How to send money to Vanuatu
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Vanuatu.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The pacific island nation of Vanuatu has been overlooked by most online money transfer companies. The vatu is not a major currency and there are less than a few providers you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
Even though Australian banks ANZ and Westpac have a presence in Vanuatu, going through your bank may not be the cheapest way to transfer funds. If speed is a factor, Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash quick – for a price.
We put all these factors side by side in our comparison below.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus international money transfer companies
You can see the price compared to the speed factor in the table below.
|Bank - CBA||International cash payment service - Western Union|
|Exchange rate||AUD 1 = 76.271 VUV||1 AUD = 77.175 VUV|
|Transfer fee||$22 AUD||$70 AUD|
|Amount received for $1000 AUD (in Vanuatu vatu)||1 AUD = 77.1756 VUV||1 AUD = 77,175.57 VUV|
|Transfer time||2 - 4 business days||In minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash|
Correct 06/02/15 1.20PM
How do I compare money transfer companies?
Have a look at these different features when you’re comparing quotes to send money to Vanuatu.
- Exchange rate. First look to see whether you can exchange dollars to vatu. Then check what rate the provider can offer.
- Transfer fee. An additional charge to send money to Vanuatu. Compare the exchange rate of first transfer free offers. The transfer fee can be included through an inflated forex margin.
- Pick up method. Pick up methods include cash collection and bank account deposits.
- Payment method. You can send money to Vanuatu online by paying for your transfer using your credit or debit card. You can also pay cash at a Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
- Transfer time. The transfer time varies depending on the payment and collection methods. Cash transfers can be collected right away whereas bank account transfers can take up to a couple of days to clear.
- Transfer limits. Compare transfer limits if you’re looking to send less than $100 or more than $5,000.
- Transfer options. Most providers can arrange a one-off payment but, not all providers offer limit orders, rate targeting and forward contracts.
- Customer service. Can you contact the provider outside of business hours if you have an issue with your money transfer to Vanuatu. The provider should also give you the means to track your order once you’ve paid for the transaction.
How do I send money to Vanuatu from Australia?
Even though Vanuatu is geographically close to Australia, there are only a few money transfer companies you can use to send money to Vanuatu.
To send money to a bank account in Vanuatu, log on to your online banking facility and look for the international payments menu. You may need to create a new beneficiary if this is your first payment.
The exchange rate is displayed at the time of the transaction and transfer fees apply. Bank to bank transfers can take up to six business days.
- If you’re a Westpac customer, you can send money to Vanuatu for half the transfer fee when you request an overseas telegraphic transfer at a Westpac branch.
International cash payment service
These companies can send cash to Vanuatu in minutes. Log on to the provider’s website and make a payment using your credit or debit card. Send the reference code to the recipient so they can collect the cash.
- Western Union. Western Union have four cash agents in Port-Vila, Vanuatu’s largest city and three agents in Luganville, the second-largest city.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram have fewer agents in Vanuatu than Western Union. Both companies have a similar fee structure.
Online money transfer companies
Online foreign exchange and payment providers can exchange Australian dollars and send money to a bank account in Vanuatu. These companies can be cheaper than the banks or international cash payment providers, and rates are closer to the interbank rate too. They include:
- OFX - Send money to Vanuatu using OFX. OFX offer personal and business international payment services. Funds can be delivered to a Vanuatu bank account in two to three business days.
How do I receive money from Vanuatu in Australia?
You have these options to receive funds from Vanuatu in Australia.
- Bank account. Provide your bank’s SWIFT code, your BSB, account name, number and address to receive money in your bank account. You may be charged a fee for receiving money from Vanuatu into your Australian bank account and you should receive an email from your bank once the money has been credited to your account.
- Cash payment. Provide the reference number and photographic identification such as your passport to collect a cash payment from Vanuatu. You may want to ring ahead if you’re planning to pick up a large amount of cash.
Emergency cash transfers in Vanuatu
There are a couple of options to get cash sent quickly from Australia.
- International cash payment. Western Union and MoneyGram both have agents in Vanuatu. There are about a dozen merchants in Port-Vila and Luganville such as Westpac bank where cash can be collected. Funds are ready to collect minutes after the transaction has been paid for in Australia.
- Emergency cash assistance. Your card provider may be able to make the funds in your account available as cash if your card is lost or stolen. Contact your card provider to start the process. It can take a day to process a request for emergency cash assistance.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance provider may be able to issue cash in the event of a covered emergency. Check your policy’s product disclosure statement for further information.
Cash pickup locations for Western Union/MoneyGram branches in Vanuatu
You can see a snapshot of the different agents open available on the islands of Vanuatu. Western Union have more cash agents in Vanuatu than MoneyGram.
- Fexco Pacific
Vate Electrics Building, Lini Highway,Port Vila. Open Monday to Saturday 8am to 5pm +678-23197
- Vanuatu Post
Lini Highway, Po Box 43, Port Vila. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 5pm. Open Saturday 7.30am to 11.30am +678-22000
- Malo Postal Agent
Malo Island, Sanma Province, Malo, Sanma. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 5pm +678-22000
- Vanuatu Post
General Post Office, Luganville Post, Luganville, Santo Island. Open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 4.30pm. Open Saturday 7.30am to 11.30am
- Westpac Bank
Road PMB Main, Luganville. Open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm +678-36625
- Westpac Bank
Lini Highway, P.O Box 32, Port-Vila. Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm +678-22084
Tips for picking up cash in Vanuatu
Take normal safety precautions when you’re visiting Vanuatu. Smartraveller.gov.au advises instances of robbery, assault and sexual assault against foreigners do occur, but the crime rate in Vanuatu is low.
Take precautions if you’re picking up cash: travel in a group, carry a money belt, speak to the hotel to arrange an escort. International hotels should be able to provide some assistance if you’re concerned about traveling alone to collect money.
What are the steps to send money to Vanuatu?
Bank transfer. As well as the receiver’s bank account information you’ll also need the following details to send money to Vanuatu.
- SWIFT BIC Address
- Bank country
- Bank city
- Bank name
Online money transfer company. If you want to send money to Vanuatu using one of the money transfer companies we’ve mentioned on this page, you’ll need to create an account to start the transfer. Provide the following information to register for a free account.
- Personal details, ie D.O.B
- Contact information, ie home or mobile phone number
- Residency details
- Identification. You may be required to send a copy of your passport to verify your identification.
You’ll be provided with a tracking number you can use to monitor the status of your money transfer following payment for the transaction.
More guides on Finder
Tips to safely send cryptocurrency to a wallet
SPONSORED: Save yourself the heartache of lost funds by learning how to safely send cryptocurrency from one wallet to another with this simple guide.
MasterRemit international money transfers review
MasterRemit allows you to transfer your money quickly in a range of currencies.
PayPal Rewards Card
The new PayPal Rewards credit card offers no annual fee and points per $1 spent. So how much value can you get from it?
First home buyer’s e-course Module 2: Get your free money
As a first home buyer, what grants, incentives and discounts are available to you? How much can you save – and how do you get your free money?
4 ways to keep your hard-earned cash safe
SPONSORED: Don’t let yourself become a victim of fraud or theft. Here are 4 easy ways to keep your money safer.
Start these 10 money habits and you could (potentially) save enough to cover your rent
SPONSORED: Even little adjustments can lead to big savings. Here are just a few things you can do to put more money back in your pocket.
5 tips for people wiring money to the Philippines
SPONSORED: From lockdowns to currency fluctuations, make sure you consider all these key factors.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
New customers use code AZIMO50 to get GBP 5 off when you transfer GBP 50+. Valid till 31 October 2021. T&Cs apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
New customers get their first transaction for free with code FIRSTFREE. T&Cs apply.
Send money in minutes at competitive exchange rates with this Australian money transfer service.
Ask an Expert