Around for more than 160 years, Western Union is one of the oldest and most recognisable names in money transfers. Available in 200 countries globally and with more than 500,000 agent locations worldwide, money pickups are easy and accessible.
TorFX specialises in helping customers send large transfers abroad. Unlike other services, it requires funds to be cleared by individuals who hold TorFX accounts. The money must be sent in advance before the transaction can be performed.
- Strong exchange rates on major currency pairs
- Great for transfers above $2,000
- Price match guarantee
- Assigned dedicated currency expert
- Can only send from Australia
- Offer a limited number of currencies
- Only offer bank account to bank account
WorldRemit provides a variety of transfer options, letting you send money from over 50 countries, and to more than 120 countries. It offers online, bank-to-bank and cash transfers. Similar to Western Union, the fees vary by country and situation.
- Flexible payment options and quick transfer process
- Transfers to mobile wallet accounts
- Cash pickup available
- Mobile airtime account transfers
- Fees vary widely and can sometimes be high
- No options to hedge currency risk
Like Western Union, OFX offers money transfers to many countries in a variety of currencies. But with higher maximum transfer amounts and no fees, OFX could be better if you're doing business overseas or relocating.
- Offer services to over 200 countries
- Wide range of transfer options available
- Android and iOS apps available for mobile transfer and tracking
- Great for large transfers
- $250 transfer minimum
- Limited currency options
- No cash payment or pickup, only bank deposits
- Not compatible with all online marketplaces yet
XE Money Transfers is an online platform with competitive exchange rates and low fees. It is often preferred over Western Union due to its strong exchange rates, lower transaction costs, and user-friendly interface. It charges $4 for transfers below $500.
- A trusted and established name in money transfers
- Low fees and competitive exchange rates
- Offers limit orders, forward contracts and other features
- Not available in as many countries as Western Union
- Need to create an account to get a quote
Wise is one of the few transfer providers that offers the mid-market exchange rate. However, it also charges fees of a fraction of a percent of the total transfer plus a flat amount.
- Offers mid-market exchange rates
- Easy to use and quick sign-up process
- Straightforward fees
- Transfers to bank accounts only. No cash pick-up option
- High fees can offset the benefits of mid-market exchange rates
Ria is the world's third-largest money transfer service, with more than 240,000 agent locations in 130 countries. It's known for its simple transfers, and aims to offer competitive fees and exchange rates.
- Wide variety of transfer options
- Charges a flat transfer fee of $2.98
- Online price calculator simplifies money conversion
- Cost-effectiveness varies depending on where you send money
- Maximum transfer limits may be too small for your needs
As the second-largest international money transfer service in the world, MoneyGram is one of Western Union's biggest contenders. It transfers and exchanges currencies in over 200 countries and territories around the world to more than 350,000 agent locations worldwide.
- Secure and reliable provider with a long track record
- Extensive global network of 350,000 agent locations
- Fast transfers, with same-day service in many locations
- Maximum online transfer amounts may be too low for your needs
- Fees can be high depending on payment type and transfer destination
- Exchange rates vary and may not always be the most competitive
In addition to payment support for online purchases, PayPal also offers overseas transfers to more than 200 countries and territories. While PayPal is like a digital banking service, its rates are competitive compared with most banks and financial institutions.
- Available worldwide
- Offers recurring payments
- Exchange rates fixed at 2.5% above mid-market rates
- Clear transfer fees, starting from $0.99
- Fees increase with the amount transferred
- Credit card payments incur fees of a percentage of the total transfer
- Recipient also needs a PayPal account
Still looking for the right money transfer provider? Compare more options below
Alternatively, learn more about Western Union in our review.
More guides on Finder
Export and import statistics
Your guide to Australia’s key exports and imports, trading partners and economic complexity.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
What is NAB’s SWIFT code?
Search for the SWIFT code you need when sending money to NAB.
Ria Money Transfer promo codes
How much could you save on your next Ria international money transfer? Check out these promo codes to find out.
Remitly promo codes and discounts
Don’t pay too much for a money transfer. Check out the latest Remitly promo codes and discounts.
How to pay international credit card bills from Australia or overseas
From PayPal to international money transfers, compare your options for paying off an Australian credit card while working overseas.
Legal and tax requirements for transferring large sums of money into Australia
Are you due to receive a large sum of money from another country? Familiarise yourself with Australian laws and tax regulations regarding money transfers.
Compare international money transfer limits
Minimum and maximum transaction limits can restrict your international money transfer options, so compare overseas transfer limits in this handy guide.
What details do I need for an international money transfer?
What bank account details do you need to provide to send or receive an international money transfer? Your guide here.
The concise guide to international bank drafts
If you’re looking for a cheap and secure way to send money overseas, an international bank draft could be for you.
Ask an Expert