Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health cover for overseas students who are studying in Australia. It is part of your student visa requirements and pays for your medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident while you are in Australia.
Who's it for?
The Australian Government requires all overseas students here on a student visa (subclass 500) to have adequate hospital and medical cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia. This applies regardless of whether you are applying for a student visa, already have one or are on a bridging visa while waiting to extend your student visa.
Any family members staying with you in Australia, including your spouse and any children under 18 years of age, must also have adequate health cover while they are here. Note that overseas student health cover is not quite the same as overseas visitors health cover, which is a broader category. Medibank offers some OVHC policies as well.
What are the different cover options?
Medibank OSHC meets your student visa health insurance requirements and helps towards the cost of your hospital and medical treatment if you are ill or injured. It provides cover for all types of student situations including Singles, Couples, Families and Single Parents.
These covers are flexible, allowing you to change from one to another as your situation changes. For example, if you want to add your partner to your cover, Medibank OSHC allows you to do so easily by switching from a Single to a Couples policy. Similarly, if you wish to add a dependent child, you can switch to a Family or Single Parent policy any time within two months, without having to serve any additional waiting periods.
Medibank OSHC offers a choice of Essentials and Comprehensive cover. Both levels of cover include Hospital, Medical, Pharmacy and Ambulance services, but Comprehensive cover also provides a higher Pharmacy limit than any other OSHC product.
Medibank overseas student health cover
- Essentials OSHC. Meets student visa requirements plus delivers an important level of cover and a range of additional benefits.
- Comprehensive OSHC. A specialised level of cover only available through certain schools and universities. Contact your educational institution to learn more.
|Medibank OSHC (Essentials)|
|Comprehensive hospital cover|
|Private and public hospital accommodation|
|Prescription medicine outside of hospital|
When you take out health cover, you can expect to find the following treatments covered by Medibank. You should always check for limits and waiting periods:
- Ambulance services
- Psychiatric treatment
- Obstetrics and pregnancy related services
- Appendicitis treatment
- Tonsils and adenoids removal
- Surgical removal of wisdom teeth (hospital charges only)
- Joint reconstruction
- Heart related admissions
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Hip and knee joint replacement surgery
- Renal dialysis
- Eye surgery
- Rehabilitation treatment
- Palliative care
- All other in-hospital services covered by Medicare.
- Outpatient treatment by a GP (outside of hospital)
- Outpatient treatment by a specialist (outside of hospital).
- Medication prescribed by a GP or specialist (outside of hospital)
- Access to health support services such as a registered nurse, counselling services, interpreter services, emergency legal advice, travel document assistance and family and friends message service.
There are a few Limitations and exclusions that apply to Medibank OSHC. These include;
- Certain students may not need OSHC (e.g. Norwegian students can be covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme, Swedish students by Kammarkollegiet and Belgian students by the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) between Belgium and Australia).
- Comprehensive Medibank OSHC is only available through selected schools and universities.
- Cover does not include extended family such as parents, grandparents, siblings and uncles and aunts.
- Fertility treatment is not covered by Essentials or Comprehensive cover.
- Waiting periods apply in some cases (starting from the date you arrive in Australia or become a member, whichever occurs later).
- No cover for cosmetic surgery, services not covered by Medicare, dental or podiatry surgical procedures, treatment for a child over 18 years old or medical treatments performed outside of Australia.
- If you take out a policy and then decide to cancel, you will only receive a refund if it is within the 30-day cooling off period and only if you have not made any claims on your policy.
How to find a Medibank OSHC provider
A Medibank OSHC direct billing provider is a medical practitioner who has an agreement with Medibank and sends the bill directly to them, meaning little or no upfront payment for you at the time of your appointment.
To find your nearest OSHC provider, follow this link and enter your address or location in the box provided.
How to make a claim
Claiming is easy with Medibank OSHC and your options include:
Medibank OSHC members have the following claims options:
- Online. Medibank Online Member Services
- App. Medibank OSHC App
- Phone. 134 148
- In-store. Medibank store locations
- On campus. Selected universities
- Direct Billing. Members choice network
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.