low fees and competitive exchange rates
- Offers limit orders, forward contracts and other features
- Not available in as many countries or currencies as Western Union
Wise is a money transfer site focused on value for money. Uniquely, it offers mid-market exchange rates. However, it also charges fees of a fraction of a percent of the total transfer plus a flat amount.
- Offers mid-market exchange rates
- Apps for both iOS and Android
- Straightforward fees
- Transfers to bank accounts only. No cash pick-up option
- High fees can offset the benefits of mid-market exchange rates
Around since 1976, Travelex is an international money transfer service in around 200 countries worldwide. In addition to money transfer services, it offers a range of travel solutions such as foreign currency sales and travel cards.
- Forward contracts and other options can get more favourable rates
- Will be competitor prices with a valid quote
- No fee for transfers of $10,000 or more
- Exchange to more than 45 different currencies
- Exchange rates not always the most competitive
- A $15 fee applies to transfers under $10,000
Ria is the world's third-largest money transfer service, with more than 240,000 agent locations in 130 countries. It's known for its simple transfers, and aims to offer competitive fees and exchange rates.
- Wide variety of transfer options
- Good rates and minimal fees
- Online price calculator simplifies money conversion
- Cost-effectiveness varies depending on where you send money
- Maximum transfer limits may be too small for your needs
As the second-largest international money transfer service in the world, MoneyGram is one of Western Union's biggest contenders. Its transfers and exchanges currencies in over 200 countries and territories around the world to more than 350,000 agent locations worldwide.
- Extensive global network of 350,000 agent locations
- Secure and reliable
- Fast transfers, with same-day service in many locations
- Maximum online transfer amounts may be too low for your needs
- Fees can be high depending on payment type and transfer destination
- Exchange rates vary and may not always be the most competitive
In addition to payment support for online purchases, PayPal also offers overseas transfers to more than 200 countries and territories. While PayPal is like a digital banking service, its rates are competitive compared with most banks and financial institutions.
- Available worldwide
- Offers recurring payments
- Exchange rates fixed at 2.5% above mid-market rates
- Clear transfer fees, starting from $0.99
- Fees increase with amount transferred
- Credit card payments incur fees of a percentage of the total transfer
- Recipient also needs a PayPal account
Still looking for the right money transfer provider? Compare more options below
Check out the table to see some of the other money transfer companies in the industry. You can see how much a transfer would cost with each of them by using the calculator below. Alternatively, learn more about Western Union in our review.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
More guides on Finder
N95 vs KN95 face masks: What’s the difference?
It can be confusing knowing the difference between a KN95 and N95 face mask. We look at them both and where to buy them online.
9 tips for founders I learned from launching a startup in a pandemic
Here’s what Ryan Edwards-Pritchard learned so far about building a startup in the grips of a pandemic.
How to watch Arsenal vs Liverpool in the Carabao Cup live and free in Australia
Arsenal and Liverpool are locked at 0-0 ahead of their Carabao Cup semi-final second leg this week.
Australian rapid antigen test statistics
Heres how stock levels and prices are holding up for RATs in Australia.
How to Stake Olympus DAO (OHM)
Learn how to stake OHM and receive high yield from one of DeFi's most ambitious experiments.
Retroactive airdrop farming: How to prepare yourself for 2022
Being early to a new DeFi ecosystem can be very profitable – here's how to game the system and potentially earn yourself some tokens.
What is reporting season and why does it matter to investors?
Reporting season is a 2-week or so period where investors can see the results for a large number of publicly traded companies.
Bank First Green Personal Loan review
Bank First’s variable rate green personal loan can be used to make environmentally friendly purchases for your home.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Blackstone Minerals (BSX ↑12.7%), Weebit Nano (WBT ↑9.7%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Thursday 20 January 2022.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Transfer money overseas for $0. Valid till 15 February 2022. T&Cs apply.
Use one account to transfer money in up to 10 currencies without transaction or ATM fees.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
New customers get their first transaction for free with code FIRSTFREE. T&Cs apply.
Send money in minutes at competitive exchange rates with this Australian money transfer service.
Ask an Expert