We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Available for both personal and corporate customers, you may want consider using Macquarie Bank if you’d like the security of a bank, but the competitive exchange of a dedicated money transfer service.
A leading provider of banking, financial, investment advice and funds management, Macquarie Bank has now tapped into the international money transfer market. With their area of expertise, Macquarie tends to focus on the investment aspect of currency exchange, such as forward contracts and limit orders. These are handy for businesses that deal with good and services overseas, or the typical foreign investor.
Macquarie Bank actually owns 51% of OFX, so the transfers are powered by OFX and there are up to 48 currencies available to buy and sell.
Macquarie Bank exchange rates
Some of the rates Macquarie Bank uses for international money transfers are given below. Rates current as of 25/11/14:
What currencies are available?
How much does it cost to transfer money with Macquarie Bank?
A transaction fee of up to AUD $15.00 or the foreign currency equivalent will apply to transactions under AUD $10,000. There is no fee for transactions over AUD $15,000.
Please note that extra fees and charges may apply if there is more than one beneficiary involved. For example, if an amount of AUD $10,000 is being sent to more than one beneficiary, then separate fees would be charged.
What types of transfers can you carry out with Macquarie Bank?
Macquarie Bank offers the following products and services regarding foreign exchange:
- Spot contracts with a two day settlement
- Forward contracts (up to 12 months) - You can lock in today’s exchange rate for a transaction in the future
- Limit orders - You can choose a target rate for your international transfer, and Macquarie will keep an eye on the market to achieve it for you
- Foreign exchange options
- Deposit and payment products that are limited to non-cash payment products
- Automated transfers - You can choose from fortnightly, monthly or quarterly payments in 17 currencies.
You can also speak to a Macquarie foreign exchange dealer between Monday 7am Sydney time, and Friday 5pm New York time, which is around 8am Sydney time. This is essentially a 24-hour service from Monday to Friday.
The registration and transfer process
This service is open to anyone (whether it’s for personal or business) who wishes to send currency to a bank in another country.
- You’ll need to choose a username or password, give some information about yourself and fill in your contact details
- Once an account has been created for you, you’ll need to log into your account on the official Macquarie site. From here, you can request an exchange rate that you’d like to transact in
- Confirm your recipient details, your exchange rate and the amount
- Transfer the payment
- Macquarie Bank will then move the funds to your recipient.
Pros and cons
- Competitive exchange rates. Macquarie Bank uses OFX's exchange rates, which are generally considered as some of the most competitive in the market.
- Speedy transactions. Macquarie can help you send money quickly.
- Safe and secure. All transfers are handled securely and client funds are never paid until before receiving the funds.
- Track your transfer. You can check how your transfer has progressed, from your first quote until it’s been transferred.
- No cash pickups available. You can't send funds overseas to be picked up as cash by your recipient.
What other products and services does Macquarie Bank offer?
- Help your clients. Macquarie Bank also lets you help your clients find a better exchange. Foreign payments provide the opportunity to expand their business overseas, or could help invest across borders.
- Other financial products. Macquarie Bank also offers credit cards, SMSFs, insurance, home loans, savings accounts and business products.
Macquarie Bank’s international money transfers are powered by OFX, a money transfer service that prides itself in offering competitive exchange rates compared to the banks. If you’d prefer a 24-hour service with a large choice of currencies backed by the security of a bank, you might find Macquarie’s services helpful.
Macquarie Bank provides a flexible and competitive international money transfer service. With a huge range of currencies available, you’ll find the process simple and easy to send money back home.
More guides on Finder
Top Bitcoin exchanges
With 30+ platforms available to buy Bitcoin from in Australia, it can be overwhelming to choose. Our experts have compared exchanges so you don’t have to.
ASOS discount codes 2021 | Up to 80% off: Final Clearance
Here you can find active ASOS codes of up to 80% off that can be used for discounts on your total order or for discounted shipping rates.
CommBank Ultimate Awards Credit Card with Qantas Points
With 70,000 bonus Qantas Points on offer and up to 1.2 points per $1 spent, how do the features on this CommBank credit card stack up?
Tips to safely send cryptocurrency to a wallet
SPONSORED: Save yourself the heartache of lost funds by learning how to safely send cryptocurrency from one wallet to another with this simple guide.
A beginner’s guide to Bitcoin and cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to Bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Compare Citibank Australia transaction and savings accounts
Citibank offers a range of personal banking products for customers in Australia.
MasterRemit international money transfers review
MasterRemit allows you to transfer your money quickly in a range of currencies.
NFT Marketplaces Review and Guide
An all-encompassing guide on NFT marketplaces. Learn how to sell, buy and create your own NFTs on the world's most popular marketplaces.
How to get Virgin Money’s new 1.50% p.a. bonus savings account rate
The Virgin Money Boost Saver account is offering a new bonus rate of 1.50% p.a. for a limited time only. Here's how to get it, and how this offer compares.
The Perth Mint review
We look at the pros and cons for those hoping to invest in gold bullion and other precious metals with Perth Mint.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
New customers use code AZIMO50 to get GBP 5 off when you transfer GBP 50+. Valid till 31 October 2021. T&Cs apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
New customers get their first transaction for free with code FIRSTFREE. T&Cs apply.
Send money in minutes at competitive exchange rates with this Australian money transfer service.
Ask an Expert