CMC Markets Invest Account review
Enjoy $0 brokerage for global share trading on US, UK, Canada and Japan exchanges.
Finder's rating: 4.7/5
If you’re looking to trade shares, CMC Markets can offer you the ability to execute fast trades with low brokerage and a range of research tools. This article is a product review for CMC Markets share trading only.
AUD $11 or 0.1%
Standard brokerage fee
ASX, NASDAQ, NYSE, London Stock Exchange, AMEX, Euronext, Hong Kong Stock Exchange, And more
Phone, Email, Live chat
|Type of broker||
Exchange traded options
Exchange traded funds
London Stock Exchange
Hong Kong Stock Exchange
AUD $11 or
What can I trade with a CMC Markets Invest Account?
You can invest in the following products with a CMC Markets Invest Account:
- Australian shares. Access companies listed across the ASX, SSX and Chi-X.
- International shares. Access 15 major markets including US, Canadian and UK markets. You can trade both international and domestic shares using the same account.
- Funds and options. Diversify your portfolio by investing in other popular products such as managed funds (mFunds), exchange traded funds (ETFs), Options and more.
What are the features of this account?
|Research and education||
- $0 brokerage share trading. You can trade stocks from US, UK, Canada and Japan without paying any commission fees.
- Live market data. 20-minute delayed market data is available for free, while live data is $0 for ASX. For dynamic data, a $41.25 monthly fee applies but will be rebated if you make more than 30 trades per month. You can also subscribe to live US market data for $11 per month.
- You have access to a range of research. CMC Markets offers top quality research tools help you make educated trading decisions. This includes company information, market depth, independent research and daily analysis from in-house analysts.
- Trade through multiple channels. Trades can be placed online, over the phone or from a CMC Markets app on your Android or iOS tablet or smartphone. Live chat, phone and email support are also available when you need help.
- Hedge your risks with order types. In addition to being able to place limit and at market orders, you can place unlimited free conditional orders through your CMC Markets Invest Account in order to reduce your risk.
What account types are available with CMC Markets?
CMC Markets Invest offers three membership options: Classic, Active Investor and Premium Trader.
|Membership option||Description||To qualify||ASX Brokerage rates|
|CMC Markets’ standard platform with low brokerage fees, free live data and a host of features||Make a maximum of 10 trades per month||First 10 trades: $11 or 0.10%|
11th to 30th trade: $9.90 or 0.08% 31st+ trade: $9.90 or 0.075%
|All the features of Classic plus free access to daily technical analysis emails and technical analysis data, and access to eScreener research reports||Make 11-30 trades per month OR Make more than 5 trades and incur more than $500 in brokerage per month||First 10 trades: $9.90 or 0.10%|
11th to 30th trade: $9.90 or 0.08%31st+ trade: $9.90 or 0.075%
|All the CMC Markets Active Investor features plus free dynamic data, exclusive access to CMC Premium Client events and educational resources, free tax and portfolio reporting||Make more than 30 trades per month||All trades: $9.90 or 0.075%|
What support and information is available with a CMC Markets Invest Account?
If you need assistance with your CMC Markets Invest Account, you can contact CMC Markets to speak with an experienced representative. Support options include phone, email and live online chat.
A range of educational resources are offered online, including webinars, trading guides, videos and instructional articles. While many resources are available for free, Premium Trader customers get access to the full range of educational resources.
Fees when using a CMC Markets Invest Account
As you can see in the table above, the brokerage fees charged by CMC Markets depends on your membership tier, but they can be as low as $9.90 or 0.075% (whichever is greater) for online trades. Phone trades will incur a brokerage fee of $59.95.
The other fees you will have to contend with concern your access to market data. While live market data is available for free, customers can also choose dynamic data ($41.25 per month). However, as the table above demonstrates, these monthly fees will be rebated if you make a certain number of trades each month and move up through the membership tiers.
What are the pros and cons of the CMC Markets Invest Account?
- Low brokerage fees. With $0 brokerage on US, UK, Canadian and Japanese markets and $9.90 for ASX shares, CMC Markets offers a competitive service.
- Award-winning provider. Head to the CMC Markets website to see a full list of the industry awards it has won.
- Wide range of trading options. CMC Markets allows you to trade a full suite of investment products from shares to managed funds.
- Execute fast trades. CMC Markets Invest Account trades are executed in less than one second.
- High minimum trade on global shares. There's a $1000 minimum trade value for all global markets.
- Hefty phone brokerage fee. CMC Markets charges a sizeable phone trade brokerage fee of around $60.
- High brokerage for some countries. Trading stocks outside of Australia, US, UK, Canada and Japan costs $59.95 or 0.59% in commission.
How do I apply for a CMC Markets Invest Account
If you'd like to sign up for a CMC Markets Invest Account, click ‘apply now’ to be securely redirected to an online application form.
Before you start the application process, make sure you have the following information handy:
- Your personal details
- Your tax file number
- Your driver’s licence number
- Your linked bank account details