Looking for a way to send money to family, friends or a business in Australia? Don't head straight to your local bank – compare specialist money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better exchange rates and lower transfer fees so your recipient will receive more Australian dollars.
Best ways to send money to Australia from abroad
The best way to send money to Australia depends on your payment method, how the money will be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying Australian dollars, money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than banks. Transfer specialists markup ranges from 0.4% to 3%. The markup is lower on major currency pairs.
- Bank transfer. Bank transfers are an easy way to send money to Australia but they charge extra for the convenience and are often slower than other methods. Banks such as CBA and ANZ generally add a 3% to 6% markup onto exchange rates.
- Cash pickup. If you need your money to arrive fast, cash pickup gives your recipient instant access to the money you've sent when they collect it from their agent location in Australia. Western Union and MoneyGram are popular for cash pick but are more expensive than their online counterparts.
- Mobile wallet. Essentially an electronic wallet service, mobile wallets allow users to store, send and receive eligible currencies using their phone, often with fees attached.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Australia
Cheapest way to send money to Australia
Bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to Australia. TorFX and Xe Money Transfers have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.
When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your local bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is adding a margin to the mid-market exchange rate.
Providers such as Wise offer the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Australian dollars your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to Australia
Many online providers can offer transfers to Australia within minutes, although you're likely to pay a premium for the convenience.
Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to Australia:
- Xe Money Transfers — within minutes
- Revolut — within minutes
- Ria Money Transfers — within minutes
Actual transfer times can depend on several different factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.
Safest way to send money to Australia
The safest way transfer money is using a provider registered with Australia's industry regulator, the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC). All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in Australia.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our reviews and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot.
Large money transfers to Australia
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Australia, consider using a provider such as TorFX and OFX to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.
Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on Australian Taxation Office's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the AUD exchange rate you want..
- Account manager. Currency brokers assign a personal account manager to help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, providers such as Qantas Business Money and OFX can provider support over the phone.
How to send money to Australia from abroad
To send money to Australia, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Australia. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Australian bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total amount your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.Send your money transfer to Australia. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
How to choose the best money transfer companies
When choosing a money transfer provider, it's important to consider the cost, how you want your recipient to receive the funds and the turnaround time. Here are other features to review:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the AUD you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Australia for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have an Australian bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Companies such as Ria Money Transfers offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Australia faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Ria Money Transfers has a transfer limit of $5,000 while TorFX has no maximum transfer limit.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Australian dollars.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to transfer money to the USA
Need to transfer AUD to USA? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to USA.
Top ways to send money to India
Want to send AUD to India? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Can I send money to someone in Iran?
Learn about sanctions against Iran and what that means for sending money to someone within the country.
Find the best way to send money to North Macedonia
Looking for the best way to send money from Australia to Macedonia? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Israel
Want to send AUD to Israel? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Canada
Transferring CAN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Australia to Canada.
Send money to Bangladesh
Want to send AUD to Bangladesh? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to the UK
Sending money to United Kingdom (UK) from Australia? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to New Zealand
Transferring NZL is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Australia to New Zealand.
Find the best way to send money to the Philippines
Want to send AUD to Philippines? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Ask an Expert