RACT Caravan Insurance
Don’t let a crash leave you without your mobile home. RACT Caravan Insurance could have the cover you need to keep your wheels rolling.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The open road is full of dangers, from inattentive drivers to kangaroos darting in front of your vehicle. Sometimes disaster is unavoidable, and if your caravan is ruined, you might be stranded far from home.
With RACT caravan insurance, you can venture far afield with your caravan or trailer, knowing that you’re covered for the worst.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACT website or compare a bunch of other caravan insurance companies with finder.
Compare caravan and trailer insurance from RACT
What cover options are there?
RACT offers two types of comprehensive insurance, both of which include legal liability of $20 million. You can take this out on your caravan or your trailer (including box, car or boat trailer, or horse float). Both insurance types offer the benefits outlined in the table below.
How does each cover type compare?
|Features||Caravan insurance||Trailer insurance|
|Accidental loss or damage|
|Legal liability, $20 million|
|New caravan or trailer after a total loss|
|Transport of your damaged caravan/trailer|
|Caravan/trailer contents replacement|
|Cover transfer to a replacement caravan/trailer|
What exclusions are there?
As with any insurance policy, you aren’t covered for every possible situation. RACT will not compensate you for damage or loss caused under the following circumstances:
- When you’ve made modifications. No matter how trivial the change you make to your vehicle, make sure you get the go-ahead first from your insurer. If you don’t, they might cite your unauthorised modifications as a reason to deny your claim.
- When being used for unlawful purposes. If a law or regulation is being broken, you won’t be covered.
- While on hire. If you rent your caravan or trailer out to a business or anybody else, you’re opening yourself up to the likelihood that you won’t be compensated for things that go wrong.
- By natural depreciation or poor maintenance. If you neglect to take good care of your caravan or trailer and it builds up a collection of rust, rot or mold, you won’t be covered. Natural depreciation over time or from repairs will likewise not be reimbursed.
- By an irresponsible or unqualified driver. If the person driving your caravan at the time of an incident is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or is simply unlicenced, you aren’t covered. Reckless driving or driving while overloaded similarly negate your cover.
- If your vehicle is a semi-trailer, motorised caravan, campervan or motorhome. RACT caravan insurance does not cover these types of vehicle.
What excess do I need to pay?
In the event that you have to make a claim, some excess charge will apply. RACT has several excess categories that apply depending on the situation:
- Basic excess. This applies in the event of all claims.
- Age excess. Depending on the age of the driver of the vehicle or towing the caravan during the incident, this may apply.
- Additional excess. This could apply if an aspect of the caravan or trailer, or the driver falls outside RACT’s underwriting guidelines.
It’s possible you won’t have to pay an excess if you are not at fault for an accident, or the theft of or malicious damage to your caravan. This only applies if you can provide the name, address and registration of the person responsible.
How do I make a claim?
In the event of an incident:
- Gather details. Get the registration of any other vehicles involved and the names, addresses and phone numbers of the other drivers, owners of any property damaged and any witnesses.
- Call RACT immediately on 13 27 22. If your caravan or trailer has been damaged, call RACT sooner rather than later. If it has been stolen, report the incident to the police first and then call RACT.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best acoustic guitars in Australia
These are the 6 best acoustic guitars you can buy right now in Australia.
Food delivery in Townsville
Without ever leaving your sofa, order food for delivery in Townsville from these apps - and save money while you're at it with our deals.
Dash cam installation services
How to find a quality dash cam installer.
Enjoy more peace and quiet around your home when you invest in a soundproofing service.
Reusable coffee mug buying guide: How to find the perfect reusable cup for your takeaway coffee
Learn why you should consider ditching disposable coffee cups and how to compare your reusable coffee mug options.
Road rage tips from car insurers
A Budget Direct study reveals what makes drivers angry and shares tips on how to stay cool.
Car owners beware: hail is on the way
Severe hailstorms are forecast for the east coast of Australia this week and car-owners are being warned of potential damage.
Best umbrellas in Australia
These are the 6 best umbrellas you can buy online in Australia right now.
Go for something a little less traditional with stylish bamboo flooring.