nabtrade vs CommSec: Which should you apply for?
Compare the fees and features of CommSec and nabtrade to decide which account suits you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
Whether you're a long term share investor or a day trader, no two investors are alike. As a result, you need to compare the account features of CommSec and nabtrade that are most relevant to you.
nabtrade vs CommSec features
In order to help you make a better informed decision, we've listed side by side, an overview of the CommSec and nabtrade share trading account's main features.
- $14.95 per trade up to $5,000
- $19.95 per trade over $5,000
- 0.11% of trade value for trades over $20,000.00
- Inactivity fee: No
- $10.00 per trade up to $1000 (with CommSec CDIA cash account)
- $19.95 per trade between $1000 and $10,000 (with a CommSec CDIA cash account)
- $29.95 per trade between $10,000 and $25,000 (with your own cash account)
- 0.12% of trade value for trades over $25,000
- Inactivity fee: No
- All international markets: AU$14.95 for trades up to Up to $5,000
- AU$19.95 for trades $5,000.01 - $20,000.00
- 0.11% of trade value for trades over $20,000.01
- FX fee: 0.50% to 0.80% of the trade transaction value
- Inactivity fee: 0.50% of average daily international holding balance (payable monthly)
- North America: US$19.95 for trades up to US$5,000, US$29.95 for trades up to USD $10,000, 0.31% for trades above USD $10,000
- Europe, Canada, Middle East, Asia Pacific: USD $39.95 or 0.40%, whichever is greater
- FX fee: 0.60% of the trade transaction value
- Inactivity fee: $25 per year
- Free dynamic data: Latest market insights will help develop your investment strategy.
- Advanced charting: Leverage nabtrade's charting tools to locate your next trading opportunity.
- Market insights: CommSec provide live share market data and reports, video tutorials, movements in stock prices and the latest market trends.
- Executive interviews: Video interviews with leading industry figures discussing investment strategies and opportunities.
- Order types: At market, limit order (with expiry date)
- Global Scanner: Source strategies for both local and global stocks.
- Real-time notifications: Keep up to date with any movements in share trading prices or volumes of shares traded.
- Order types: Market order, limit order (with expiry date)
- Charting tools: These can help you compare stocks and assess their value.
- Conditional orders: Using conditional orders can help you ensure your trades are placed even when you’re not actively assessing the market.
- Trading Central: This provides strategic insights to help with the timing of your investments.
- Wise-Owl.com: This identifies opportunities amongst ASX emerging companies.
- Investing Insights: Investment newsletter, webinars, podcasts and events for nabtrade members.
- Research platform: With a diverse range of research tools and reports, you can make better informed investment decisions.
- FAQ: nabtrade feature a comprehensive FAQ section.
- Customer Care: You can contact a nabtrade customer service representative Monday-Friday 8am-8pm AEST.
- CommSec Advisory: This advisory platform helps you to increase your wealth by accessing resources and professional guidance.
- Customer Care: You can contact a CommSec customer service representative Monday-Friday 8am-7pm AEST.
- Access: Trade online with nabtrade using the IRESS Trader app- available on iOS.
- Global Markets: Trade international shares across five markets, eight exchanges and over 10,000 global equities and exchange traded funds.
- Access: Manage your portfolio when you’re on the go with the free CommSec app, available on both iOS and Android.
- Global Markets: Access over 25 global markets with professional stock recommendations to help you manage and diversify your portfolio.
Should you trade shares with CommSec or nabtrade?
Both platforms are good options. CommSec and nabtrade have features that will appeal to new investors and experienced share traders but there are a few differences in their fees structures.
Neither platform has inactivity or account fees for the basic Australian trading accounts, however the tiered brokerage fees will suit different investment styles. For example, if you intend to trade just a few hundred dollars each time, CommSec has a cheaper option at $10 brokerage, compared to nabtrade's fee of $14. Alternatively, if you trade anything above $1000, nabtrade has a better brokerage deal in many cases.
Meanwhile, the costs for overseas share trading is quite different. For example, CommSec's broker fee for US listed stocks us is upwards of $19.95, depending on the trade amount, while all other overseas markets are $39.95 and above.
On the other hand, nabtrade has the same fee (upwards of $14.95) regardless of the country the stock is listed in. Read our comprehensive CommSec vs nabtrade international trading comparison page for more details.
Placing a trade is a fairly similar set up on both CommSec and nabtrade, each platform offering market order or limit order trading types with optional expiry dates. The below images show what you'll see when you place a trade:
Take a deeper look into the details of the CommSec and nabtrade share trading accounts. Click through the links below and take a look at our featured reviews of the two brokers.
- CommSec share trading review - "With a CommSec share trading account, clients can buy shares online quickly, easily and most importantly, affordably. Whether via their browser or mobile app, CommSec clients have access to real time quotes, news and state of the art charting to help give them the competitive advantage required to succeed in the share market."
- nabtrade online share trading review - "Whether you're a seasoned trader or someone who's new to the investment game, nabtrade simplifies the share trading process. The online trading platform has a user-friendly interface, comprehensive research and reporting available and a tiered service level tailored to your trading activity. Whatever type of trading you're looking to do, nabtrade can help you research, invest and optimise your trades and investments."
Compare share and CFD trading accounts
If neither CommSec or nabtrade look right for you, take a look at our guide on choosing the best online trading share trading platform or take a look at some of the brokers in the table below.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Important: Share trading can be financially risky and the value of your investment can go down as well as up. “Standard brokerage” fee is the cost to trade $1,000 or less of ASX-listed shares and ETFs without any qualifications or special eligibility. If ASX shares aren’t available, the fee shown is for US shares. Where both CHESS sponsored and custodian shares are offered, we display the cheapest option.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert