Visa 651 (eVisitor visa) | OVHC | Finder

Visa 651 (eVisitor) OVHC

Planning to visit Australia? Here's what you need to know about the 651 Visa

Picture not described

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

The eVisitor (subclass 651) lets you stay in Australia for up to 3 months and as often as you like over a 12 month period. But in order to be eligible, you'll need to meet visa requirements, including having adequate healthcare arrangements in place.

What is the 651 visa?

The 651 visa is designed for EU citizens visiting Australia for non-employment purposes and works in a similar way to the ESTA system in the U.S. Basically, if you're an EU citizen, you can apply for the 651 eVisitor visa before you come to Australia. That way, you don't need to go to an embassy or consulate. British citizens are still currently eligible for this visa.

The 651 visa lets you visit Australia as often as you want over a 12 month period. You can stay for up to 3 months each time you enter the country.

Who is the 651 visa for?

The 651 visa is for individuals who hold a passport from the European Union and plan to visit Australia for up to 3 months. Eligible countries include:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom – British Citizen
  • Vatican City

It's designed for travellers, but might be suitable for some students and workers in certain circumstances. However. if the main reason for travelling to Australia is to study or work, a student or working holiday visa is probably more appropriate. According to the Department Home Affairs, the 651 visa is suitable for individuals:

  • Visiting family or friends
  • Going on a cruise or holiday
  • Undertaking business visitor activities (a business visitor can make general business enquiries, enter into and review business contracts and take part in a conference)
  • Studying for up to 3 months

What are the 651 visa conditions?

To be eligible for the 651 visa, these are the main requirements you will need to meet:

  • Have a valid passport (from one of the countries listed above)
  • Intend to stay temporarily in Australia. (You can't stay for longer than three months but you can come and go over a 12 month period)
  • Meet healthcare requirements. (You may be required to get some form of health insurance depending on your circumstances)
  • Meet the character requirement. If you have a criminal conviction in any country, you should apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) instead. Visitors on a 651 visa with a criminal conviction might be refused entry into the country.
  • Have enough money to support yourself while you are visiting.

Why does the 651 visa require insurance?

The 651 may require you to have some kind of insurance in order to meet the government's healthcare requirements. These are put in place so that you don't become a burden on the Australian healthcare system. Essentially, you need to look after yourself while you are here. That generally means you need some kind of healthcare cover.

Fortunately, there are plenty of Australian private health funds offering policies specifically designed to meet the cover needs of overseas visitors. These policies are known as overseas visitors health cover (OVHC) and they can protect you for things like surgery, pharmaceuticals and emergency ambulance.

Who offers visa compliant insurance for the 651 visa?

The table below includes a rundown of the OVHC options available from Australian health funds.

Name Product Price Visa Compliant Hospital Cover Dental Pregnancy Cover GP Visits Medical Repatriation
Medibank Overseas Visitors Starter Hospital and Medical
From $51 per month
From $51 per month.
Allianz Budget Visitors Cover
From $78 per month
From $78 per month
Medibank Overseas Visitors Everyday Hospital and Medical
From $137.50 per month
From $137.50 per month.
Allianz Standard Visitors Cover
From $141 per month
From $141 per month

Compare up to 4 providers

Picture: GettyImages

More guides on Finder

You might like these...

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site