Money Hack: How to earn reward points at the movies
Earn reward points while stuffing your face with popcorn.
Did you know that you can reward yourself with more than a trip to the snack bar next time you go to the movies? Last week we showed Aussies how they can cut back on movie costs, but this week we’ve prepared a mixed bag of all the ways you can earn reward points the next time you catch a flick.
As well as the Event Cinemas and Hoyts individual reward programs, you can also collect frequent flyer and supermarket reward points at the movies. As long as you purchase an Events Cinema or HOYTS voucher online or in-store, you’ll collect points for every dollar you spend. Exactly how many points you’ll score will vary from program to program, so we’ve provided a breakdown of the details below:
- Qantas. Purchase a voucher at Event Cinemas, HOYTS and independent cinemas under the National Cinema Network to collect 2 Qantas Points per $1 you spend. You have to purchase a minimum of four vouchers to qualify for the points.
- Coles flybuys. If you pick up an Events Cinemas or Village Cinemas gift card at Coles, you can collect 1 flybuys points per dollar you fork out. While Velocity doesn’t have any direct cinema partners, you could always trade your flybuys points for Velocity Points at a rate of 2,000 flybuys points for 870 Velocity Points.
- Woolworths. Woolworths Rewards members can collect 1 point per dollar spent on Events Cinemas and HOYTS e-gift cards. If you’d prefer a night in at the movies, you can even purchase and earn points on Netflix vouchers bought on the Woolworths gift card store.
If you’re a massive movie buff, signing up to Event Cinemas or HOYTS loyalty programs could offer even more rewards:
- Event Cinemas Cinebuzz Rewards. You can earn points for every movie you see (plus 25 bonus points when you book online), enjoy weekly movie discounts and access exclusive advance screenings with Cinebuzz Rewards.
- HOYTS Rewards. If you join the free HOYTS Bronze loyalty program, you’ll get discount movies each week, pre-sale on select blockbusters plus Candy Bar promotions to save on your obligatory movie M&Ms. You can also join HOYTS Silver for $13 p.a. to enjoy 10% back in HOYTS Dollars on most purchases, a free movie ticket when you join and a free scoop at the Ben & Jerry’s counter at select cinemas on top of the standard loyalty program perks.
finder money hacks is a bi-weekly roundup of the latest tips and tricks to improve your finances. Check back every Wednesday and Saturday for new hacks.