Bendigo Invest Direct share trading review
- Standard brokerage fee
- Available markets
- ASX, NASDAQ, NYSE, Euronext, Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Tokyo Stock Exchange, SIX Swiss Exchange, Frankfurt Stock Exchange, Singapore Exchange, Toronto Stock Exchange, Chi-X
- Phone, Email
Bendigo Invest Direct (BID) is Bendigo Bank’s online share trading service. It offers Standard and Pro trading accounts plus access to shares and ETFs on Australian and international markets.
While you may be able to find slightly cheaper brokerage fees elsewhere, Bendigo Invest Direct is worth considering if you’re looking for a user-friendly account with all the essential trading tools.
May appeal to both new and experienced traders
Access to international markets
Advanced charting and research tools
Offers mobile trading app
Not the lowest brokerage fees around
No demo account
No 24-hour support
|Type of broker||Online|
|ASX products||Shares, Exchange traded options, Exchange traded funds, mFunds|
|Available markets||ASX, NASDAQ, NYSE, Euronext, Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Tokyo Stock Exchange, SIX Swiss Exchange, Frankfurt Stock Exchange, Singapore Exchange, Toronto Stock Exchange, Chi-X|
|Standard brokerage fee||US$0|
Who is Bendigo Invest Direct best for?
- Casual traders. A Bendigo Invest Direct Standard account offers a user-friendly interface, market research and analysis to help new traders buy and sell shares.
- Frequent traders. If you’re an experienced investor, a Pro account offers advanced trading tools and professional charting for a monthly subscription fee.
How easy is it to use?
Getting started with Bendigo Invest Direct is easy. You can apply for an account and get your ID verified online, with applications typically processed within two to four days.
The share trading service has been designed with ease of use in mind. There are video tutorials to help new users navigate the interface, plus educational tools and a quick guide to help you get the most out of your account.
What research does it provide?
You can access a range of research and analysis tools through your Bendigo Invest Direct account. One key tool is access to theScreener, which provides up-to-date analysis of stocks you’re considering trading. Details of upcoming dividends are also easily accessible through your account.
It’s worth pointing out that the research available to you varies depending on the type of account you open. Standard account holders can access an IPO centre and Morningstar fundamental research, while Pro accounts can also take advantage of Thomson Reuters market news and Morningstar quantitative research.
Pricing and fees
It’s free to open a Bendigo Invest Direct Standard account, but you’ll need to pay a $49 monthly subscription fee if you want to open a Pro account.
Brokerage fees with Bendigo Invest Direct start at $19.95 for online trades, but lower fees are available for frequent traders.
|Classic (less than 10 trades per month)||Premium (10–34 trades per month)||Platinum (35+ trades per month)|
|Brokerage||$19.95 per trade or 0.11% where value of shares is more than $22,000||$19.95 per trade or 0.11% where value of shares is more than $22,000||$17.95 per trade or 0.11% where value of shares is more than $22,000|
For phone trades, brokerage is $69.95 per trade or 0.40% where the value of the shares is more than $22,000. Separate brokerage fees also apply to trades on international markets, as per the table below.
|Brokerage (US,UK,Japan,Canada)||$0.00 per trade||Applicable online order fee PLUS $23.00|
|Brokerage (Other international markets)||$69.00 per trade or 0.69%^||Applicable online order fee PLUS $23.00|
^ Brokerage is the greater of the $ value or the % shown
If you’re trading exchange traded options online, brokerage fees are the greater of $32.95 or 0.32% of share values. For mFunds, brokerage is the greater of $40 or 0.20% of share values.
What are the main features?
Key features of a Bendigo Invest Direct account include:
- Analysis and research. Stock research tools and information from theScreener and Morningstar help you make informed trading decisions and stay abreast of market developments.
- Charting tools. If you have a Bendigo Invest Direct Standard account, you can access 8 different chart types and more than 40 drawing tools. Bendigo Invest Direct Pro account holders get access to a professional charting package, which features a wide range of indicators and chart types for technical analysis.
- Market data. You can access live or dynamic real-time data through your Bendigo Invest Direct account. However, whether or not you need to pay to access this data varies depending on whether you’re a frequent trader or not, and whether you have a Standard or Pro account.
- Tax and portfolio management. Pro users can keep track of their portfolio and manage tax reporting requirements thanks to integration with Sharesight.
- Live chat support. You can access support quickly and conveniently using the live chat option. Live chat is available from 7am to 6pm Sydney time, Monday to Friday.
- Mobile app. If you’d prefer to trade from your smartphone, the Bendigo Invest Direct app is available for Apple and Android phones.
What account types are available with Bendigo Invest Direct?
There are two account types to choose from: Standard and Pro. See the table below for a breakdown of account features. Keep in mind that Pro account holders enjoy access to all features of the Standard account as well as the advanced tools that come with Pro membership.
|BID Standard||BID Pro|
|Account access||Standard||Standard and Pro|
|ASX market data||Live data: $10/month|
Dynamic data: $41.25/month
|Live data: Free|
Dynamic data: Free
|Charts||8 chart types|
42 drawing tools
102 overlays and studies
|12 chart types|
38 drawing tools
96 overlays and studies
|News, analysis and research||theScreener|
Morningstar fundamental research
Thomson Reuters news
Morningstar quantitative equity research
IPO application pages
Trading central signals and patterns
|Options analytics risk tool|
Is Bendigo Invest Direct trustworthy?
Launched in 2016, Bendigo Invest Direct is a share trading service provided by CMC Markets Invest at the request of Bendigo and Adelaide Bank. A multi-award-winning broker, CMC Markets has a history dating back more than 30 years and is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission. The provider also offers its own stockbroking account to Australian investors – find out more about it in our review.
How do I sign up?
If you’d like to open a Bendigo Invest Direct trading account, you can complete an application online. Simply click on the “Apply Now” link on their website, choose your type of application and specify how you will pay for your trades.
You’ll then need to supply your name, date of birth and contact details to complete the application. Proof of ID is also required, but this can typically be uploaded online. It usually takes two to four days to process your application and set up your account.
How do I contact Bendigo Invest Direct support?
If you have any questions about trading or need some help, a dedicated client service team is available to provide support. Support is available via the following channels:
- Live chat (Monday to Friday, 7am to 6pm Sydney time)
Bendigo Invest Direct also offers an FAQ section with answers to a host of common questions, plus video tutorials to show you how to complete basic account tasks. It also provides a free “Investing IQ” educational program to help boost your trading knowledge.
Bendigo Invest Direct online share trading is a competitive option for anyone who wants to buy and sell shares and ETFs online. The fact that there are separate account types for casual and more experienced traders is a definite plus, while live chat support and a mobile trading app are also welcome features.
However, you will find cheaper brokerage fees elsewhere, particularly when trading on international markets, so be sure to compare Bendigo Invest Direct with other online share trading platforms to find the trading account that’s right for you.
Frequently asked questions
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked