Ria Australia international money transfers
Send cash pick-up or bank account transfers to more than 160 countries around the world.
- Good for sending money to a wide variety of countries and for paying through bank transfer, card or cash at an agent.
- Not so great for sending larger amounts.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
1 - 2 days
|Product Name||Ria Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||AUD 2|
|Max. Transfer Amount||AUD 5,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Agent, Bank Account to Bank Account, Cash Transfer|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments|
Minimum transfer time
|1 - 2 days|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email, Branch|
|Available Currencies||AED, ALL, AMD, ARS, AUD, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BOB, BRL, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, DJF, DOP, DZD, EGP, ETB, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GHS, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HNL, HRK, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KGS, KHR, KMF, KZT, LAK, LBP, LKR, LRD, MAD, MDL, MMK, MNT, MRO, MXN, MYR, MZN, NIO, NOK, NPR, NZD, OMR, PAB, PEN, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SEK, SLL, SRD, THB, TJS, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TZS, UAH, UGX, USD, UYU, UZS, VEF, VND, VUV, XAF, XOF|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Daily|
|Online Transfer Fee||AUD 15|
What's in this guide?
- Why should I consider Ria?
- What to be aware of with Ria
- Ria's exchange rates and fees explained
- How long does a Ria money transfer take?
- Where can I use Ria?
- How does Ria keep my money safe?
- How do I send money through Ria?
- What's needed to transfer cash online through Ria
- How to register an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with Ria?
- How to track a Ria money transfer
- Does Ria have a mobile app?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
- How does Ria compare to other services?
By default we are always referring to Ria online transfers, unless otherwise noted. When specifically discussing Ria agent locations, we mean the physical, in-person locations found around the world. Keep in mind that Ria agent locations are able to set their own limits, transfer destinations and fee schedule, all of which may not align with what you see online.
Why should I consider Ria?
- Fast transfers. It can take as little as 15 minutes for the money to be ready for cash pickup. This option can get money quickly to a loved one in an emergency, but check that hours of operation for the location you're sending to work for your recipient.
- Multiple payment options. Pay with a debit card, credit card or bank account for online transfers. Or pay with cash at a Ria agent location. Because different payment methods attract different fees, weigh the benefits of each for the best deal.
- Diverse delivery options. Send money to a bank account, for pick up at an agent location or, in some markets, for home or work delivery.
- Worldwide transfer network. With a network of more than 389,000 agent locations in over 160 countries, Ria is the third-largest provider of international money transfers worldwide.
- Bank-beating rates. Using Ria to transfer money internationally is not only often faster than your bank, but lower fees means more money for your recipient.
What to be aware of with Ria
- Maximum daily limits. Online transfers are limited to $5,000 daily — lower than many digital competitors. Ria agent location limits may impose further limitations.
- High fees for card payments. Fees vary depending on your transaction, but credit cards typically attract the highest fees. And agent locations fees may differ from what you see online.
- No hedging options. Unlike some of its competitors, Ria does not offer forward contracts, limit orders or any of the other tools you'll find to lock in strong rates on future transfers. Hedging tools can help you save money when used appropriately to lock in an exchange rate for future transfers.
- Inconsistent markups. Exchange rates with Ria vary depending on the country you're sending to — anywhere from 0.25% to 3.5% on top of the mid-market rate.
Ria's exchange rates and fees explained
Ria's fees vary between online and agent locations. But for online transfers, fees depend on:
- Location. Fees depend on where you're sending from and where you're sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you're sending.
- Payment. Paying by bank is typically the cheapest option, while paying by credit card tends to come with the highest fees.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account can be less expensive.
Unlike many competitors, Ria offers the same exchange rate no matter how much you send.
Sending $1,000 from Australia to India
As of 01 April, 2020, the cheapest option to send money to India is a bank-to-bank transfer with $15 in fees. The most expensive option is paying with a credit card for delivery as a cash pickup, which costs more, depending on the location.
When we checked, Ria's margin markup for AUD to INR was 0.5%.
Calculate how much your transfer with Ria could cost
Choose your currency and desired transfer amount. Exchange rates change frequently, so visit Ria's site for a final quote.
How long does a Ria money transfer take?
Turnaround depends on how quickly you need your money delivered and how much you want to pay.
Fastest option — as little as 15 minutes
Pay for your transfer with a credit or debit card. When using a credit or debit card, you'll typically pay more in fees, but your money arrives in as little as 15 minutes. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer.
Cheapest option — up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is typically the cheapest way to send money, but it's nearly always the slowest. For your first transfer through Ria, you may have to verify your account, which can take four or more business days. After verification, your delivery can take an additional four business days.
Where can I use Ria?
Ria is available in more than 160 countries through over 389,000 agent locations. See our complete list of available currencies above.
Ria offices are available in:
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- United Kingdom
- United States
Online transfers are available to residents sending from:
- United Kingdom
- United States
How does Ria keep my money safe?
Ria Money Transfer has been in operation since 1987 and is a global company that serves millions of customers. It partners with large brands like Walmart, and it uses many security features to keep your data and money safe:
- Identity verification. Suspicious activity such as logging in from various IP addresses and sending money to many diverse locations may trigger flags to help protect your account.
- 24/7 Security Experts. A security team works around the clock to monitor transactions for suspicious activity.
- Only storing the necessary data. Ria doesn't store credit or debit card information on its servers, which means your card information can't be stolen if Ria is hacked.
What Ria's reviews look like
Reviews accurate as of 01 April, 2020.
|Trustpilot||4 out of 5 — based on 3,220 customer reviews|
|CompareRemit||2.6 out of 5 — based on 621 customer reviews|
|Monito||5.8 out of 10 — based on staff reviews|
Most online complaints target the fees charged at Ria agent locations that differ from prices quoted online. Ria lists this possibility on its website, but you can easily miss this note while getting a price quote. You can find answers to other questions in Ria's extensive FAQ section, or contact the company by email, phone or social media.
A subsidiary of Euronet Worldwide, Ria is the third-largest money transfer service in the world. Ria is headquartered in Buena Park, California, and sends money throughout North and Latin America, Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe. In 2014, the company paired with Walmart to launch Walmart-2-Walmart to send money to any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico.
How do I send money through Ria?
Six steps to sending money online:
- Specify how much you'd like to send and where you'd like to transfer your funds to.
- Select whether you'll pay for your transfer by debit card, credit card or bank account.
- Confirm the transaction summary that details the exchange rate and fees that apply to your transfer.
- Enter your recipient's full name, email address and phone number.
- Select how you'd like your money delivered: bank deposit, cash pickup or courier delivery, if available in your recipient's country.
- Transfer your funds around the world.
What's needed to transfer cash online through Ria
To transfer cash online through Ria, you'll need:
- A Ria account. Create a free account as you're setting up your transaction for an online transfer.
- Valid payment. Ria accepts payment by bank account, debit card and credit card.
- Valid ID. A government-issued ID may be required while creating your account or sending a transfer at a Ria agent location.
- Recipient's name and contact information. The name on the transfer must match their government-issued ID.
- Recipient's bank account information. If you're transferring money to their bank account, you'll need both their account and routing numbers.
- Your contact and banking information. That includes the account or card number and security information for the account you're transferring from.
How to register an account
You'll need to sign up for a free account with Ria before you can send an online transfer. Here's what you'll need to do.
How do I make an international money transfer with Ria?
You can send money overseas with Ria by completing the following steps:
- Sign in to your Ria account.
- Enter the amount of money you want to transfer and select the country you want to send it to.
- Select your payment method and enter your payment details.
- Select your payout method.
- Enter your recipient's information including their full name, email address and phone number, and their bank account details (if sending a bank deposit).
- Review all transfer details and submit your transaction.
How to track a Ria money transfer
Go to the Ria tracking page to confirm the progress of your transfer. Here you'll enter your order number, PIN or reference number. You'll also enter the sender's date of birth and the recipient's country. You can track online and at Ria agent location money transfers this way.
Ria's tracking number is 12 digits and is called the Order Pin.
Does Ria have a mobile app?
Ria Money Transfers has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to:
- Send again. Repeat a previous transfer by selecting it from your activity list in the app.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Share order details. Sending key order information like the tracking PIN number to your recipient can be done with just a few taps.
- Find an agent location. Use the in-app map to find agent locations based on your GPS or around the world.
|Reviews accurate as of 01 April, 2020|
|Google Play Store||2.7 out of 5 — based on 12 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||2.9 out of 5 — based on 125 customer reviews|
Ria is a straightforward option to send money all over the world. It has relatively low markups on the mid-market rate and offers secure transfers to its customers. Digital competitors like XE and OFX often offer lower fees and stronger rates, but those specialists may not offer cash pickup at as many locations.
Frequently asked questions
What are Ria's customer service hours?
Does Ria offer refer-a-friend promotions?
Why is my Ria account locked?
Why is Ria reviewing my transfer?
How do I cancel a transfer?
How long will a refund take if I cancel my transaction?
How does Ria compare to other services?
The table below will help you see how Ria stacks up to other money transfer providers.
Want to compare Ria with other services side-by-side?
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.