Send money to Bermuda
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Bermuda.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The tiny British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, located in the North Atlantic, boasts a subtropical climate and beautiful beaches that make it a hotspot for tourists. If you want to send money to Bermuda from Australia, there are several ways you can do so.
From banks to specialist money transfer providers, it’s important that you compare the cost involved in sending funds overseas before you commit to a particular transfer option. Exchange rates and fees vary widely from one transfer company to the next, so you need to hunt around for the best possible deal.
Compare Money Transfer Services
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- Banks versus money transfer companies
- Case Study: Bill Sends Money to Bermuda
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bermuda?
- How do I send money to Bermuda from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Bermuda in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Bermuda
- Cash pickup locations in Bermuda/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Bermuda
- Western Union
- Tips for picking up cash in Bermuda
- What are the steps to send money to Bermuda?
Banks versus money transfer companies
Instead of shopping around for a more affordable deal, many people simply send money overseas via their bank - which is a big mistake. Banks offer some of the lowest exchange rates around on the international money transfer market, while they also regularly charge high fees on each transaction.
If you want to find a more cost-effective way to send a transfer, consider the services offered by dedicated online money transfer companies. Specialising in handling international transfers from Australia to countries around the world, these companies offer far better exchange rates and more reasonable fees than the banks. In addition to saving you money, they also offer the convenience of fast and secure online transactions.
Case Study: Bill Sends Money to Bermuda
Bill is spending 18 months working in Australia and saving money for his family back home in Bermuda. But when he gets word from his sister that she has fallen behind on her rent and she needs money ASAP, Bill plans to send an emergency transfer of funds. Rather than sending money via his bank and accepting their low exchange rate and slow processing time, he compares the services of two money transfer companies that offer a cash pickup option. Rather than sending Bermudian Dollars, Bill decides to send US Dollars to his sister
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.6742 USD||1 AUD = 0.681619 USD|
|Transfer method||Online transfer paid via credit or debit card||In-branch transfer using cash or credit card|
|Transfer time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in USD)||$674.25||$681.62|
As you can see, Bill can send an extra USD $7 by using the second transfer company and also save AUD $10 in transfer fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bermuda?
- Exchange rates. Look for a provider that regularly offers better exchange rates than its competitors, but watch out for providers who suck you in with great rates but then slug you with high transaction fees.
- Transfer fees. You’ll generally need to pay a transfer fee each time you send money overseas, so compare the fees and charges each company imposes per transaction. Some providers will even offer a fee-free threshold, which means you won’t have to pay any fee if you transfer more than a specified amount.
- Transfer methods. Some companies only offer online transfers while others will require you to visit a branch. Telephone transfers and mobile app transactions are also available.
- Options available. Forward contracts and limit orders are options offered by some providers to help you get a good exchange rate for your transaction. Some companies also offer the convenience of scheduling regular transfers in advance.
- Turnaround time. Some companies can get your funds to your beneficiary in around 10 minutes, while others will take several business days to process transfers.
- Minimum transfer amounts. If a company imposes a minimum limit of $500 on each transfer, will this be suitable for your needs?
- Pickup options. How will your beneficiary receive the funds: will they be deposited into his or her bank account or made available for collection from a cash pickup point?
- Customer service. Finally, make sure that the company you choose to handle your transaction has an excellent reputation for customer service. If you ever need a question answered, knowing that the help you need will be instantly available offers peace of mind.
How do I send money to Bermuda from Australia?
- Specialist transfer companies. There are some specialist online money transfer companies that offer quick and easy transfers to Bermuda, but most will only allow you to send US Dollars rather than Bermudian Dollars.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank about the possibility of sending an international transfer from your Australian account to an account with a bank in Bermuda.
- Interbank transfers. If you have an account with an international bank that also has branches in Bermuda, for example HSBC, you can often send fast and affordable transfers from Australia to an account in Bermuda with the same bank.
- International cheques. A slower and often more expensive option is to post an international guaranteed cheque to your recipient in Bermuda.
How do I receive money from Bermuda in Australia?
- Specialist transfer companies. It’s simple and quick to sign up for an account with a provider and receive transfers from all over the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to collect cash from agent locations across Australia.
- Bank transfers. Transfers from Bermudan banks to Australian banks are easy but may not be the most cost-effective option.
- Interbank transfers. International banks with branches in Bermuda and Australia offer cheap intrabank transfers.
- International cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure transfer method but can be slow and expensive.
Emergency cash transfers in Bermuda
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to Bermuda, watch out for any extra costs associated with the transaction. Urgent transfers regularly attract worse exchange rates and higher fees than ordinary transactions, so double check the full cost of your transfer before deciding on which provider you use. Taking a few extra moments to read the fine print can save you a whole lot of money.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Bermuda/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Bermuda
Western Union and MoneyGram offer extensive worldwide transfer networks and both operate locations in Bermuda. You’ll see a list of some popular cash pickup locations in Bermuda below, but phone ahead to confirm locations and opening times before you visit. Photo ID and a transaction reference number will also be required when picking up funds.
- Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
4th Floor British American Building 133 Front Street Hamilton, Pembroke HM12+441-2921799, open 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday, 12pm to 11pm Sunday
- Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
66 Somerset RoadSandys, Sandys MA 01+441-29-21799, open 24/7
- Bermuda Financial Network Ltd
7 Kings Square Towne Of St. George’s - St George’s, St George’s GE 05+4-41-2970070Open 24/7
- Bermuda Direct Limited
47 Dundinald StHamilton, HM 174412322274, open 9am to 9pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 6pm Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday and 11am to 6pm Sunday
Church St, Washington MallHamilton, HM 114412928747, open Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm
- 61 Middle Road
Warwick, WK 054417032272 Open 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday
Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Bermuda
If you’re picking up cash in Bermuda following a money transfer, make sure to exercise a few simple precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and your money. Avoid visiting any unsafe or high-crime areas and don’t carry large sums of money around in public. Keep your money hidden at all times and if possible, have a friend accompany you when you go to pick up the funds and provide an extra deterrent against thieves.
What are the steps to send money to Bermuda?
Although transfer processes differ between providers, you will generally need to do the following in order to send a transfer:
- Sign up for an account. Many providers offer a quick, free and simple online signup process. You will usually need to provide your name, contact details and bank account information.
- Enter transaction details. The next step is to provide information about how much money you’re sending, in which currency, and where you are transferring the funds to. You’ll also need to provide your recipient’s name and contact details.
- Finalise your transfer. You can then submit and pay for your transaction, and make sure you keep your receipt or reference number so you can monitor the progress of your transaction.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert