Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple cryptocurrency prices bounce up
Is the cryptocurrency crash over? See which coins are the biggest winners as prices jump.
The top ten coins by market cap have seen a rise, with mostly double digit rises across the board in the last 24 hours, according to CoinMarketCap. Bitcoin BTC prices have edged up 10% in the last 24 hours at the time of writing to US$9,500, with Ethereum ETH trailing slightly at 9.2% up to $925.
With gains of this size, it's probably reasonable to assume that some of the biggest gainers will be slipping downwards again in coming hours as people consolidate their earnings, but others might keep climbing.
- Ripple XRP has seen gains of around 11%, possibly buoyed by new hype around Western Union's Ripple testing and other developing partnerships.
- Bitcoin Cash BCH has seen distinct rises over 30% in the last week, even against the backdrop of a relatively stagnant market. Although its rise has slowed, it received another 10% bump in the last 24 hours.
- Litecoin LTC has been one of the week's biggest winners so far, with the last 24 hours in particular ushering in a 33% increase, from about $150 to roughly $215 at the time of writing.
- Cardano ADA received a sharp pump last weekend followed by a readjustment come Monday. It's yet to recover those weekend highs but has edged up 6.5% in the last 24 hours.
- Stellar XLM has climbed up 10% in the last 24 hours, continuing a step by step rise throughout the week. The new Stellarport decentralised exchange may have boosted its trading over the last couple of days.
- NEO has continued its recent climbs, bumping up 10.2% to about US$122 and edging nearer to its January highs.
- EOS received mild gains of 8.25%, reaching around the $10 price mark.
- IOTA has climbed steadily over the last 48 odd hours, despite erratic prices before then, and is showing a 12.5% increase.
Other notable gains outside the top 10 market cap coins include:
- Monero XMR (number 13): The privacy coin rose 17.75% over the last 24 hours but may be approaching a downswing
- VeChain VET (number 18): VeChain is up to the $5 mark, rising 18% over the last 24 hours. If its price history is any indication then this too might be followed by a readjustment.
- OmiseGO OMG (number 22): A 20% rise in the last 24 hours might cement some of the solid gains it's seen over the last few days. This might be following increasing awareness of the coin.
- RChain RHOC (number 32): Up 35% in the last 24 hours, marking a notable gain. This is a significant step in its price history, and it might soon break its brief early January all-time-high if gains continue.
- DragonChain DRGN (number 50): Up 30% after stop and start growth. This business blockchain system originated in Disney's offices but has since departed to seek its fortune. At this rate, it might find it.
- Golem GNT (number 64): Up 18.75% in the last 24 hours despite a marked sell-off. Although still well below half of its December peak price, the "supercomputer coin" might be gaining ground again.
- Binance brings AUD-BTC to Australia with Binance Lite
- IBM’s World Wire launch will likely go down as a major event in payments history
- Ethereum likes ProgPoW but actually getting things done is hard
- Tether admits to not being fully fiat backed
- Opinion: Samsung Galaxy S10’s cryptocurrency support is really good
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VET, XLM, XRB, SALT