Loans for tradies
Finding a loan for business or personal use as a tradie can be tough, but there are options available.
Whether you need a loan to cover financing for equipment, cash shortfalls due to unpaid invoices, or even for a personal purchase, it’s important to know how to find the right financing for you. Tradie loans can be secured or unsecured, are available from many different lenders and can be used for both personal and business reasons. Read this guide to find out how to get financing for what you need.
What options do tradies have for loans?
Business lenders you can compare
Valiant Finance works with a large panel of lenders that can help you find a loan for your business.
- Access to 60+ lenders
- Dedicated credit specialists
- Various loan options available
- No ongoing fees
- Must be employed
- Min. loan amount $5,000
100% confidential application
SocietyOne Unsecured Personal Loan (2-3 years)
Borrow from $5,000 and benefit from no ongoing or early repayment fees. You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile.
- Interest rate from: 6.99% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 6.99% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: from 0% to 5% (capped at $995)
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $50,000
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
You can find loans from various types of lenders, including:
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) lenders. If you have good credit, you might want to consider applying with a P2P lender, also known as a marketplace lender. P2P loans are funded by individual investors, and the lender operates as an intermediary. You can usually find more competitive rates compared to other types of loans, depending on your credit history. These loans are available for both personal and business use.
- Banks and credit unions. If you have a good relationship with your current bank or have been operating as a sole trader for long enough to provide tax history, you may be eligible for a loan from a bank or credit union. There are flexible line of credit or overdraft loans, and some lenders offer same-day funding.
- Payday lenders. If you’re looking for short-term finance or have bad credit, a payday lender could be an option to consider. They offer loans of varying amounts that are designed to be repaid within the short-term. Keep in mind that you will be charged higher fees and rates with these lenders.
What types of tradie loans are available?
There are different types of personal and business tradie loans, any of which you might have in mind when you’re searching for a loan as a tradesman. Here’s a breakdown of these types, and some of the features that come with them:
- Car loans.
These loans can come in various forms, including as standard personal car loans, novated leases, chattel mortgages or low doc loans designed for tradies and other self-employed borrowers.
- Truck and equipment financing.
While essential to your business, covering the costs of these machines can be expensive. There are secured and unsecured loans that can help cover the immediate cost of purchasing or leasing this equipment.
- Business loans.
These loans are designed to help a small business get off the ground or cover the costs in your existing business.
- Self-employed personal loans.
If you are taking out a loan for personal reasons, these lenders may consider you if you own your own business.
- Short-term finance.
If you just need a loan to see you through, small loans up to $2,000 and loans for larger amounts up to $5,000 are available.
Here’s how you can compare your tradie loan options
Still unsure which type of loan is best for you? Here are a few points to keep in mind when comparing your loan options:
- Loan term. How long do you need the loan for? Some of the loan options are designed to be short-term, such as payday loans, which may be ideal for certain scenarios but not in others. Decide what you need and choose a loan term to work for you.
- Loan amount. If you’re unsure how much you need to borrow, there are some loan options that can provide you with ongoing credit to draw down on as you need to, for instance, a line of credit. If not, only borrow as much as you need.
- Repayment flexibility. Are you able to select your repayment flexibility, that is, weekly, fortnightly or monthly? You should also check if you are able to make extra repayments without being charged a fee or if you can pay back the loan completely without being charged.
- Fees and interest. Compare the costs of similar loan products against each other to ensure they are competitive.
- Ease of application. Can you apply for the loan online? Are your business financials taken into account? Check what is involved in the application process before you apply.
- Turnaround time. This is especially true if the need for funds is time-sensitive. Check how quickly the funds will be disbursed following approval.
- Loan management. Most lenders allow you to easily manage your loan through an online account or app. Find out what services the lender provides.
Need to manage cash shortfalls?
Unpaid invoices can be used to secure a type of business loan called invoice financing. It comes with reduced risk, no asset requirement or interest payments.
Compare invoice financing products below.
Frequently asked questions
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert