nabtrade online share trading account
We look at the fees, features and accounts offered by NAB's online broker.
Finder's rating: 4.1/5
Whether you're a seasoned trader or someone who's new to the investment game, nabtrade simplifies the share trading process. The online trading platform has a user-friendly interface, comprehensive research and reporting available and a tiered service level tailored to your trading activity. Whatever type of trading you're looking to do, nabtrade can help you research, invest and optimise your trades and investments.
AUD 14.95 for trades up to AUD 5,000
Standard brokerage fee
ASX, NASDAQ, NYSE, London Stock Exchange, AMEX, Hong Kong Stock Exchange
|Type of broker||
Exchange traded options
Exchange traded funds
London Stock Exchange
Hong Kong Stock Exchange
AUD 14.95 for
trades up to AUD 5,000
Buy and sell domestic and international shares online with nabtrade.
nabtrade is the online share trading platform of National Australia Bank (NAB). You can apply and manage your account online and keep track of market activity with NAB's complimentary mobile trading platform, IRESS. NAB also gives you access to comprehensive market research reports and information as well as notifying you of changes to help you stay on track.
As per the 2015 second half Investment Trends Australia Online Broking Report, nabtrade offered best value brokerage amongst the Big Four banks, as rated by clients. Opening and operating a nabtrade account is easy. You can do so online in minutes.
What nabtrade account options are available?
You can apply online with nabtrading and start trading in as little as ten minutes. There are four account options to choose from:
- Individual account. This account lets you trade in your own name.
- Joint account. This account lets you trade in joint names, with your partner for example.
- Company or organisation account. This account lets you trade on behalf of a company or organisation.
- SMSF, trust or minor account. This account lets you trade on behalf of a trust, which includes a Self-Managed Super Fund (SMSF).
What can I trade with nabtrade?
You get multiple trading alternatives through your nabtrade account. Your options include:
- Australian and international shares. You get real-time access to more than 10,000 securities from the world over, using your computer, tablet or smartphone. Real-time streaming of ASX prices is free for all nabtrade clients, so you don’t have to refresh price quotes periodically.
- Exchange traded funds. If you’re looking at diversifying your investment portfolio, investing in exchange traded funds (ETFs) using nabtrade can work well for you. You get access to different managed portfolios, hard and soft commodities as well as indices.
- Exchange traded options. If you wish to protect your portfolio, leverage your position or generate income, you can invest in exchange traded options (ETOs).
- Warrants. Companies issue warrants, so they’re not instruments of the stock market. You can take short or long positions when you trade in warrants. You can use them as means to protect your portfolio by employing a suitable risk mitigation strategy.
- Listed investment companies. All nabtrade clients get access to leading portfolio managers through whom they can get exposure to Australian and international listed investment companies (LICs).
- Hybrid securities. Investors typically turn to hybrid securities for income generation. They tend to come with elements of debt and equity securities. Like debt securities, they usually promise to pay a fixed or floating rate of interest until a given date.
- Real estate investment trusts. By investing in listed Australian real estate investment trusts (REITs), you get exposure to property based assets.
- Fixed income or bonds. Fixed income investments give you the ability to add more diversity to your portfolio. Through nabtrade, you can access high credit rating alternatives such as Australian Government Bonds.
What are the features of this account?
|Research and education||
All your accounts have one login, one statement and one total wealth view. With just one login you can access over 10,000 investment options.
Research reports + ASX recommendations
NAB offers a comprehensive range of market research reports to help you make well-informed trading decisions. Plus, NAB gives you access to research recommendations for over 1,500 ASX listed companies, which is more than any other online broker.
nabtrade gives you a linked cash account as well as the option of linking a high interest savings account to allow for instant transfers, unlimited deposits and a competitive variable interest rate.
Alerts and notifications
You can create alerts for movements in prices, technical analysis parameters, changes or events with your portfolio or index price levels and more. Depending on your service level you receive a different amount of free alerts.
You can use nabtrade IRESS to trade via your phone or tablet device. The app allows you to monitor live data which is refreshed at an interval of your choice and this is free to all nabtrade customers.
You get access to dynamic data for free. What you get to see are real-time streaming dynamically updated ASX prices, provided using technology by Reuters. You get to make custom watchlists, the Global Scanner tool lets you scout for opportunities and you can setup alerts as per your needs.
You can place limit orders, markets orders and conditional orders through nabtrade.
The markets you have access to include Australian Stock Exchange (ASX), Chi-X, New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), AMEX, NASDAQ, London Stock Exchange (LSE) and Xetra.
Global Market Trading service
Enjoy the benefits of trading international shares whilst utilising NAB's competitive exchange rate, that gets locked in when your trade order executes so you won't have to worry about fluctuation in exchange rates between the time you book your trade and when it settles. Trade shares in the US, UK, Germany as well as Hong Kong just as easily as trading shares on the ASX.
What are the service levels?
When you sign up to nabtrade you will be given three months complimentary access to the 'Silver' service level. After this initial period you must either meet eligibility criteria for a service level upgrade at no extra charge or pay an additional monthly subscription fee to upgrade to a level of your choosing. Here is a breakdown of the different service levels available.
|Silver||Bronze level access, plus:||No charge|
|Gold||Silver level access, plus:||No charge|
|Platinum||Gold level access, plus:||$19.95 (incl. GST) per month or no charge if criteria met|
|Platinum + IRESS||Platinum level access, plus:||$59.95 (incl. GST) per month or no charge if criteria met|
What are the fees for trading shares?
The following fees apply when trading domestic and international shares. Note that international trades will incur a foreign exchange conversion spread added to the exchange rate.
|Trade size||Brokerage fee per trade (inc. GST)|
|Up to $5000||$14.95|
|$5000.01 - $20,000||$19.95|
|Over $20,000||0.11% of trade value|
|Over the phone trades||$59.95 or 0.55% of trade value (whichever is higher)|
How do I pay for shares?
You can load funds into your nabtrade account to pay for shares through the following ways:
- Request funds from your linked NAB Bank account. To do this you need to log into your nabtrade account, go to Cash > Make a funds transfer. The funds will be available immediately.
- Transfer funds in from a NAB or non-NAB bank account. This can be done by transferring money from your existing financial institution to the BSB and account number of your nabtrade Cash Account. This can take up to three business days.
- BPAY. You can BPAY funds into your nabtrade Cash Account if your account supports BPAY transfers. To find the biller code and your BPAY reference number go to Cash > Cash Account > Account Details.
What are the pros and cons?
- No monthly account service fees for the Bronze, Silver and Gold service levels
- 3 months complimentary access to the ‘Silver’ service level
- Linked cash account that earns interest
- Access over 10,000 investment options
- Mobile trading via the nabtrade IRESS Trader app
- nabtrade does not offer unlisted managed funds to clients, only listed funds and Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
- This provider does not provide 24/7 support
- Inactivity fee of 0.50% of your portfolio on international shares if you make no trades in a year
Opening an account
When you open a new nabtrade account you'll receive a domestic trading account, an international trading account and linked cash account. You also have the option of setting up and linking an NAB High Interest Savings Account and margin lending account.
If you're not already a NAB customer, you'll need to provide passport or license details, your home address and an email address.
In order to qualify for a nabtrade account, you must 18-years or older and an Australian resident.
Help! I have some more questions
No, non-residents can apply, but all applications from people living overseas require risk and compliance approval based on background checks.