How to send money to Macau
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Macau.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The small country within China has seen booming Real GDP growth in the past few years and has had some of the highest historical Per-capita GDP cases coming at US$92,504. Australia and Macao SAR didn’t lose out on their own booming economic relations and have seen positive year on year growth in their trade relationship.
The total merchandise trade between the two countries was over A$68 million in 2015. Australia is Macao SAR’s 15th highest import source and its 13th highest export source. Furthermore, according to Austrade, “the Macao Government is committed to open economies and to enhance cooperation with major trading partners including Australia.”
This has seen opportunities open up for Australian companies in the areas of energy-efficiency, water resource management and clean air products and services. The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has also reported that “Melbourne-based Crown Limited has an interest in the $549 million Altira, which opened in 2007, and the $2.3 billion City of Dreams, which opened in June 2009.”
Compare Money Transfer Services
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- What variables can Kan use to do an effective comparison study on sending money to Macao?
- How can you send and receive money between Macao, China and Australia?
- What you need to know about emergency cash transfers to Macao SAR
- Cash pickup locations in Macao SAR using Moneygram and Western Union
- Western Union
- Tips for picking up cash in Macau
- What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macao SAR?
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 5.6201 MOP||1 AUD = 5.7870 MOP|
|Transfer fee||18 AUD||n/a as it varies per transaction but more competitive than a bank|
|Amount of MOP received in Macau for 1,000 AUD||5,620.15 MOP||5,787.00 MOP|
|Transfer time||Minutes||2 working days|
|Transfer options||Phone, Online, Agent||Online Account|
|Difference in MOP||-167.15 MOP||+167.15 MOP|
What variables can Kan use to do an effective comparison study on sending money to Macao?
- Exchange rates. Before settling on an exchange rate, make sure you are benefitting from an exchange rate that is real time and based on the option you will go forth with. Many companies display an interbank rate and not the rate they will quote themselves.
- Pickup methods. Pickup methods can either be a cash pickup at an agent location or home address specified, or the transfer can be received in a bank account.
- Fees. Fees can generally speaking be fairly simple to compare, but as in this case with Macao in China, because of the location, it becomes more difficult with some companies. Do research on previous case studies where individuals made use of a service that doesn’t state its cost and whether it was a deal-breaker or complimented the overall experience.
- Bank to bank benefits. There aren’t any notable banks that have branches in Australia and Macao SAR for bank to bank benefits, but Citibank supports the MOP currency and will allow you to send money there. It is advised that you visit a Citibank branch to confirm whether you qualify for this feature.
- Turnaround time. The expected turnaround time for using a money transfer service or your local bank is usually in the range of a couple of minutes or two to four working days.
- Transfer methods. If you are planning on doing regular payments, creating an online account with a money transfer company is a wise move. The available services offer online, phone and branch methods to initiate the payment.
- Transfer options. The transfer options include once-off payments, regular payments and forwarded contracts.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. Minimum transfer amounts range from 0 to 10 AUD and maximums up to and over 10,000 AUD. When comparing, look out for limits on how much per day or per week you can transfer.
- Customer service. The available options of companies to choose from when sending money to Macau might be limited, but customer support is not! These companies have great customer support and can mostly help you on phone, email, agent / branch and even chat! This is one of the biggest decision-making factors when it comes to covering your risk.
How can you send and receive money between Macao, China and Australia?
Money transfer service
Due to the geographical situation that Macao SAR finds itself in, most companies focus on China and surrounding countries more than Macao SAR. This means there are a more limited amount of companies that can send money there. Moneygram and Western Union send money to Macao SAR, but only Western Union sends it in the supported MOP.
Another service that is not listed on the Finder.com.au site, is Transfermate, which requires online registration. Visit any of the Moneygram and Western Union locations listed below in the article to send money to Australia from Macao SAR.
Citibank supports the MOP currency and will allow you to send money to Macao SAR, but will require you to visit a local branch to determine costs and rates. HSBC operate in the Hong Kong area and have branches in Macau and visiting a branch could reveal more on whether a money transfer is possible.
What you need to know about emergency cash transfers to Macao SAR
Emergency cash transfers can be sent to Macao SAR using the same services as listed above. Moneygram and Western Union are dependable companies that transfer money within a couple of minutes ready for a cash pickup at a specified location.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Macao SAR using Moneygram and Western Union
- Shop of communications museum
Estrada De D. Maria IiNo. 7, Macau,
Monday to Sunday 9am to 5:30pm
- Marine terminal post office
Area De Chegadas Res Do Chao DoTerminal Maritimo Do Porto Exterior, Macau,
Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm, closed on Sundays
- Almirante Lacerda (Red Market) Post OFC
Avenida Do Ouvidor ArriageNo. 96, Edf. Centro Com. Camoes R/c -a, Macau Sar,
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm,
closed on Saturdays and Sundays
- MoneyGram (inside Bdo Remit (Macau) Limited)
Avenida De D. Joao Iv No. 2A
Unit 6-B China Plaza Bldg U, Macau
+853 2837 4385
Monday to Sunday, 9am to 7pm
Tips for picking up cash in Macau
The Macao SAR are in China is classified as a relatively safe area. But, there are yearly reports of incidents of petty crimes on tourists and people carrying valuable goods. This means that when you do your cash pickup at an agent or money withdrawal from an ATM , to do it in a controlled environment. These will include shopping centres and banks.
What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macao SAR?
To send money to a bank account in Macao SAR, you will need to provide the following beneficiary details:
- The bank name in Macao SAR, China
- The basic beneficiary details
- The account number of the beneficiary’s bank
- SWIFT / BIC details
- The right amount and currency
When you are sending a cash pick up money to a recipient:
- The address of the recipient or the address of the agent for pickup
- Basic details of the recipient
- The correct amount and currency that you are sending in
What will you need when you are at a Moneygram or Western Union branch in Macao SAR to pick up the cash?
- Your photo ID
- The tracking or reference number (called an MTCN by Western Union)
- Copy of the transaction receipt as an added safety measure
Background information about Macau
Macao SAR, China, is also known as Macau. The SAR stands for ‘Special Administrative Region’ and functions on many of its own government functions in China. It is one of the world’s richest cities (or countries) and has some of the highest spent per capita in the world.
This is in huge parts due to its Las Vegas like culture and sits as one of the gambling capitals in the world.
More guides on Finder
How to buy iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units
Steps to owning and managing iShares Global 100 AUD Hedged ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day book deals: Our top picks for all ages
Snap up best-selling reads for the whole family with these great Australian Prime Day offers.
Best Prime Day deals 2021: Highlights from day one [updated]
The wait is finally over. Here are the best Amazon Prime Day deals you can get in Australia right now.
Toyota LandCruiser 300 series: Release date, specs, price, models and more
Toyota popped the bonnet on its highly anticipated 2022 Toyota Landcruiser 300 series 4WD in June 2021. Here's everything you need to know.
Ethereum price continues to slide, correcting by 9% overnight
Crypto experts believe that ETH may still be able to go on a bull run later on this year after the ongoing bearish pressure subsides.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best Xbox and PC game deals
Whether you're a shiny Xbox owner or a proud member of the PC master race, Amazon Prime Day has what you're looking for.
Prime Day Coke deal: Get 57% off select multi-packs
Amazon's bonkers Coca-Cola deal is back for Prime Day - and this time it's brought Fanta and Sprite along to the party. Save up to 57%!
Amazon Prime Day deals from local Aussie businesses: Up to 45% off
Here are the Prime Day deals you can feel especially good about shopping.
Bitcoin price drops 5% overnight as usage weakens
After showing some signs of recovery, Bitcoin is once again starting to face a lot of bearish pressure.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert