Send money to Madagascar using these powerful money transfer companies.
Australia is Madagascar’s 29th highest import source and ranks at 35th as an export destination. Business opportunities in Madagascar are to be found in the agricultural and mining sectors, with a focus on fishing, forestry, ilmenite and gemstones according to the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Madagascar is one of the many countries part of the Southern African Development Community, the Indian Ocean Commission and the Indian Ocean Rim Association. This country, with its unique flora and fauna habitats, has strong existing trade relations with Australia, especially due to its close proximity and commercial opportunities for Madagascar.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Speak to a FX Expert
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options. Our foreign exchange experts offer a best rate guarantee, are ASIC authorised and never charge transfer fees.
They can help you with all your needs including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
Inspired by his favourite childhood movie, Madagascar, Chad has wanted to visit this country since he was a young boy. Chad couldn’t find a solution from his local bank in Australia to send him a cash pickup in the MGA and has therefore compared two money transfer companies with a cash pickup option. He uses 1,000 AUD as a comparing amount.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 2,187.466404 MGA||1 AUD = 2227.4105 MGA|
|Transfer fee||25 AUD||70 AUD|
|Amount of MGA received in Madagascar for 1,000 AUD||2,187,466.40 MGA||2,227,411.00 MGA|
|Transfer options||Online, agent, phone||Online, agent, phone|
|Difference in MGA||- 34 944.60 MGA||+ 34 944.60 MGA|
What factors can Chad include in comparing different services for sending money between Madagascar and Australia
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate is fairly consistent with some volatile movements. Consider a forwarded contract if you see a more favorable exchange rate.
- Pickup methods. Send money to physical agent locations for a cash pickup, mobile devices and bank accounts.
- Fees. Fees range from 15 AUD to 70 AUD, companies like OFX International will offer a solid rate with a low sending fee but the delivery of the currency can take 2 days and more depending on the recipient location.
- Bank to bank benefits
- Turnaround time. A quicker turnaround usually comes at a cost. The cash pickup options as explored above usually implicate a higher sending fee and in some instances a lower rate. The turnaround time with the available companies will take anywhere between ten minutes and four days.
- Transfer methods. The different transfer methods range from basic services like agent or phone, to online portals and mobile apps.
- Transfer options. You can choose between spot contracts, booked rates/forwarded contracts, recurring payments, and limit orders.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. Minimum amounts start at 10 AUD for Western Union and at 250 AUD for the other money transfer companies. For some maximum amounts, it will realize in a lower fee but will also require you to go into the branch or agent location to make the transfer.
- Customer service. Keep in mind that sending money overseas can be a stressful task if it’s a new activity for you. Customer support can make or break whether it a good or bad experience. Many of the companies listed below have a proven track record of good customer support that makes the process enjoyable.
What options do you have when sending money to Madagascar?
Money transfer services
- The available transfer companies to send money from Australia to Madagascar include OFX International, World First Foreign Exchange, Moneygram, Western Union, and Xpress Money.
- You can use a couple of Australian banks like ANZ, Citibank, Commonwealth Bank, and Macquarie Bank to send money to Madagascar. It is advised to visit a branch to learn about current exchange rates and more about fees. The fees range between 18 AUD and 33 AUD.
- The Paypal service is available in the Madagascar market but does not support the MGA currency as of yet. The EUR and USD are accepted occasionally and can be received for currency exchange at a local exchange bureau.
Is it possible for Chad to send money Australia from Madagascar?
Money transfer services
Chad can use a money transfer service with an online portal to send money to Australia from Madagascar. If he can access his bank accounts, he can send money to the transfer company to complete the transaction. If it’s cash, he can use agent locations like Moneygram, Western Union and Xpress Money and send it to a bank account or agent location in Australia.
ANZ, Citibank, Commonwealth Bank, and Macquarie Bank all accept the MGA currency and can receive money from Madagascar in this currency.
What are the emergency cash transfer options to Madagascar?
Chad has already explored the options for cash transfers which will also be used in cases of emergency. Chad’s family and friends have the option to send him cash through Moneygram, Western Union, and Xpress Money.
All three of these services offer great customer support and have locations available in at least two of the main cities in Madagascar. Below are listed some of the locations that Chad can visit to pick up any emergency cash and after that follows some tips that you can keep in mind when picking up money.
Cash pickup locations in Madagascar if you are using Moneygram, Western Union and Xpress Money
Lot Ab 70 Ter Avaratetezana, Ampitatafika
Antananarivo, Analamanga 101
Monday to Sunday, 8am to 5pm
Place Du 19 Mai 1946
Antananarivo, Antananarivo 101
Monday to Saturday, 8am to 5pm, Sunday closed
- Toamasina Commerce
Rue De Commerce
Toamasina, Toamasina 501
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm
Saturday and Sunday closed
- MCB Madagascar
Route De Mahajanga
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4pm
Saturday and Sunday, 12am to 12pm
Andraharo Lot I VV 44 Rue Dr Raseta
Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm
Saturday 8:30am to 12:30pm, Sunday, 12am to 12pm
- Accesbanque - Toamasina
Lotissement 15 Bis Boulevard DE
Monday to Friday 7:30am to 5pm
Saturday 7:30am to 1:30pm, Sunday, 12am to 12pm
- Banque Des Mascareignes Madagascar -
Money Express LDT - Antananarivo Br
22, Avenue De L’Independance Analakely Antananarivo 3VND
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Saturday, 8am to 12pm, Sunday closed
- Banque Des Mascareignes Madagascar-
Money Express LDT - Toamasina Br
38 Boulevard Joffre, Toamasina (Tamatave),
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Saturday, 8am to 12pm, Sunday closed
Top tips for picking up cash in Madagascar
It is advised that a traveller in Madagascar do not walk around with their passport as something that is easily accessible due to identity fraud cases. Phone ahead to the agent location you will be visiting and check if you can take along a copy of your ID or passport instead of the original document when picking up your cash.
There are some recurring cases of theft and violence as well, so when going to pick up cash, make sure that you are in a safely populated area and keep the transaction as discreet as possible. It is also advised to not travel alone when picking up cash as it makes for easy targeting.Back to top
What steps can you follow to send money to Madagascar?
Sending money through a bank or online service provider to a bank account in Madagascar
- If you are sending the money online, you will need an online account with the bank or service provider
- You will need the full name, address (basic details) and account number of the person you would like to send money to
- The name of the bank, branch number and address or in most cases the SWIFT BIC
- Currency and amount that you want to send
If you are receiving money from Madagascar, you will need to supply the sender with the above details.
Send money to a person for cash pickup
- Payments can only be made by individuals 18 years and older
- Provide the recipient’s full name and surname (a copy of their ID will be handy) and address of the sending location
- You will need to provide either the cash that you want to send or pay with an accepted Visa or Mastercard according to the location you are sending from
Picking up cash from an agent location
- Provide your ID along with the tracking / reference number of the transaction
- It’s always a good idea to take along a receipt of the original transaction
Its Real GDP has seen increasing growth of 5% year on year above the worldwide average. Merchandise trade relations with Australia has totalled A$21 million and trade in services have come in at A$5 between the two countries.