Suncorp Landlord Insurance

An investment property can quickly become a financial burden. Landlord insurance can keep the rent rolling in.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Suncorp has a long history of providing financial services to Australians. As well as offering insurance policies, Suncorp also offers a range of benefits and deals with over 100 retailers, offering its customers discounts on groceries, savings on bigger purchases and instant rewards. While these bonuses might entice, do its policies stack up and can they protect your properties and contents? What is included and what exclusions are there? How easy is it to make a claim and how much will it cost you? Read on for a thorough breakdown of Suncorp Landlord Insurance.

warningSome landlord insurance policies have temporarily removed benefits such as rent default and a few others because of the pandemic. Make sure to check this with the insurer before deciding on a policy.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Suncorp website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.
Compare landlord insurance fast

What is included in my policy?

  • Your home. When a policy mentions your home or a building, this also includes pipes, cables, ducting, wires, switches, meters, fixed appliances, carports, patios, paved paths, driveways and other permanent fixtures (pools, spas, etc).
  • Your contents. Referring to property owned by you as the landlord or for which you are responsible. This includes carpets, curtains, blinds, furniture, furnishings, non-permanent light fittings, removable domestic appliances, utensils, swimming pools and their accessories.
  • Your tenants. If you’re renting your property you are covered for incidents that involve loss of rent. This includes if your property is damaged and declared unsuitable for use, your tenant breaks the lease, is unable to pay rent due to financial difficulties or if a tenant or their guest damages, vandalises or burgles your property or contents.

What benefits come with my cover?

Earthquake and tsunami
Theft or burglary by tenants or their guests
Theft or burglary by people who are not tenants or their guests
Accidental breakage of glass
Escape of liquid
Damage by an animal
Riot, civil commotion or public disturbance
Malicious acts or vandalism
Removal of debris10% of contents sum insured10% of property sum insured
Repair/rebuilding costs
Environmental improvements
Storage of undamaged contents10% of contents sum insured
Damage to gardens and plants
Mortgagee’s discharge costs
Loss of rentUp to 52 weeks of rent - 10% of contents sum insuredUp to 52 weeks of rent - 10% of property sum insured
Tenant Default
Prevention of access
Legal costs to recover unpaid rent$5,000$5,000
Damage from physical injury or incident
Lock replacement$800$800
Exploratory cost
Contents on common property$1,000
Matching undamaged parts$1,000$1,000
Legal Liability$20,000,000$20,000,000

What additional cover options are there?

  • Accidental damage. Protect your home and contents against any accidental damage that may occur to property or contents such as ceramic tiles, the TV, drink glasses and more. This cover also includes the cost of removing glass fragments from your property or contents.
  • Motor burnout. If an electric motor burns out or fuses, this optional cover will cover the cost to repair or replace the motor, whether it’s part of your home contents (home appliance, etc) or part of the building (garage door, etc).
  • Safety net protection. If the cost of repairing or replacing your home and contents after an incident exceeds the sum insured, this optional extra would increase the claim amount by up to 25%.

What exclusions are there?

There are certain situations or circumstances where you will not be eligible to make a claim. Typically, you will not be covered for:

  • Wear and tear or deterioration on old property or contents.
  • Deliberate damage to your property or contents by you or someone else with your permission.
  • Dodgy workmanship or faulty designs and defects.
  • Damage from the application of heat (for example, installing laminate).
  • Actions of the sea or earth movements within the first 72 hours of the policy.
  • Chemical damage from cleaning.

Your policy will have full details on exclusions, so be sure to read the fine print and raise any questions with your insurance broker.

Frequently asked questions about Suncorp landlord insurance

More guides on Finder

  • Travel insurance for seniors over 80

    Travel insurance is an essential expense for anyone planning a trip overseas, though sometimes it can be difficult to find cover if you are over 80 years of age.

  • Income protection insurance brokers

    The right insurance broker can assist you in finding the right policy by comparing the market based on your specific needs.

  • Life Insurance for Smokers

    Ever wondered how much more life insurance for smokers costs in Australia? Learn about how smoking and vaping can impact your policy.

  • Should I tell my life insurance company that I smoke?

    Find out how smoking will impact what you pay for life insurance, and what you can do to have your premium reviewed.

  • Expat Life Insurance

    If you're an Australian planning to live overseas, then the good news is you can take out Australian life insurance.

  • Holiday home insurance

    What to know about insurance before renting out your home, and what to look for in Airbnb insurance.

  • A beginner’s guide to Bitcoin and cryptocurrency ETFs

    If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to Bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.

  • Health insurance for sterilisation

    Find out how to claim vasectomies and tubal ligation with Medicare or private health funds, and the things you should know before going in.

  • Health insurance for kidney dialysis

    Dialysis treatment for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is covered by Medicare and private health insurance, but which offers the best cover?

  • Health insurance for podiatry

    Find out the steps needed to find adequate cover, and give you an assurance that you won’t have to pay the full cost of your podiatric surgery.

Go to site