Send money to Armenia
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Armenia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Located in the Caucasus region and boasting a history that dates back to at least 4000 BC, the landlocked nation of Armenia is a gem few Australian travellers know about. On the other side of the coin, in the 2011 census there were more than 16,000 Australians of Armenian ancestry.
If you need to send funds between Australia and Armenia for any reason, whether helping out a family member or buying something from an Armenian seller, make sure to compare your money transfer options so that you find the most affordable solution.
Send money to Armenia with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
The first institution many people think of when they need to send money overseas is their bank. But while sending funds via your bank can be convenient, banks don’t offer their transfer services cheaply. They offer low exchange rates and charge high fees on transfers, which means that both you and your beneficiary in Armenia get a raw deal.
That’s why you should shop around to see whether a dedicated online money transfer company might be able to help. These providers offer superior exchange rates and more affordable fee structures than the banks, so they can save you a whole lot of money the next time you need to send funds overseas.
Jen Sends Money to Armenia
Jen wants to send a transfer of $1,000 from her new home in Melbourne to her mother in Armenia. Having fallen behind on the rent, Jen’s mother needs the money as quickly as possible to avoid being evicted. Since her bank doesn’t process exotic currencies, Jen approaches two cash pickup transfer companies to see which one offers the most affordable transfer option.
As the table below shows, Jen can save AUD $10 in transfer fees by using the first company and also send an extra USD $5 to her mother.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.674 USD||1 AUD = 0.669 USD|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup transfer||Cash pickup transfer|
|Processing time||Within minutes||Within minutes|
|Amount received (in USD)||$674||$669|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Armenia?
- Exchange rates. Look for the company that regularly offers better exchange rates than its competitors. However, make sure those rates don’t come with hefty fees attached.
- Transfer fees. Don’t forget to read the fine print to check how much you will have to pay in the form of a transaction fee each time you send money overseas.
- Transfer methods. Will you send the transfer online, by visiting a branch, by making a phone call, or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Check to see whether the provider offers special transfer options which you can use to save time and money, such as forward contracts and recurring payment plans.
- Minimum and maximum limits. If a company places limits on the amount you can send per transaction, make sure those limits will not infringe on your regular transfer requirements.
- Processing times. If fast transfers are a must, check to see how long it will take for an average transaction to be completed.
- Pickup options. Will the funds be sent as a bank account transfer, made available for cash pickup or transferred in some other way?
- Customer service. Does the company offer phone support, email support and online help? During which hours can you access customer assistance?
How do I send money to Armenia from Australia?
- Specialist transfer providers. Research your options to find out which companies offer transfers between Armenia and Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. MoneyGram is one well-known company that offers this service.
- Bank transfers. Ask your bank about the fees and exchange rates they offer on international transfers.
- International cheques. Check with your bank to see how much it costs to obtain an international guaranteed cheque.
How do I receive money from Armenia in Australia?
- Specialist transfer providers. Search around for a specialist transfer company that can send funds from Armenia to Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Start searching now for a cash pickup company that offers a transfer location close to you.
- Bank transfers. Another option is to receive a transfer in your Australian bank account from an account in Armenia.
- International cheques. Make sure you’re aware of the fees and charges you’ll have to pay when cashing a cheque from overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Armenia
Sometimes you need to send an overseas transfer as quickly as possible, such as if you have a loved one travelling through Armenia and they have their wallet stolen. Happily, there are some providers that can deliver the necessary funds to your beneficiary within minutes.
The bad news is that these types of transactions tend to attract higher fees and some of the lowest exchange rates going around, so you should always confirm the full cost of a transfer before going ahead.
Cash pickup locations in Armenia/ MoneyGram branches in Armenia
MoneyGram is a cash pickup transfer company with hundreds of thousands of locations around the world, including several in Armenia. You can see the details of some Armenian cash collection spots below. Phone ahead to confirm opening hours before you arrive, and make sure you have photo ID and a transaction ID number with you.
Mashtoc 10 N23 10-1
Open 9:15am to 5pm Monday to Friday, 10:45am to 3pm Saturday
- Armenian Development Bank
Paronyan Str. 21/1
Open 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Ankakhutyan Sq 6
Open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday
- Armenian Development Bank
Gorki Str 73/3
Open 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Tips for picking up cash in Armenia
According to the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, visitors to Armenia should exercise normal safety precautions. So if you’re picking up cash from a transfer agent, make sure to:
- Take a friend along for added protection
- Only visit pickup locations in areas where you feel safe
- Avoid high-crime areas and flashing your cash in public
- Deposit the money somewhere safe as soon as you can
What are the steps to send money to Armenia?
The transfer process varies from one provider to the next but you will generally need to:
- Sign up for a free online account. You will need to provide your name, proof of ID and contact information.
- Provide your transaction details. Where are you sending the money? Who will receive the money? How much are you sending and in what currency?
- Finalise your transaction. Review the cost of your transfer and then submit your transfer request. Most providers will also allow you to track the progress of your funds online.
More guides on Finder
How to buy iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units
Steps to owning and managing iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day book deals: Our top picks for all ages
Snap up best-selling reads for the whole family with these great Australian Prime Day offers.
Best Prime Day deals 2021: Highlights from day one [updated]
The wait is finally over. Here are the best Amazon Prime Day deals you can get in Australia right now.
Toyota LandCruiser 300 series: Release date, specs, price, models and more
Toyota popped the bonnet on its highly anticipated 2022 Toyota Landcruiser 300 series 4WD in June 2021. Here's everything you need to know.
Ethereum price continues to slide, correcting by 9% overnight
Crypto experts believe that ETH may still be able to go on a bull run later on this year after the ongoing bearish pressure subsides.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best Xbox and PC game deals
Whether you're a shiny Xbox owner or a proud member of the PC master race, Amazon Prime Day has what you're looking for.
Prime Day Coke deal: Get 57% off select multi-packs
Amazon's bonkers Coca-Cola deal is back for Prime Day - and this time it's brought Fanta and Sprite along to the party. Save up to 57%!
Amazon Prime Day deals from local Aussie businesses: Up to 45% off
Here are the Prime Day deals you can feel especially good about shopping.
Bitcoin price drops 5% overnight as usage weakens
After showing some signs of recovery, Bitcoin is once again starting to face a lot of bearish pressure.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert