How to send money to Spain
Save time and money when sending money to Spain from Australia.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Spain may be on the other side of the world, but it's a country that Australia has strong links with. More than 58,000 Australians are of full or partial Spanish descent, with particularly large expat communities located in Sydney and Melbourne.
With such strong ties between the two countries, transferring money from Australia to Spain is a common transaction many people have to complete. But while it's possible to do this via your bank, you can enjoy big savings by utilising the services of a specialist money transfer provider.
Send money to Spain with TorFX
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
- No transfer fees
- Price match guarantee
- Dedicated account manager assigned to you
- Forex tools available
Compare international money transfers to Spain
What's in this guide?
- What's the best way to send money to Spain?
- How to send money to Spain online
- What are the ways that I can send money to Spain
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Spain
- Spain's exchange rates explained
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Spain
- What to watch out for
- Bottom line
What's the best way to send money to Spain?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Spain. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you'll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's Spanish bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram, Ria Money Transfers and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Spain— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
Spain uses the euro. The euro is a popular currency, so your local bank may be able to exchange them. If your bank supports the euro, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Spain.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Spain
Let's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Spain. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of June 9, 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$6||$60.00||$9 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.62 EUR||1 AUD = 0.58 EUR||1 AUD = 0.59 EUR|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Same day||2-5 days|
|Amount received||EUR 615||EUR 580||EUR 589|
The digital money transfer option ends up being the best value, while a cash transfer is faster.
How to send money to Spain online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their Spanish bank account information.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Spain. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Spain
- Bank transfers. Many major Australian banks will allow you to send money to Spain.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like XE and CurrencyTransfer can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union, Remitly and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Australia to Spain.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas if necessary.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Spain
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Spain to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-EUR relationship fluctuates often, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the euro rises against Australia dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger AUD-EUR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of euros you're sending to Spain.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Spain.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Spanish bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Spain
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Spain quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Spain without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Spain's exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Spain's exchange rate is flexible compared to the Australian dollar, and the AUD-EUR relationship typically changes daily. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Spain
To send money to Spain from Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Spain may differ by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money from Australia to Spain, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Spanish bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Spain
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Spanish Passport, Spanish ID or similar official ID that is valid in the EU may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
Sending money to Spain may be subject to taxes on the money transfer, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Sending your hard-earned money to Spain shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
MoneyMe Freestyle Virtual Mastercard
Get $250 credit back when you meet the eligibility requirements and 55 days interest-free on purchases.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
Coronavirus: Common scams to watch out for
Details on the most common scams to avoid during the coronavirus health crisis, plus tips for keeping your information safe online.
Revolut launches in Australia: How does it compare to rival neobanks and fintechs?
As Revolut announces it's open for business in Australia, we look at how it compares to the likes of Up bank, TransferWise and 86 400.
Rush app review (prev. SendGold): Buy, sell and gift gold online in seconds
We look at the fees and features of the SendGold bullion dealer platform.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
You can now pay for Bitcoin at Australia Post (with 5.9% in fees)
For only ~7% all up in fees and spreads you can start enjoying an impractical new payment method.
How the barter economy works
Barter trading involves the exchange of goods and services without monetary involvement.
Submission to the ACCC foreign currency conversion services inquiry
Finder's submission in response to the ACCC foreign currency conversion services inquiry.
Submission to the Select Committee on Financial Technology and Regulatory Technology
Our submission to the Select Committee on Fintech & Regtech where we called for more companies to be included in the CDR accreditation process, the accelerated introduction of 'write-access' to Open Banking and a number of suggestions to help Australia take a prominent role in global blockchain standards.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert