We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Gilead (GILD) is a leading biotechnology business headquartered in the US and listed on the NASDAQ. Its share price jumped during the coronavirus pandemic after it receieved the green light from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for funding towards its experimental COVID-19 cure Remdesivir.
Although test trials remain underway, researchers at Chicago University announced in mid April that test patients of the drug had seen rapid recoveries of respiratory and fever symptoms, with most patients discharged in a matter of days.
How to buy shares in Gilead Sciences
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you’ll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you’re just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Gilead Sciences. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: GILD. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Gilead Sciences reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of US$60.03, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Gilead Sciences, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Gilead Sciences. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
Price details for Gilead Sciences (GILD)
Gilead Sciences stock priceUse our graph to track the performance of GILD stocks over time.
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Should I buy Gilead Sciences shares?
This is not a recommendation, it represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Gilead Sciences company summary
Gilead Sciences (GILD) is a leading Biotechnology business based in the USA. Gilead Sciences (GILD) is listed on the NASDAQ and employs 11800 staff.
|Industry||Drug Manufacturers—General||Currency symbol||$|
|Type||Common Stock||Country ISO||US|
|Name||Gilead Sciences, Inc||ISIN||US3755581036|
|Currency name||US Dollar||Full-time employees||11800|
Detailed company information
Gilead Sciences, Inc., a research-based biopharmaceutical company, discovers, develops, and commercializes medicines in the areas of unmet medical needs in the United States, Europe, and internationally. The company's products include Biktarvy, Descovy, Odefsey, Genvoya, Stribild, Complera/Eviplera, Atripla, and Truvada for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection; and Vosevi, Vemlidy, Epclusa, Harvoni, and Viread products for treating liver diseases. It also provides Yescarta, a chimeric antigen receptor T cell therapy for adult patients with relapsed or refractory large B-cell lymphoma; Zydelig, a kinase inhibitor; Letairis, an oral formulation of an endothelin receptor antagonist for pulmonary arterial hypertension; Ranexa, a tablet to treat chronic angina; and AmBisome, an antifungal agent to treat serious invasive fungal infections. In addition, the company offers its products under the name Cayston, Emtriva, Hepsera, Sovaldi, and Tybost. Further, it develops product candidates for the treatment of viral diseases, inflammatory and fibrotic diseases, and oncology. The company markets its products through its commercial teams; and in conjunction with third-party distributors and corporate partners. Gilead Sciences, Inc. has collaboration agreements with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company; Janssen Sciences Ireland UC; Japan Tobacco Inc.; Galapagos NV; Second Genome; Gadeta; Carna Biosciences Inc.; Nurix Therapeutics, Inc.; Humanigen, Inc.; Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Ltd.; Kyverna Therapeutics, Inc.; Glympse Bio, Inc.; Renown Institute for Health Innovation; Goldfinch Bio, Inc.; Insitro, Inc.; Novo Nordisk A/S; Yuhan Corporation; Kite Pharma, Inc.; oNKo-innate Pty. Ltd.; and Roche Holding AG. The company has partnership with Arcus Biosciences, Inc. to co-develop and co-commercialize next-generation cancer immunotherapies. Gilead Sciences, Inc. was founded in 1987 and is headquartered in Foster City, California.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy the iShares Edge MSCI Australia Minimum Volatility ETF | A$28.01
Steps to owning and managing iShares Edge MSCI Australia Minimum Volatility ETF units.
How to buy the iShares Edge MSCI Australia Multifactor ETF | A$29.27
Steps to owning and managing iShares Edge MSCI Australia Multifactor ETF units.
How to buy the BetaShares FTSE RAFI Australia 200 ETF | A$13.19
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares FTSE RAFI Australia 200 ETF units.
How to buy Kodak shares | US$7.46
Steps to owning and managing Kodak shares from Australia.
How to buy Sorrento Therapeutics shares | US$8.15
Steps to owning and managing Sorrento Therapeutics shares from Australia.
How to buy Marathon Patent Group shares | US$4.28
Steps to owning and managing Marathon Patent Group shares from Australia.
How to buy Kandi Technologies shares | US$13.62
Steps to owning and managing Kandi Technologies shares from Australia.
How to buy Taoping shares | US$3.18
Steps to owning and managing Taoping shares from Australia.
How to buy American Airlines shares | US$N/A
Steps to owning and managing American Airlines shares from Australia.
How to buy MGM Resorts shares | US$28.62
Steps to owning and managing MGM Resorts shares.
Ask an Expert