Macquarie Bank International money transfers
Macquarie Bank offers a personalised international money transfer service powered by OFX, so you know you’re getting a competitive rate.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Available for both personal and corporate customers, you may want consider using Macquarie Bank if you’d like the security of a bank, but the competitive exchange of a dedicated money transfer service.
A leading provider of banking, financial, investment advice and funds management, Macquarie Bank has now tapped into the international money transfer market. With their area of expertise, Macquarie tends to focus on the investment aspect of currency exchange, such as forward contracts and limit orders. These are handy for businesses that deal with good and services overseas, or the typical foreign investor.
Macquarie Bank actually owns 51% of OFX, so the transfers are powered by OFX and there are up to 48 currencies available to buy and sell.
What's in this review?
- Macquarie Bank exchange rates
- What currencies are available?
- How much does it cost to transfer money with Macquarie Bank?
- What types of transfers can you carry out with Macquarie Bank?
- The registration and transfer process
- Pros and cons
- What other products and services does Macquarie Bank offer?
Macquarie Bank exchange rates
Some of the rates Macquarie Bank uses for international money transfers are given below. Rates current as of 25/11/14:
What currencies are available?
How much does it cost to transfer money with Macquarie Bank?
A transaction fee of up to AUD $15.00 or the foreign currency equivalent will apply to transactions under AUD $10,000. There is no fee for transactions over AUD $15,000.
Please note that extra fees and charges may apply if there is more than one beneficiary involved. For example, if an amount of AUD $10,000 is being sent to more than one beneficiary, then separate fees would be charged.
What types of transfers can you carry out with Macquarie Bank?
Macquarie Bank offers the following products and services regarding foreign exchange:
- Spot contracts with a two day settlement
- Forward contracts (up to 12 months) - You can lock in today’s exchange rate for a transaction in the future
- Limit orders - You can choose a target rate for your international transfer, and Macquarie will keep an eye on the market to achieve it for you
- Foreign exchange options
- Deposit and payment products that are limited to non-cash payment products
- Automated transfers - You can choose from fortnightly, monthly or quarterly payments in 17 currencies.
You can also speak to a Macquarie foreign exchange dealer between Monday 7am Sydney time, and Friday 5pm New York time, which is around 8am Sydney time. This is essentially a 24-hour service from Monday to Friday.
The registration and transfer process
This service is open to anyone (whether it’s for personal or business) who wishes to send currency to a bank in another country.
- You’ll need to choose a username or password, give some information about yourself and fill in your contact details
- Once an account has been created for you, you’ll need to log into your account on the official Macquarie site. From here, you can request an exchange rate that you’d like to transact in
- Confirm your recipient details, your exchange rate and the amount
- Transfer the payment
- Macquarie Bank will then move the funds to your recipient.
Pros and cons
- Competitive exchange rates. Macquarie Bank uses OFX's exchange rates, which are generally considered as some of the most competitive in the market.
- Speedy transactions. Macquarie can help you send money quickly.
- Safe and secure. All transfers are handled securely and client funds are never paid until before receiving the funds.
- Track your transfer. You can check how your transfer has progressed, from your first quote until it’s been transferred.
- No cash pickups available. You can't send funds overseas to be picked up as cash by your recipient.
What other products and services does Macquarie Bank offer?
- Help your clients. Macquarie Bank also lets you help your clients find a better exchange. Foreign payments provide the opportunity to expand their business overseas, or could help invest across borders.
- Other financial products. Macquarie Bank also offers credit cards, SMSFs, insurance, home loans, savings accounts and business products.
Macquarie Bank’s international money transfers are powered by OFX, a money transfer service that prides itself in offering competitive exchange rates compared to the banks. If you’d prefer a 24-hour service with a large choice of currencies backed by the security of a bank, you might find Macquarie’s services helpful.
Macquarie Bank provides a flexible and competitive international money transfer service. With a huge range of currencies available, you’ll find the process simple and easy to send money back home.
More guides on Finder
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let's see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Polkadot (DOT) cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the DOT cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
How to invest in the BTCC Bitcoin ETF
The world's first physical Bitcoin ETF has launched onto the stock market. Here's how to invest if you're in Australia.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert