Ria Money Transfer Australia review
Ria is a convenient option for those looking to send money via a bank transfer or cash pickup. Although it limits daily transfers to $20,000, they're still one of the largest real-time payment networks in the industry. Ria isn't always the cheapest option compared to money transfer providers like Wise, it does charge a flat-fee of $2.89 and has fast transfer speeds.
In our 2023 customer satisfaction awards, Ria ranked 7th out of 11 providers with an overall score of 4.02/5. 82% of the 883 people surveyed said they would recommend Ria.
- Good for sending money to a wide variety of countries and for paying through bank transfer, card or cash at an agent.
- Not so great for sending larger amounts.
|Product Name||Ria Money Transfers|
|Pay By||Bank transfer, Credit card, Debit card, PayID|
|Receiving Options||Cash pickup location, Bank account, Home delivery|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email, In person|
|Maximum Transfer Amount||$20,000|
|Number of Currencies||95|
Why should I consider Ria Money Transfer?
- Flat-fee structure - Many providers' transfer fee's change based on the payment method or the amount sent but with Ria's flat-fee it offers more certainty.
- Multiple payment options. Pay with a debit card, credit card, PayID or bank account for online transfers. At a Ria Money Transfer agent location, you can also pay with EFTPOS, card, PayID or cash. Money can be transferred almost instantaneously for certain transfer methods.
- Diverse delivery options. Send money to a bank account, for pick up at an agent location or, in some markets, for home or work delivery or to a mobile wallet.
- Worldwide transfer network. With a network of 533,000 locations in 191 countries, Ria is one of the largest providers of international money transfers worldwide.
- Bank-beating rates. Using Ria to transfer money internationally is not only often faster than your bank, but lower fees mean more money for your recipient.
What to be aware of
- Maximum daily limits. Online transfers are limited to $20,000 per day but in person transfers are unlimited. If you're sending above $20,000, brokers such as TorFX and OFX are a better option.
- Agent locations. Keep in mind that Ria Money Transfer agent locations can set their own limits, transfer destinations and fee schedule.
- Inconsistent markups. Exchange rate markups vary depending on the country you're sending to - it ranges from 0.25% to 4% on top of the mid-market rate. Generally, WorldRemit offers better rates for remittance countries.
How much are Ria's transfer fees and exchange rates?
For new customers, transfers are fee-free, just enter the promo code "HelloRia" when prompted. If you're an existing customer, Ria's fees vary between online and agent locations. For online transfers, Ria charges a flat $2.89 fee to any country and any amount. Once you create an account, you'll be able to see the potential transfer fees on their calculator.
Unlike many competitors, Ria offers the same exchange rate no matter how much you send. However, it does still add a margin to the mid-market rate, and this will vary depending on which country you are sending to. Based on our research, the markup ranged from 0.25% to 4% on top of the mid-market rate and the rate is better for common currencies. Make sure to compare the rate offered on with the current interbank rate to calculate the size of the margin added.
What your Ria Money Transfer could look like
Use the table below to find out more details about what making a money transfer with Ria Money Transfer looks like. Click the Go to site button to visit Ria’s site and get a quote for your transfer.
What are the ways I can send money abroad with Ria?
If you are using Ria's online money transfer service, then you will first need to register an account for free. Once you have done this, you can follow these six easy steps:
How to send money transfer online with Ria
How can my recipient get the money?
Ria enables your recipient to pick up their money in one of three ways:
- Bank deposit
- Cash pickup at an agent location
- Home delivery (not available in all locations)
- Mobile wallets (selected corridors)
When picking up a cash transfer, your recipient will need to bring their government-issued photo ID and the transfer's unique PIN (personal identification number).
What are Ria's payment options?
There are several payment options available when funding your online money transfer with Ria. These include:
- Bank account
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Cash (when initiating a transfer at an agent location)
How long does an international transfer with Ria take?
Turnaround depends on the payment method chosen, with fees being the same for all methods. If you pay for your transfer with a credit or debit card, or PayID, your money should arrive in real-time. However, typically you'll find your credit card provider charges an additional cash advance fee, increasing the cost of your transfer.
Paying via bank transfer can take up to four business days. However, a small portion of transfers flagged as potentially fraudulent may take longer. The verification process is usually completed quickly, unless a user inputs incorrect information.
Is Ria safe to use?
Ria Money Transfer has been in operation since 1987 and is a global company that serves millions of customers. It uses multiple security features to keep your data and money safe, including:
- Identity verification. Suspicious activity such as logging in from various addresses and sending money to many diverse locations may trigger flags to help protect your account.
- 24/7 Security Experts. A security team works around the clock to monitor transactions for suspicious activity.
- Online storing necessary data. Ria doesn't store credit or debit card information on its servers, which means your card information can't be stolen if Ria is hacked.
Does Ria have a mobile app?
Ria Money Transfer has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to:
- Send again. Repeat a previous transfer by selecting it from your activity list in the app.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Share order details. Sending key order information like the tracking PIN number to your recipient can be done with just a few taps.
- Find an agent location. Use the in-app map to find agent locations based on your GPS or around the world.
|Reviews accurate as of 30 October, 2023|
|Google Play Store||4.7 out of 5 - based on 77,636 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||4.9 out of 5 - based on 4,196 customer ratings|
How does Ria compare to other money transfer services?
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
June 20, 2019
What is the surcharge fee Australia to the Philippines?
June 20, 2019
Thanks for getting in touch!
The surcharge fee from Australia to the Philippines is dependent upon the ff: factors:
1. Amount of money to be sent
2. How you will send it (credit/debit/direct bank payment)
3. How your receiver will receive it (bank deposit/home delivery/cash pickup)
For example, you are sending AUD 500 and you chose the payment method – direct bank payment, then your receiver gets the funds via cash pick up, the transfer fee will be AUD 3 and your total transfer amount will be AUD 503.
You can find have your transfer computed real time when you visit the Ria website. When sending money – it’s important to check the exchange rate beforehand to maximize the funds to be exchanged. Also, read through the transfer process of the provider such as transfer fees, transfer options and transfer speed to set expectations for the receiver. Take note of any reference or tracking numbers should any transaction delays come up during the transit. Hope this helps! For any clarifications, feel free to message us again.
Show more Show less