How to send money to Vanuatu
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Vanuatu.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
The pacific island nation of Vanuatu has been overlooked by most online money transfer companies. The vatu is not a major currency and there are less than a few providers you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
Even though Australian banks ANZ and Westpac have a presence in Vanuatu, going through your bank may not be the cheapest way to transfer funds. If speed is a factor, Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash quick – for a price.
We put all these factors side by side in our comparison below.
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- Banks versus international money transfer companies
- How do I compare money transfer companies?
- How do I send money to Vanuatu from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Vanuatu in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Vanuatu
- Cash pickup locations for Western Union/MoneyGram branches in Vanuatu
- Western Union
- Tips for picking up cash in Vanuatu
- What are the steps to send money to Vanuatu?
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus international money transfer companies
You can see the price compared to the speed factor in the table below.
|Bank - CBA||Money transfer company - Worldfirst||International cash payment service - Western Union|
|Exchange rate||AUD 1 = 76.271 VUV||1 AUD = 80.246 VUV||1 AUD = 77.175 VUV|
|Transfer fee||$22 AUD||$10 AUD||$70 AUD|
|Amount received for $1000 AUD (in Vanuatu vatu)||1 AUD = 77.1756 VUV||1 AUD = 80,246.19 VUV||1 AUD = 77,175.57 VUV|
|Transfer time||2 - 4 business days||2 - 3 business days||In minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit||Cash|
|Difference of||+3.975 VUV|
Correct 06/02/15 1.20PMBack to top
How do I compare money transfer companies?
Have a look at these different features when you’re comparing quotes to send money to Vanuatu.
- Exchange rate. First look to see whether you can exchange dollars to vatu. Then check what rate the provider can offer.
- Transfer fee. An additional charge to send money to Vanuatu. Compare the exchange rate of first transfer free offers. The transfer fee can be included through an inflated forex margin.
- Pick up method. Pick up methods include cash collection and bank account deposits.
- Payment method. You can send money to Vanuatu online by paying for your transfer using your credit or debit card. You can also pay cash at a Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
- Transfer time. The transfer time varies depending on the payment and collection methods. Cash transfers can be collected right away whereas bank account transfers can take up to a couple of days to clear.
- Transfer limits. Compare transfer limits if you’re looking to send less than $100 or more than $5,000.
- Transfer options. Most providers can arrange a one-off payment but, not all providers offer limit orders, rate targeting and forward contracts.
- Customer service. Can you contact the provider outside of business hours if you have an issue with your money transfer to Vanuatu. The provider should also give you the means to track your order once you’ve paid for the transaction.
How do I send money to Vanuatu from Australia?
Even though Vanuatu is geographically close to Australia, there are only a few money transfer companies you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
To send money to a bank account in Vanuatu, log on to your online banking facility and look for the international payments menu. You may need to create a new beneficiary if this is your first payment.
The exchange rate is displayed at the time of the transaction and transfer fees apply. Bank to bank transfers can take up to six business days.
- If you’re a Westpac customer, you can send money to Vanuatu for half the transfer fee when you request an overseas telegraphic transfer at a Westpac branch.
International cash payment service
These companies can send cash to Vanuatu in minutes. Log on to the provider’s website and make a payment using your credit or debit card. Send the reference code to the recipient so they can collect the cash.
- Western Union. Western Union have four cash agents in Port-Vila, Vanuatu’s largest city and three agents in Luganville, the second-largest city.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram have fewer agents in Vanuatu than Western Union. Both companies have a similar fee structure.
Online money transfer companies
Online foreign exchange and payment providers can exchange Australian dollars and send money to a bank account in Vanuatu. These companies can be cheaper than the banks or international cash payment providers, and rates are closer to the interbank rate too.
- OFX - Send money to Vanuatu using OFX. OFX offer personal and business international payment services. Funds can be delivered to a Vanuatu bank account in two to three business days.
- Worldfirst - Worldfirst offer a simple fee structure and a competitive rate, book options and forward orders as well as one off spot contracts to Vanuatu.
How do I receive money from Vanuatu in Australia?
You have these options to receive funds from Vanuatu in Australia.
- Bank account. Provide your bank’s SWIFT code, your BSB, account name, number and address to receive money in your bank account. You may be charged a fee for receiving money from Vanuatu into your Australian bank account and you should receive an email from your bank once the money has been credited to your account.
- Cash payment. Provide the reference number and photographic identification such as your passport to collect a cash payment from Vanuatu. You may want to ring ahead if you’re planning to pick up a large amount of cash.
Emergency cash transfers in Vanuatu
There are a couple of options to get cash sent quickly from Australia.
- International cash payment. Western Union and MoneyGram both have agents in Vanuatu. There are about a dozen merchants in Port-Vila and Luganville such as Westpac bank where cash can be collected. Funds are ready to collect minutes after the transaction has been paid for in Australia.
- Emergency cash assistance. Your card provider may be able to make the funds in your account available as cash if your card is lost or stolen. Contact your card provider to start the process. It can take a day to process a request for emergency cash assistance.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance provider may be able to issue cash in the event of a covered emergency. Check your policy’s product disclosure statement for further information.
Cash pickup locations for Western Union/MoneyGram branches in Vanuatu
You can see a snapshot of the different agents open available on the islands of Vanuatu. Western Union have more cash agents in Vanuatu than MoneyGram.
- Fexco Pacific
Vate Electrics Building, Lini Highway,Port Vila. Open Monday to Saturday 8am to 5pm +678-23197
- Vanuatu Post
Lini Highway, Po Box 43, Port Vila. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 5pm. Open Saturday 7.30am to 11.30am +678-22000
- Malo Postal Agent
Malo Island, Sanma Province, Malo, Sanma. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 5pm +678-22000
- Vanuatu Post
General Post Office, Luganville Post, Luganville, Santo Island. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 4.30pm. Open Saturday 7.30am to 11.30am
- Westpac Bank
Road PMB Main, Luganville. Open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm +678-36625
- Westpac Bank
Lini Highway, P.O Box 32, Port-Vila. Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm +678-22084
Tips for picking up cash in Vanuatu
Take normal safety precautions when you’re visiting Vanuatu. Smartraveller.gov.au advises instances of robbery, assault and sexual assault against foreigners do occur, but the crime rate in Vanuatu is low.
Take precautions if you’re picking up cash: travel in a group, carry a money belt, speak to the hotel to arrange an escort. International hotels should be able to provide some assistance if you’re concerned about traveling alone to collect money.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Vanuatu?
Bank transfer. As well as the receiver’s bank account information you’ll also need the following details to send money to Vanuatu.
- SWIFT BIC Address
- Bank country
- Bank city
- Bank name
Online money transfer company. If you want to send money to Vanuatu using one of the money transfer companies we’ve mentioned on this page, you’ll need to create an account to start the transfer. Provide the following information to register for a free account.
- Personal details, ie D.O.B
- Contact information, ie home or mobile phone number
- Residency details
- Identification. You may be required to send a copy of your passport to verify your identification.
You’ll be provided with a tracking number you can use to monitor the status of your money transfer following payment for the transaction.
More guides on Finder
Put your savings on autopilot: 4 money hacks for lazy people
SPONSORED: Saving money shouldn't feel like a chore. Here are four ways you can save more money while basically doing nothing at all.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
8 personal finance habits to get more out of life
SPONSORED: Hacks to help you spend less time thinking about your money and more time enjoying it.
How does life insurance work?
All your questions about life insurance answered. Find out how life insurance works and how to get the right cover for you.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
You can now pay for Bitcoin at Australia Post (with 5.9% in fees)
For only ~7% all up in fees and spreads you can start enjoying an impractical new payment method.
Podcast: Curveballs – how to stay resilient when the going gets tough
In this episode of Pocket Money, we talk about how to cope when life goes wrong, financially, emotionally or physically. From coronavirus to cancer, how can you learn to bounce back quicker and in better shape than ever?
Podcast: How to recession-proof your finances during COVID-19
If we're heading for an economic recession, it's time to start taking your personal finances seriously. This podcast is a how-to guide for all Australians.
Fisher & Paykel share price (ASX:FPH) | How to buy Fisher & Paykel shares
Everything you need to know about buying FISHER & PAYKEL shares.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert