How to buy Bitcoin Gold (BTG) in Australia
Learn how to buy Bitcoin Gold (BTG) on 19+ crypto exchanges in our step-by-step guide.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can buy Bitcoin Gold (BTG) on a cryptocurrency exchange like Digital Surge. These specialised marketplaces that allow you to buy and sell cryptocurrencies, and work similar to stock trading platforms. Bitcoin Gold was created when Bitcoin (BTC) hard-forked on October 25, 2017, at bitcoin block 491,407. Here's how to buy Bitcoin Gold.
How to buy Bitcoin Gold in 4 easy steps
The whole process can take as little as 15 minutes and all you'll need is a smartphone or computer, an internet connection, photo identification and a means of payment.
- Compare crypto exchangesThe easiest way to buy Bitcoin Gold is from a cryptocurrency exchange. Comparing in the table below lets you find one with the features you want such as low fees, ease of use or 24-hour customer support.
- Create an account To create an account on an exchange, you will need to verify your email address and identity. Have some photo ID and your phone ready.
- Make a depositOnce verified, you can deposit $ using the payment method that best suits you – bank transfer, cryptocurrency, POLi and Osko payments are widely accepted.
- Buy Bitcoin Gold You can now exchange your funds for Bitcoin Gold. On easier-to-use exchanges, this is as simple as entering the amount you want to purchase and clicking buy. If you like, you can now withdraw your Bitcoin Gold to your personal wallet.
Where to buy Bitcoin Gold in Australia
Find an exchange to buy, sell and trade BTG by comparing deposit methods, supported fiat currencies and fees. Select Go to site to sign up directly with the provider.
How do I find the best places to buy Bitcoin Gold?
Cryptocurrency exchanges offer similar services, but differ in a few key ways – mainly fees, the range of cryptos available and payment methods. You can use our table to compare the features of popular cryptocurrency exchanges available in Australia to help you choose the one that's right for you.
Some other factors you may want to consider are customer support, user reviews, ease of use and whether or not the exchange is registered with a local regulator. This information can be found by clicking on the exchange name in the table which will take you to its review page.
What will I need to buy Bitcoin Gold?
To create an account on any cryptocurrency exchange you will need an email address. Some exchanges may also ask for a phone number and photo ID, so it's a good idea to have those ready.
An increasing number of cryptocurrency exchanges will ask to verify your identity before you can deposit funds and start trading Bitcoin Gold.
- This process is known as Know Your Customer (KYC) and usually requires photo ID and a webcam or smartphone. You may also need to prove your address by uploading a copy of a recent bank statement or utility bill.
- Some exchanges allow you to deposit and trade cryptocurrencies without passing KYC, but they will not allow you to transfer local currency from your bank account. So if you are planning on purchasing BTG with your local currency then you will need to pass KYC.
- Once you have verified your identity, it is a good idea to enable 2-factor authentication (2FA) before depositing any funds. This will increase the security of your account and help keep your funds safe.
Where can I buy Bitcoin Gold with a credit or debit card?
Once you've created an account, you will need to deposit funds to buy BTG with. You can either deposit local currency from a bank account or credit card, or transfer cryptocurrency from another exchange or wallet. Here are popular deposit methods to buy BTG on the following exchanges:
- Bank account: Transfers from local bank accounts are usually free, but you will need to double-check this with the exchange you choose – this information can be found in our table by clicking on 'view details'.
- Credit or debit card: Linking a card to your account is another convenient way to top up your account, but be aware that it usually attracts an additional fee. An advantage, though, is that you can use a card to make instant purchases or set up a recurring purchase.
- Cryptocurrency: You can usually purchase BTG by trading it for another cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or a stablecoin. This varies between exchanges though, so you will need to search for BTG on the spot market to see what cryptocurrencies it can be traded for.
What is the easiest way to buy Bitcoin Gold?
The easiest way to buy BTG is by placing an 'instant buy' order to purchase it for a fixed price but not all crypto exchanges offer this feature.
Alternatively, you can open a trade on the spot market which allows you to set your own price – this is the most common way to purchase cryptocurrency. Using the instant buy feature is straightforward but typically more expensive than using the spot market.
Before buying BTG, you may want to check the market conditions. To help you decide if now is the right time to buy, you can take a look at our Analysis tools to get an idea of how the price of Bitcoin Gold has been performing recently.
Best Bitcoin Gold wallets to store your BTG
You can keep your BTG on the exchange you purchased it on, or move it to a personal wallet:
- Some people like to use their own wallets to guarantee total ownership over their assets, or to use them with other applications like DeFi services.
- Hardware wallets are typically considered to be the safest type of cryptocurrency wallet, as they use a physical device to enhance security in a number of ways. You can learn more about wallets and compare them with our comprehensive guide.
Is Bitcoin Gold a good investment?
Before buying any cryptocurrency, there’s a number of risk factors that must be considered:
- Mining. The major reason for the Bitcoin Gold hard fork was due to Bitcoin’s mining mechanisms. The current Bitcoin mining system is dominated by whales – large companies with huge capital and resources. Instead, Bitcoin Gold aimed to bring it back to the everyday person. Their mining algorithm is just as effective on a decent computer as it is on a large, expensive, multi-rig setup.
- Decentralisation. A large element of Bitcoin Gold moving to a new mining system was to maintain the blockchain’s original principles of decentralisation. Bitcoin Gold also implemented private blockchain data, in contrast to the public nature of Bitcoin’s blockchain.
- Controversy. As a smaller proof-of-work network by design, Bitcoin Gold is susceptible to attacks. The protocol has experienced multiple hacks, losing thousands of dollars from BTG wallets. Additionally, the hard fork from Bitcoin was rocky, with a number of exchanges declining to list the coin in its infancy due to poor development and a lack of transparency.
Additional information about Bitcoin Gold can be found using our BTG analysis tools.
Today's Bitcoin Gold price versus ATH
Compare today's price of Bitcoin Gold ($15.46 USD) against its all-time-high price of $456.25 USD on 20 December 2017. The closer the bar is to 100%, the closer BTG is to reaching its ATH again.
ATH date: December 20, 2017
Bitcoin Gold ATH: $456.25 USD
How to trade, convert or sell Bitcoin GoldYou can convert or sell your BTG with the same exchange you bought it through:
- Sign in to the exchange you have BTG on.
- If you store your Bitcoin Gold in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to convert or sell it on.
- Choose Sell or Convert and place a sell order.
- Choose the amount of BTG you'd like to convert or sell.
- Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of Bitcoin Gold.
- Complete your transaction and move your BTG to a wallet for storage.
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin Gold, are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance of BTG is no guarantee of future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information. You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may have holdings in the Bitcoin Gold or any other cryptocurrency discussed.
More guides on Finder
Koinly is a crypto tax software that consolidates your accounts and generates your tax docs.
How to stake and earn Sushi (SUSHI) in Australia
Compare rates on Sushi in Australia and earn up to 13.9% or learn how to stake SUSHI using a wallet.
How to buy TrueAUD (TAUD) in Australia
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy TrueAUD, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (TAUD).
Terra Luna Classic (LUNC) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Terra Luna Classic, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on LUNC.
Terra Luna Classic (LUNC) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on Terra Luna Classic and how the token will perform in the future.
How to buy Terra Luna Classic (LUNC) in Australia
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Terra Luna Classic, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (LUNC).
FTX futures trading guide
Learn everything there is to know about trading futures with leverage on the FTX cryptocurrency derivatives exchanges.
Swyftx vs Coinbase
How does a local Australian offering stack up against a global giant? We compare features, fees and more to find out.
Swyftx vs Binance
We compare features, fees and more to find out whether Swyftx or Binance is a better choice.
How to buy STEPN Green Satoshi Token on Solana (GST-SOL) in Australia
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy STEPN Green Satoshi Token on Solana, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (GST-SOL).
Get into cryptocurrency
Ask an Expert