The future of money, as it happens.
To properly understand fintech, let's first give it a bit of context.
The argument has been made that technically, fintech has been around since the 60s. This is when technology really started being used in banking. However, the modern understanding of fintech is using technology to completely rethink the way we interact with money and challenging incumbent players to keep up. For that reason, fintech can be said to have started after the Global Financial Crisis (GFC).
There were many drivers behind the development of modern fintech. This included a loss of faith in traditional banks, people losing money and property during the GFC and new financial regulations that were introduced because of it. All of these things and more saw the formation of startups trying to do finance differently and using technology to do it more quickly and cheaply. Fintech today has been extended beyond the realm of startups; it has been embraced by banks and companies worldwide and found its way into nearly every corner of finance.
Here, we will keep you up to date with the latest fintech news, reviews, interviews and guides affecting consumers, businesses and industry players.
Welcome to Fintech Finder.
The fully functional debit card and app are being tested in Australia and overseas ahead of their public debut in early 2019. Read more…
Latest news in fintech
After years of battling for NFC access, the big bank will finally offer Apple Pay in January 2019. Read more…
Is it really easier to tap and pay with your smartphone? Finder puts Samsung Pay to the test. Read more…
Users can see how much they're spending on guilty pleasures like Uber Eats, and how they compare to others using the app. Read more…
There are two sides to every story. Hear it and see it for yourself this Thursday at 8.45am UTC +11. Read more…
Fintech banking app Douugh will launch its smart bank account in the United States in the new year, followed by a launch in Australia later in 2019. Read more…
Lawsuits are just one more attack vector blockchain developers need to be aware of. Read more…
Come with us as we dive into the world of fintech and cryptocurrencies through in-depth interviews, hands-on reviews and market analysis. Find weekly videos to stay up to date with what's happening in fintech in Australia and globally.
- CommBank partners with Apple Pay
- Samsung Pay: Hands-on review
- Personal finance app Finch launches new spend tracking features
- Huge Craig Wright interview to be broadcast live on Crypto Finder this week
- Neobank Douugh to launch debit Mastercard in Australia in 2019
- Lawsuit alleges BCH collusion with Chinese government
- Digital bank 86 400 announces new debit card in beta testing
- Are Australians going to embrace the new digital banks?
- G20 cryptocurrency regulation “a huge step in the right direction”
- You could invest in Australian neobank Xinja for as little as $255
- APAC Alternative Finance report shows impressive industry growth
- DJ Khaled and Floyd Mayweather penalised for Centra crypto shilling
- Why you can’t have an Internet age without cryptocurrency
- RateSetter putting pieces in place to be Australia’s biggest consumer loans provider
- American Express Go launches new digital card for businesses
- ASIC releases review into buy now, pay later industry
- TransferWise launches new foreign exchange solution for Australian businesses and opens its API
- Sydney commuters can use credit or debit cards to tap on and off trains
- Aussies aren’t that interested in fancy personalised bank tech
- Zip is launching at Bunnings so you can DIY and pay for it later
- Fintech and charity: Does it work?
- Are fintechs like Afterpay looking at the bigger picture?
- Does faster in fintech always mean better?
- Independent Reserve has a new KPMG cryptocurrency tax estimator
- IMF director: Central banks should consider issuing digital currencies