Review: Lotus Foreign Exchange international money transfers
Send fast international transfers and buy travel money in over 35 currencies, but make sure you double-check the exchange rate and transaction fee first.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Fast transfers
- Large transfer network
- Cash pick-up and telegraphic transfers
- Foreign currency exchange services
Not so great for
- Online transfers
- Dated website
- Limited information available online
What's in this guide?
- Lotus Foreign Exchange exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can you make with Lotus Foreign Exchange?
- How long does a transfer with Lotus Foreign Exchange take?
- What payment methods does Lotus Foreign Exchange accept?
- Is Lotus Foreign Exchange safe to use?
- How to register an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with Lotus Foreign Exchange?
- What is Lotus Foreign Exchange?
- In a nutshell
- How does Lotus Foreign Exchange compare to other providers?
- Frequently asked questions
Lotus Foreign Exchange exchange rates and fees
Unfortunately, there's limited information available online about the exchange rates and transaction fees offered by Lotus Foreign Exchange. While the website lists transfer fees for when you want to send money to destinations such as India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China and Bangladesh, these fees are listed in New Zealand dollars (NZD) and vary depending on the amount you want to send. You'll also need to contact the provider directly for more information about what exchange rate will apply to your transaction.
Lotus Foreign Exchange allows you to send international transfers and purchase travel money in a wide range of currencies, including:
- NZD New Zealand dollars
- FJD Fijian dollars
- INR Indian rupees
- GBP British pound
- PKR Pakistani rupee
- LKR Sri Lankan rupee
- CNY Chinese yuan
- EUR Euro
What types of transfers can you make with Lotus Foreign Exchange?
Lotus Foreign Exchange offers two types of transfers:
- Cash pick-up transfers. Lotus Foreign Exchange is associated with MoneyGram International, which operates approximately 350,000 cash pick-up locations in over 200 countries around the world.
- Telegraphic transfers. Lock in a favourable exchange rate now and send your money up to two years into the future.
The company also offers currency exchange services for anyone looking to purchase travel money. These services are available at Lotus Foreign Exchange's offices in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.
How long does a transfer with Lotus Foreign Exchange take?
Cash pick-up transfers sent via the MoneyGram network are typically available for your recipient to collect within minutes.
Telegraphic transfers take longer to process, but no exact time frame is quoted on the Lotus Foreign Exchange website.
What payment methods does Lotus Foreign Exchange accept?
Lotus Foreign Exchange accepts the following payment methods:
- Bank cheque
- Bank transfer
Transfers typically take
Is Lotus Foreign Exchange safe to use?
- Regulation: Regulated in Australia by ASIC and AUSTRAC.
- Global network: International cash transfers via MoneyGram's global network.
Lotus Foreign Exchange is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and is listed on the AUSTRAC Remittance Sector Register. It is also licensed to offer transfer and foreign exchange services in Fiji and New Zealand.
However, there's no information on the company's website about what security measures it has in place to protect customer data and funds.
How does Lotus Foreign Exchange make money?
Lotus Foreign Exchange makes money from transaction fees and from the margin it adds on top of the mid-market rate. The mid-market rate is the "real" exchange rate you see listed on currency conversion sites like XE.
How to register an account
As Lotus Foreign Exchange does not offer an online transfer service, you don't need to register for an online account before sending funds. And if you wish to buy foreign currency from the provider, you'll need to visit one of its branches in person.
How do I make an international money transfer with Lotus Foreign Exchange?
To send a cash transfer you will need to:
- Visit your nearest Lotus Foreign Exchange branch.
- Fill out a form with your name and address and your recipient's name and contact details.
- Specify the amount you want to send.
- Pay for the transaction.
- You'll be provided with a PIN which you can use to track the transaction and which your recipient will need to collect the cash.
To send a telegraphic transfer you will need to:
- Fill out a requisition of telegraphic transfer form with your name and contact details, and your recipient's name and bank account details.
- Review the exchange rate and transaction fee.
- Pay for the transaction.
What is Lotus Foreign Exchange?
Lotus Foreign Exchange is a foreign currency exchange and international money transfer provider with branches in Australia, Fiji and New Zealand. It offers cash transfer services via MoneyGram as well as a telegraphic transfer service.
In addition, the company offers foreign exchange services if you want to purchase overseas currency. It allows customers to exchange travel money in more than 35 major currencies, with competitive exchange rates and 7 Australian branches.
Lotus Foreign Exchange's Australian branches are located in Blacktown, Parramatta, Hurstville, Darling Harbour, Liverpool, Pitt Street (Sydney CBD) and Brisbane.
In a nutshell
- Fast cash transfers. When you send a cash transfer with Lotus, the money you send is typically available for your recipient to collect within minutes.
- Large transfer network. Because Lotus Foreign Exchange is associated with MoneyGram, you can send money to hundreds of thousands of locations in over 200 countries around the world.
- Also offers travel money. If you're looking to purchase travel money at a competitive rate, Lotus also offers foreign exchange services. You can visit an Australian branch and use AUD to buy more than 35 foreign currencies.
- No online transfers. If you want to send money online, you'll need to look for another money transfer service.
- Disappointing website. The Lotus Foreign Exchange website looks quite dated and doesn't offer a user-friendly experience.
- Limited information available online. There's not much information on the Lotus Foreign Exchange website about important factors like transaction fees, transfer times and exchange rates.
How does Lotus Foreign Exchange compare to other providers?
Use the comparison table below to see how the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Lotus Foreign Exchange compare with those of other money transfer services.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created "by traders, for traders".
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Review: CoinField cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the CoinField cryptocurrency exchange in this review.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert