Digital Surge cryptocurrency exchange – June 2021 review
An Australian platform that lets you buy, sell and pay bills with bitcoin (BTC)
Digital Surge is an Australian exchange allowing customers to buy and sell over 200 cryptocurrencies with Australian dollars. With a focus on ease-of-use, educational resources and personalised customer support, the platform aims to create a smooth experience for new users. Additional features include a digital wallet and the option to pay bills with Bitcoin.
- Great range of coins and user-friendly interface
- Lacks spot markets for serious traders
|Product Name||Digital Surge Cryptocurrency Exchange|
|Cryptocurrencies||BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, EOS, XVG, LTC, ETC, LINK, DOT & 250+ more|
|Trading Fee||0.1 - 0.5%|
Bank transfer: None
POLi: $2 (capped at $3.30)
None for Australian bank accounts
Cryptocurrency: 0.0004 BTC
What's in this review?
- What is Digital Surge?
- What fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Available countries
- Which payment methods are accepted?
- How much will it cost me to use Digital Surge?
- How fast will my funds be available?
- Are there any transfer limits?
- Is it safe to use Digital Surge?
- Customer support
- Pros and cons
- Next steps
- Frequently asked questions
What is Digital Surge?
Based in Brisbane, Digital Surge has a mission to enable the use of cryptocurrency in everyday life. Designed to be easy to understand and use, the platform allows users to deposit Australian dollars (AUD) via bank transfer including PayID, OSKO and POLi Payments, which can then be spent on a range of over 200 cryptocurrencies.
Digital Surge offers instant account verification and deposits, allowing crypto newcomers to buy and sell cryptocurrency within minutes. Accounts come with a digital wallet and the option to pay bills with Bitcoin.
What fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Supported fiat currencies: AUD
- Supported cryptocurrencies: Approximately 265 cryptocurrencies
Digital Surge is an Australia-based digital currency exchange designed for use by Australian traders.
Which payment methods are accepted?
You can deposit funds into your Digital Surge account via:
- Bank transfer
It’s also possible to pay bills with cryptocurrency using the Digital Surge Pay Wizard. Bills can be paid using cryptocurrency stored in your Digital Surge wallet or in an external wallet.
How much will it cost me to use Digital Surge?
If you’re depositing money into your account via bank transfer or PayID, no fee applies. However, POLi Payments deposits incurs a fee starting from $2 and capped at $3.30.
There are no fees for AUD withdrawals, fees vary for crypto withdrawals and are listed on the coin withdrawal page.
Trading fees vary according to your 30-day trade volume, as outlined in the table below:
|Trading fee||30-day AUD trade volume|
|0.50%||Less than $100,000|
|0.40%||$100,000 to $250,000|
|0.30%||$250,000 to $500,000|
|0.20%||$500,000 to $1 million|
|0.10%||Greater than $1 million|
How fast will my funds be available?
PayID and POLi transactions are processed immediately.
Cryptocurrency deposits are available for over 200 cryptocurrencies. Time varies depending on the coin and network congestion.
AUD withdrawals are processes instantly, with the funds available in your bank account within 60 seconds.
Cryptocurrency withdrawals are available for over 200 cryptocurrencies. Again, time varies depending on the coin and network congestion.
Are there any transfer limits?
There's a daily deposit and withdrawal limit of $20,000 which can be increased to $100,000 on request.
Is it safe to use Digital Surge?
Digital Surge says it follows the AUSTRAC requirements for a reporting entity. This means that when you register for an account, you’ll not only have to supply your email address but also verify your ID by providing:
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- One valid form of ID
The platform also includes a number of other security features to help ensure the security of your funds. These include:
- Majority of customer funds are held offline in cold storage
- Two-step authentication is required whenever you withdraw any fiat or digital currency from your account
- All Digital Surge website traffic is run over encrypted SSL (HTTPS)
- All Digital Surge employees must pass a criminal background check before they are hired
If you’re having problems with your account or a particular transaction, Digital Surge offers an online help centre with answers to a range of frequently asked questions. If you need further assistance, you can ask a question via live chat or get in touch with the Digital Surge team via email.
Pros and cons
- Simple and straightforward to use
- Supports two-factor authentication
- Transparent fee structure
- Majority of customer funds held offline in cold storage
- Fast sign-up and verification process
- Recurring buys and price alerts
- Only supports AUD fiat deposits
- Only offers a spot market for BTC-AUD and ETH-AUD
- Credit card transactions not supported
Compare the features of Digital Surge with the services offered by other crypto exchanges. If you then decide that you’d like to trade with Digital Surge, navigate to the Digital Surge website where you can sign up for an account.
The first step is to provide your email address, then you'll need to complete an ID verification process via Rapid ID. This involves a biometric check using a webcam or smartphone.
The verification process can be completed within minutes, after which you can place your first trade.