Review: XE Money Transfer
Enjoy fast, secure and fee-free international money transfers with global payments provider XE.
- Good for exchange rates that are more competitive than rates from the major banks, especially on larger transfers.
- Not so great if you want to send to popular remittance countries like China or want to pay by card.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Product Name||XE International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||AUD 1|
|Max. Transfer Amount||AUD 500,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Bank Account to Bank Account|
|Transfer Options||One off payments, Market orders|
Minimum transfer time
|Customer Service||Phone, Email|
|Available Currencies||AED, AMD, AUD, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BND, BRL, BSD, BWP, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, CVE, CZK, DKK, DOP, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GTQ, HKD, HNL, HRK, HUF, ILS, INR, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KRW, KWD, KZT, LKR, LSL, MAD, MKD, MUR, MWK, MXN, MYR, NAD, NOK, NZD, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, SZL, THB, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TWD, TZS, UGX, USD, VUV, WST, XCD, XPF, ZAR|
|Online Transfer Fee||AUD 0|
|Phone Transfer Fee||AUD 0|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
What's in this guide?
- XE exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What payment methods does XE accept?
- What types of transfers can you make with XE?
- How long does a transfer with XE take?
- Is XE safe to use?
- How to register an account
- How to make a money transfer with XE
- What is XE's background?
- In a nutshell
- How does XE compare to other providers?
XE exchange rates and fees
XE does not charge any fees or commissions on international money transfers. It instead turns a profit on the spread, which is the difference between the price you receive for a transaction and the price it actually costs XE to complete that trade.
There are no ongoing account fees to worry about and no transaction fees. The exchange rate you'll end up paying is different from the one on XE's currency converter tool, which is a live feed of the mid-market rate.
In some rare cases, you may also incur some third-party charges, such as fees from financial institutions for receiving wire transfers. You'll need to check with your recipient's bank to find out how much it will be.
Calculate how much sending money overseas would cost with XE by using our tool below. You can also check out the real-time exchange rate XE offers and if there are any additional fees.
XE transfers money in over 40 different currencies. You can check out the full list of the currencies above, but some of the more popular ones include:
- CAD Canadian dollar
- EUR Euro
- GBP British pound
- HKD Hong Kong dollar
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- PHP Philippine peso
- TBH Thai baht
- USD US dollar
What payment methods does XE accept?
You can pay for your international money transfer with XE using:
- Bank transfer
You first need to confirm your transaction, then XE will provide you with its bank details. Unfortunately, XE doesn't accept payments with cash or card.
What types of transfers can you make with XE?
XE offers a few different tools to help you make your money transfer, including:
- Limit orders. Choose an ideal exchange rate and your transfer will automatically go through when it's met.
- Regular payments. Set up a recurring payment at a frequency that suits you.
- Forward contracts. Lock in today's exchange rate for a transfer in the future.
- Business transfers. XE has a separate product specifically for businesses.
How long does a transfer with XE take?
Most international money transfers with XE should arrive within the day. However, certain transfer types may take longer. In Australia, XE only accepts payments through bank transfer or BPAY.
It’s important to be aware when you’re setting up the transfer that your bank may take extra time to transfer money to XE. XE will only start your money transfer once it's received the funds from your bank account.
Transfers typically take
Is XE safe to use?
- Security and regulation: XE is government regulated and holds its customers' funds separate from the company's own.
- Established: 1993
- Number of customers: 112,000* customers (this number is for Euronet, XE's parent company, that also includes Ria).
- Reviews: Trustpilot gives XE a score of 9.1* out of 10, based on around 1,900 reviews.
XE is part of a group of other international money transfer companies called Euronet, who also own Ria. As such, while XE isn't regulated by Australia's regulatory body ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission), XE's parent company is.
Part of this regulation means XE has to keep its customers' funds separate from its own. This means that should the company have any financial difficulties, your funds stay safe and secure.
How does XE make its money?
While XE charges no fees, it still makes money from each transfer because of the margin. That's where the rate you're quoted when setting up a money transfer is different from the live mid-market rate you'll see on Google or Reuters. As a result, you should compare both the exchange rate the money transfer provider is offering, as well as any additional fees.
How to register an account
Signing up for an account with XE is simple and free. The following steps can help guide you through the process.
How to make a money transfer with XE
- Log in. You'll land on your dashboard screen where you can navigate around your account details.
- Click "new transaction". This button is at the top of your screen in the menu bar.
- Finalise how much you want to send. You'll need to add in the currency pair and either how much you want to send, or how much you want the receiver to get. XE will then provide you with a quote the exchange rate you'll receive.
- Add in the recipient's details. This includes the recipient's name, address, bank details and the reason for the payment.
- Select your payment method. For transfers from Australia, you can choose between a bank transfer or BPAY.
- Confirm your transfer. Make sure to double-check the exchange rate in case it has changed. You'll also want to make sure all of your recipient's information is correct, as cancelling the transfer later on is difficult.
- Transfer the funds to XE. XE will give you details so you can transfer money into its local bank account. This information will be on your PDF confirmation.
- XE sends your transfer. XE will complete the transfer once it receives the money. You can track this through your email updates or your online account.
What is XE's background?
XE was established in Canada in 1993 by two high school friends and has since grown into one of the world's leading currency rate providers. XE offers currency exchange tools and services to customers around the world.
Euronet acquired XE in 2015, where it joined other electronic payment and transaction companies. Other than XE's Canadian headquarters, it has international offices in Australia, New Zealand, the UK and the US.
In a nutshell
- No fees. XE doesn't charge any transaction fees, commissions or ongoing fees.
- Competitive rates. XE offers highly competitive exchange rates to customers. Compare XE’s rates with those offered by the banks to see how they stack up.
- Currency specialists. Unlike banks, which offer a wide range of financial products and services, XE specialises solely in global currency markets.
- No credit card payment. XE does not allow you to pay for an international money transfer from your credit card in Australia.
- Need to create an account. To get a quote on the current exchange rate for your transfer, you need to create an account and sign in.
- Currently missing some of the major currencies. You can't send money to China or India with XE.
- No cash pick-up. Transfers must be sent to your recipient’s bank account.
How does XE compare to other providers?
Our table below shows you the exchange rate and fees for other money transfer specialists.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Sign up and receive a $50 Woolworths eGift Card when you transfer over $1000.
Send has fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.