Petrol Credit Cards
Ready to earn points for your fuel expenses? Compare and apply for a petrol rewards credit card.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Petrol is often a necessary weekly expense, and one that you could be earning points on. A petrol credit card earns rewards points on fuel and can potentially save you a cent or two per litre. There aren't many of these left in Australia anymore, but you can still be rewarded at the pump with a credit card.
Save 6 cents per litre on fuel
Offer ends 31 March 2022
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Fuel Card Offer
Save 6c per litre off fuel purchases at Shell branded sites using the promo code 6FOR6 for the first 6 months with the Shell Card.
- Monthly fee of $2.50 per card ($30 per year)
- Earn 0.5 Flybuys points per $1 spent when you use your Shell Card at any Shell Coles Express site.
- Access to more than 1,250 sites
Credit Cards that offer Rewards Points for Spending on Petrol
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best Fuel Credit Cards in Australia
Save up to 4 cents per litre on fuel and earn Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
|American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card||This card allows you to earn up to 3 points per $1 spent on purchases at major supermarkets (including Coles and Woolworths), 3 points per $1 spent at major petrol stations, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other purchases.|
|David Jones American Express||Earn 3 reward points per dollar spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations.|
How do petrol credit cards work?
A petrol credit card works similarly to a conventional credit card, allowing cardholders to earn rewards when they purchase petrol on plastic.
There are two card options to consider:
- Direct earn petrol cards. Direct earn cards allow cardholders to earn cashback and discounts directly from purchasing fuel. They are not linked with any other existing rewards program but are connected to specific fuel retailers.
- Indirect earn petrol cards. These cards reward cardholders for spending on a variety of eligible purchases. Points can then be redeemed for petrol discounts and vouchers. The reward programs for these types of cards also allow cardholders to redeem points for a range of other rewards.
Petrol Rewards programs in Australia
Fuel cards can provide discounts and savings just by purchasing petrol. How much you save really depends on your lifestyle and spending habits.
American Express Platinum Edge credit card
American Express Platinum Edge credit card currently charges an annual fee of $195. It earns 3 American Express Membership Rewards points per $1 spent at major petrol stations (BP, Shell, Woolworths, 7 Eleven, Safeway Petrol and Peak & Gull). Points can be redeemed for a range of rewards including travel, gift cards and merchandise. They can be transferred to one of your preferred partner programs including Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer or Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Frequent Flyer. At a one-to-one point transfer rate, this means that you earn 3 frequent flyer miles with each $1 spent on fuel at major petrol stations. Cardholders also enjoy 55 interest-free days, and a purchase interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
The following table calculates rewards based on the American Express Membership Rewards “Points for credit” program, whereby cardholders can redeem points for monetary credit to be spent on your credit card. A minimum of 8000 points is required to redeem $50 worth of credit, which is equivalent to a 0.625 cent per dollar spent earn rate. This rate changes progressively in tiers, where you receive a better earn rate at larger denominations, e.g. 14,500 points redeems $100 and 36,000 redeems $250, etc.
|Weekly petrol spend||How many points per year||Rewards|
|$20||2,080||Nil. (You would have earned $13 worth in points but would be able to redeem $50 in credit only after 200 weeks)|
|$40||4,160||Nil. (You would have earned $26 worth in points but would be able to redeem $50 in credit only after 100 weeks)|
|$80||8,320||$50 (or $52 worth in points)|
|$200||20,800||$100 (or over $143 worth in points at an earn rate of almost 6.9 cents per dollar)|
|$300||31,200||$100 (or over $215 worth in points at an earn rate of almost 6.9 cents per dollar)|
If you are a frequent flyer and prefer to accumulate points for flight redemptions, this would be a good card to consider. Even when comparing the earn rate for cashback, this card offers a better earn rate than the Woolworths Everyday card. Do note that you have to spend at least $80 a week on fuel to get any rewards, and there is a higher annual fee.
Earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points refuelling at BP
If your credit card doesn’t earn rewards points when paying for fuel, you could also sign up for a petrol rewards card that lets you earn points when you pay for fuel and swipe your card at the register. For instance, BP and Qantas' partnership means you can earn up to 2 Qantas Points for every litre of fuel you buy at BP. Coles and Flybuys have a similar alliance, meaning you can earn Flybuys when you spend at Coles-Shell petrol stations.
What are the pros and cons of a fuel rewards card?
- Rewards. Any opportunity to receive rewards for necessary costs is a plus. The reward is also instant, with the savings added to your account immediately after your transaction has been approved.
- Additional cardholders earn rewards. You can often add a cardholder to your account, doubling the amount of points you could earn.
- Extra benefits. Credit cards often come with additional features such as a frequent flyer rewards program, complimentary insurance or interest-free days that could provide you with other benefits.
- High fees. Generally, there is a joining fee and ongoing annual membership fee when you sign up for a fuel rewards credit card. Some cards will also charge a service fee every time you fill up. Make sure that the value of the rewards exceeds the cost of the card.
- High interest.Typically, rewards cards expect you to pay your outstanding balance at the end of each month. If this is not possible for you, you could have to pay high interest rate charges on your credit card balance.
- Restrictions. Most petrol credit card providers are partnered with a particular service station. For example, if you have a Woolworths credit card, you’ll only be able to earn points. Make sure the card is partnered with the petrol station you usually go to each week.
- Reward card competition. With such a wide range of rewards cards available, the fuel rewards card may not offer as much value compared with the competition. Consider how much you spend on fuel and where you want to see your rewards go.
More guides on Finder
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert