Send cash overseas to more than 190 countries with MoneyGram.
MoneyGram is a money transfer service operating in over 190 countries. Powered by global foreign exchange leader OFX, with MoneyGram you can send funds via an online bank transfer straight to your recipient’s account, or from one of thousands of agent locations to other locations or bank accounts around the globe.
Because MoneyGram allows cash pick-up in a huge range of popular and exotic locations, it’s perfect for sending cash to relatives without bank accounts or travelling friends and family who need urgent funds.
If you're sending cash through a MoneyGram agent it can be available to pick up in as little as ten minutes in some cases, so if you need to send money in a hurry you can.
MoneyGram exchange rates
As mentioned, MoneyGram is powered by OFX, a leading money transfer provider in Australia with competitive fees and exchange rates. You can see a comparison of MoneyGram’s exchange rates below.
|1 AUD in:||MoneyGram||Commonwealth Bank||CurrencyFair|
Comparison accurate at time of writing 16/10/14 2:00PM EST.
As you can see, MoneyGram offers competitive rates compared to banks and even other money transfer services. Keep in mind that the above comparison doesn’t take into account fees. Read on to see a common transfer and the fees you’d be charged for it.
How much does it cost to transfer money with MoneyGram?
MoneyGram has a simple fee structure. If you’re transferring under AUD$10,000, you’ll be charged a flat fee of $15 per transfer.
Transfers over $10,000 come with no transfer fees.
If you transfer regularly you can also make use of MoneyGram’s "bundle" feature, which you can purchase in advance.
The way it works is simple: if you bundle four transfers together you’ll pay $11.25 per transfer rather than $15. If you bundle 15 transfers together you’ll pay $9 per transfer, meaning a saving of $90. The table below shows different savings for different bundle amounts.
|No. of transfers in bundle||Cost||Cost without bundle||Saving|
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
MoneyGram has a minimum transfer amount of $250, so it can’t be used for small transfers, and has a maximum of $100,000.
Money transfers through MoneyGram are available in 197 countries, and the following currencies are supported:
What types of transfers can you carry out with MoneyGram?
MoneyGram allows a range of transfers, including:
- Spot transfers. These are transfers that allow you to lock in a spot rate and then make your transfer within two days. This means you can select a competitive rate and make a transfer when you’re ready.
- Limit orders. A limit order allows you to specify an exchange rate you want and then wait until your rate is reached. Only then will your transfer be carried out, meaning you get to make a transfer at the rate which satisfies you. There’s a minimum amount of $30,000 with this type of transfer.
- Forward contracts. A forward contract basically refers to you being able to lock in a rate now for a transfer in the future. MoneyGram allows you to settle in as little as 2 days or as long as 12 months, and is available for amounts above $30,000.
- Regular transfers. You can schedule these with MoneyGram in the event that you need to make regular transfers overseas. If you have fixed payments you can lock in an exchange rate upfront, otherwise your rate will vary as usual.
The MoneyGram registration and transfer process
To start making funds transfers with MoneyGram, you need to register for a free account on the MoneyGram website. The registration will require you to enter in a few details about yourself, including whether you’ll be making bank account to bank account transfers or cash transfers.
You’ll also need to enter in your name and details about where you live, as well as some basic information about the transfers you plan to make.
Once this is complete you’ll receive an email and a phone call from MoneyGram to finalise your registration.
Money transfers with MoneyGram
If you’re making a transfer, you can do so with cash in person at a MoneyGram Branch, or online.
To conduct a cash transfer with MoneyGram you’ll need to find a MoneyGram agent, bring some identification, including a passport or driver’s licence, and then complete the money transfer form. You’ll then need to contact the recipient and give them the reference number.
In Australia, you can make cash transfers at 7-Eleven stores, Global Speedlink and more.
Sending money to a bank account overseas with MoneyGram is also simple. All you need to do is log in to your account and specify the amount you’re transferring, and then accept the quote.
Then you’ll need to send MoneyGram the money, and they’ll send it to the recipient. Money is usually transferred to the recipient within one to two days of sending it to MoneyGram.
Pros and cons of using MoneyGram
- Competitive exchange rates. As can be seen in the comparison above, MoneyGram has competitive exchange rates.
- Different transfer types available. MoneyGram allows you to carry out forward contracts, limit orders, spot transfers, and even allows cash transfers.
- Powered by OFX. OFX is a trusted foreign exchange service with offices around the globe.
- Large number of countries and currencies supported. MoneyGram allows you to send money to 197 countries in a large range of currencies.
- Flat fee for transfers under $10,000. If you’re transferring even a small amount you’ll still pay $15. On a $250 transfer this equates to almost 6% of the total transfer amount.
- Minimum amount of $250. You can’t send small amounts through MoneyGram.
Frequently asked questions about MoneyGram money transfers
What security methods does MoneyGram use for money transfers?
MoneyGram uses 2048 SSL certificates and Thawte online security to protect your transfers.
How can you check the status of your transfer with MoneyGram?
You can check the status of your transfers by logging into your account and selecting the 'Your Transfers' tab. MoneyGram will also send you a confirmation email once the transfer is made.
When can I make online transfers?
You can make transfers at any time of the day or week.