Types of personal loans
Getting a loan gives you access to money as and when you need it, and you can get one to serve just about any purpose.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
The kind of loan you should look for depends on what you want the money for, because different loans serve distinctly different purposes and they come with varied features. You might, for example, require a student loan to pay tuition fees, a car loan to buy a car, a personal loan to go on a vacation, or a home loan to buy a home.
How does a loan work?
While different types of loans offer different features and take different factors into account, one aspect remains the same: you borrow money, and you repay it in installments over a period of time along with any interest, fees, and charges that it attracts.
You can get a fixed rate loan or a variable rate loan, and they also vary in terms of secured and unsecured.
What are the types of loans available in Australia?
|Loan type||What is it?||Loan amount||Loan terms||Eligibility||Special features?|
|Secured personal loan||A loan used to purchase an asset that is used as a guarantee or a loan used for any purpose that requires a guarantee||$1,000 - $80,000||1 to 7 years||Lower interest rate than an unsecured personal loan|
|Unsecured personal loan||A loan that can be used for almost any purpose||$1,000 - $50,000||1 to 7 years||Funds can be used for almost any purpose|
|Car loan||A loan specifically designed to purchase a new or used car||$1,000 - $80,000||1 to 7 years||You can get a car loan for vehicles up to 10 years old|
|Short term loan||A loan up to $10,000 that is repaid in 16 days to one year||$100 - $10,000||16 days to 1 year||Can receive funds within the hour|
|Overdraft||A type of credit attached to a transaction account||$100 - $30,000||Ongoing||Access it from your transaction account|
|Line of credit||A maximum credit limit you can draw up to and including||$5,000 - $75,000||Ongoing||Only repay what you borrow|
How do I decide between my loan options?
If you aren't sure which loan type will be right for you, ask yourself the following to narrow down your options:
- How much do you need to borrow? The loan types have varying funds that will be available, and each lender will offer a different maximum and minimum loan amount. Make sure how much you need to borrow falls within that range.
- How long do you need the loan for? Each loan type has different loan terms. Find out what lenders are offering and pick a loan that offers an affordable repayments period.
- When do you need the money? Some lenders can have the funds to you sooner than others, and some loan types lend themselves to quick turnaround. For example, short term loans. Find out how long it will take to receive your funds.
- Do you want the option to access more money? Topping up a fixed amount loan, such as a secured or unsecured personal loan or a car loan, is difficult and usually involves you taking out another loan. If you think you might need additional funds, opt for an overdraft or line of credit.
Is there anything you should avoid?
- High interest rates. Some loans come with exorbitant interest rates, and in some instances, you might have to end up paying more in the form of interest than what you originally borrowed. These are situations you should avoid, and requires that you compare interest rates of loans before you apply.
- High fees and charges. Almost all loans types attract some or the other kind of fees and charges, and it is best that you find out about these at the onset. Avid taking a loan without addressing this aspect, and compare application fees, loan disbursement fees, exit fees, late payment charges, transaction charges, and all other applicable fees and charges.
Before you apply for any kind of a loan, know that you always have options in terms of lenders and comparable offerings. As a result, compare a few before moving forward with the application process.
Compare loan types
To get an idea of how much each loan types cost, and where you can save, compare rates and fees for the different loan types below. You can also click on the name of the loan to see details on fees.
- Get a personalised comparison rate based on your credit score
100% confidential application
Plenti Fixed Rate Personal Loan
Plenti offers this unsecured personal loan with a fixed or variable rate. Receive a tailored interest rate from 6.49% p.a. based on your risk profile.
- Interest rate from: 6.49% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 6.84% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: From $149 to $599
- Minimum loan amount: $2,001
- Maximum loan amount: $45,000
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
- No monthly fees
- No early repayment fees
- Borrow up to $75,000
100% confidential application
IMB New Car Loan
A low rate loan to finance new vehicles or cars up to two years old. Borrow up to $75,000.
- Interest rate: 4.99% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 5.34% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: $275.12
- Minimum loan amount: $2,000
- Maximum loan amount: $75,000
Valiant Finance works with a large panel of lenders that can help you find a loan for your business.
- Access to 60+ lenders
- Dedicated credit specialists
- Various loan options available
More guides on Finder
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Now Finance Secured Personal Loan review
Get rewarded for an excellent credit score with a Now Finance personalised rate secured personal loan. Rates vary between 5.95% p.a. and 15.45% p.a. Apply today.
How to buy Plenti shares
Everything you need to know before Plenti lists on the ASX.
Alex Personal Loan review
Alex is a neobank lender specialising in personalised rate personal loans. Find out more about Alex's personal loans and what fees and features are involved.
Plenti Personal Loans
Looking for a competitive rate? Plenti offers loans funded by investors with rates that are tailored to your personal circumstances.
Personal loans for laptops
Find out everything you need to know about getting a loan for your laptop purchase, including what's available, if you're eligible and how to compare.
Revitalised Audi R8 coming to Australia
Here's everything you need to know about the 2020 Audi R8, coming to Australia in only four weeks time!
What you need to know before you defer your loan repayments during COVID-19
If you are thinking of deferring your loan repayments because of coronavirus, here are the conditions you need to know about.
Coronavirus: What to do if you can’t afford your personal loan repayments
Struggling to repay your personal loan(s) as a result of COVID-19? Find out everything you need to know about what's being done to help people in your situation.
Business loans for SMEs affected by the coronavirus outbreak
Find out what business loan options are available during the coronavirus outbreak, and what the government is doing to help.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert