The future of money, as it happens.
To properly understand fintech, let's first give it a bit of context.
The argument has been made that technically, fintech has been around since the 60s. This is when technology really started being used in banking. However, the modern understanding of fintech is using technology to completely rethink the way we interact with money and challenging incumbent players to keep up. For that reason, fintech can be said to have started after the Global Financial Crisis (GFC).
There were many drivers behind the development of modern fintech. This included a loss of faith in traditional banks, people losing money and property during the GFC and new financial regulations that were introduced because of it. All of these things and more saw the formation of startups trying to do finance differently and using technology to do it more quickly and cheaply. Fintech today has been extended beyond the realm of startups; it has been embraced by banks and companies worldwide and found its way into nearly every corner of finance.
Here, we will keep you up to date with the latest fintech news, reviews, interviews and guides affecting consumers, businesses and industry players.
Welcome to Fintech Finder.
In a typical week, 1.9 million Osko payments are being processed. Read more…
Latest news in fintech
It could have been done without blockchain, but there are more reasons to use blockchain than not. Read more…
A new report says markets could change quickly if large technology companies offer more fintech products. Read more…
Four out of the top 10 traded securities in the US last year were ETFs. Read more…
The fintech lender that pioneered the 22-minute home loan in Australia is now targeting small business owners and the self-employed. Read more…
Chemist chain joins Bunnings, Target and Officeworks on Zip's payment platform. Read more…
Evidence suggests bitcoin is genuinely seeing growing real world use as a censorship-resistant currency. Read more…
Come with us as we dive into the world of fintech and cryptocurrencies through in-depth interviews, hands-on reviews and market analysis. Find weekly videos to stay up to date with what's happening in fintech in Australia and globally.
- 5 reasons the new J.P. Morgan cryptocurrency uses blockchain
- Will Amazon and Google change the fintech game? Global regulators think so
- Global ETF sector growing by 20% annually
- Tic:Toc expands home loans offering to underserved business owners
- Zip adds Chemist Warehouse to buy now pay later service
- Bitcoin trade volumes in Venezuela reach new high despite crackdown
- BPAY’s real-time payment data shows we love fast transfers after 5pm
- Startup community rallies behind Startup Muster after funding loss
- UBank’s new “digital human” to help with home loans, send gifs
- Leading data company says “door is open” for neobank home loans
- Fintechs received almost half of $1 billion in startup funding from last quarter
- Opinion: You don’t have to trust blockchain for it to be useful
- You can now sign up for Revolut in Australia, here’s how the pricing compares
- How fintechs are responding to the Royal Commission
- This fund for emerging companies has raised $45 million to date
- Up bank customers can now link their account to Afterpay
- ANZ is now working with a UK open banking platform
- Oranges on the blockchain: Doc transfer time cut from 1 week to 1 second
- ASIC just made it easier for Australian fintechs to go global
- Visa is offering 5c coffees in Manly if you use your phone to tap and pay
- Cryptocurrency events are much more dominated by finance than tech
- Fintech funding in Australia grew almost 400% from 2017 to 2018
- We still use cash, but not how you might think
- Where’s all the cryptocurrency regulation?
- What will real-time payments look like in Australia in 2023?