The best mobile plans for $10 a month or under this August
We've rounded up 6 mobile plans for anyone looking to save extra money quickly.
Our top picks for August include long-expiry plans, as well as month-to-month options if you're looking for more flexibility with your mobile plan and don't need lots of data.
Here's a quick rundown of the plans before we go into more detail:
|Provider||Expiry period||Learn more|
|Catch Connect||365 days||60GB for $89 (Exclusive to Finder)|
|amaysim||365 days||60GB for $99|
|Kogan Mobile||365 days||120GB for $120|
|Southern Phone||Monthly||5GB for $10 a month for the first 6 months, then $13 a month ongoing|
|Moose Mobile||Monthly||6GB for $9 a month for the first 6 months, then $15 a month ongoing|
|Circles.Life||Monthly||5GB for $10 a month|
1. Catch Connect - 60GB for $89
Catch's mobile plans run on the Optus 4G network.
It's offering 60GB for $89 over 365 days exclusively via Finder until 9 August. This works out to be roughly $7.40 a month for 5GB of data.
It's a solid option if you:
- Are a mobile phone user with limited data requirements
- Are happy to set and forget about your mobile plan for a full year
- Don't want added features on your plan besides unlimited domestic calls and texts plus data
The plan does revert back to $120 per recharge after your 365 days are up, but you can always switch to another provider if that's above your budget.
2. amaysim - 60GB for $99
amaysim's 365-day long-expiry plan on the Optus 4G network costs $99 for 60GB, which is around $8.25 a month for 5GB of data.
It's the same data limit as Catch's own plan, but a tiny bit more expensive. However, you do get a couple of additional benefits with amaysim, winner of the 2023 Finder Award for Best Prepaid Mobile Provider (Value):
- Unlimited data banking as long as you stay on this plan
- Option to purchase international roaming packs when you travel overseas
- An app to help you manage your plan, especially if you're on the move
- Keep in mind: This plan will revert back to $120 for 120GB after the first 365 days, but it'll still work out to be $10 a month.
3. Kogan Mobile - 120GB for $120
Kogan's long-expiry plans are popular for offering good value for money. It's why it won the 2023 Finder Award Best Long-Expiry Prepaid Plans.
Its 120GB for $120 plan works out to be $10 a month for 10GB of data. This will be right for you if you:
- Are after more data on your mobile plan
- Want the option to earn Qantas Points
- Prefer instant eSIM setup
Kogan's mobile plans run on the Vodafone network, the smallest of the 3 networks in Australia. If you're signing up to its long-expiry plan, make sure coverage isn't an issue for you. It may not suit those in rural or regional areas.
4. Southern Phone - 5GB for $9 a month
Southern Phone's latest mobile plan deal for August is slinging its 6GB plan for $9 a month. After 6 months, the price will revert back to $13 a month.
Signing up with Southern Phone comes with a few benefits including:
- Access to the Optus's 3G and 4G networks
- Customer support help from an Australian-based team
- 100% carbon neutral plans
- $50 international call credit
The main drawback is you'll have to pay an $8 port out fee if you want to transfer your number to another mobile provider.
5. Moose Mobile - 6GB for $9 a month
Moose Mobile's August deal is giving you 6GB for $9 a month for the first 6 months.
The price then reverts back to $15 a month, but you can always switch to a new offer from a different provider if that doesn't suit your budget.
Signing up with Moose Mobile will get you access to:
- The Optus 3G and 4G networks
- Australian-based customer support
- A highly-rated app to manage your plan
The main catch is there's no bonus features such as data banking or international calls, so you'll need to decide if you're happy with just the basics.
6. Circles.Life - 5GB for $10 a month
Circles.Life's 5GB plan is the perfect option if you have minimal data needs, don't want to pay more than $10 a month and don't want to worry about the price changing, as this is its ongoing offer.
With Circles.Life you'll get:
- Access to Optus's 4G network
- The option to add on another 3GB for $10 if at any point you need extra data
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If you're unhappy with the service, you'll get a refund on your plan fees.
There's no other features on offer, so it'll only suit mobile plan users that are after a no-frills plan.
Given the average Aussie uses 10.2GB of data, the plans on this list may not suit everyone. Compare other mobile plans to find one that better matches your requirements.