Review: Rocket Remit international money transfers
Quick and convenient mobile transfers to more than 25 countries around the world.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Fast and convenient transfers.
- Simple and transparent fee structure.
- Send to 25+ countries.
- Sending money to people who don't have a bank account.
Not so great for
- Restrictive transfer limits.
- Fees on smaller transfers.
What's in this guide?
- Rocket Remit exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can you make with Rocket Remit?
- How long does a transfer with Rocket Remit take?
- What payment methods does Rocket Remit accept?
- Is Rocket Remit safe to use?
- How to register an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with Rocket Remit?
- What is Rocket Remit?
- In a nutshell
- How does Rocket Remit compare to other providers?
- Frequently asked questions
Rocket Remit exchange rates and fees
There are two factors you'll need to consider when calculating the total cost of a transaction: the exchange rate you get and any transaction fees that apply. Rocket Remit adds a margin on top of the mid-market exchange rate when you use Australian dollars to buy a foreign currency. The size of the margin varies depending on the currency you want to send overseas.
Rocket Remit also charges a flat $5 fee on all transfers except those sent to Pakistan and Bangladesh, which are free.
Rocket Remit allows you to send money to more than 25 countries around the world. Supported currencies include:
- BDT Bangladeshi taka
- FJD Fijian dollar
- INR Indian rupee
- LKR Sri Lankan rupee
- NGN Nigerian naira
- NPR Nepalese rupee
- PHP Philippine peso
- PKR Pakistani rupee
What types of transfers can you make with Rocket Remit?
Rocket Remit allows you to send mobile money transfers to people who live in a supported country and who have an account with a compatible m-wallet or e-wallet provider.
The funds you send will typically be deposited into your recipient's m-wallet or e-wallet immediately, and how they access the funds will vary depending on the services offered by their wallet provider.
How long does a transfer with Rocket Remit take?
Once you've authorised a payment, the money you send will typically arrive in your recipient's mobile wallet immediately.
However, please remember that unless your Rocket Remit account already has sufficient funds, you'll also need to wait for your account to be loaded. This can take 2-3 business days depending on your bank and the payment method you select.
What payment methods does Rocket Remit accept?
You can fund your Rocket Remit account using any of the following options:
- Internet banking transfer
- ANZ ATM deposit
- Over-the-counter deposit at any ANZ ATM branch
Transfers typically take
2-3 business days
Is Rocket Remit safe to use?
- Regulation. Regulated in Australia by ASIC and AUSTRAC.
- Established. 2004.
- Security. Online safety tips and advice for customers.
Rocket Remit is operated by Australian fintech business mHITs Limited, which was established in 2004. mHITs Limited is regulated by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) and is also listed on the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) Remittance Sector Register.
You'll need to verify your ID to sign up for a Rocket Remit account and enter a one-time SMS code every time you want to send a transaction. Rocket Remit also offers a selection of online safety tips to help customers protect themselves against fraud when sending a mobile transfer.
How does Rocket Remit make money?
Rocket Remit makes money in two ways:
- By charging transaction fees on most transfers.
- By adding a margin on top of the mid-market exchange rate. The mid-market rate is the "real" exchange rate you see listed on Google and currency conversion websites.
How to register an account
It's free to sign up for a Rocket Remit account online by completing the following steps:
- Visit the Rocket Remit website and click the "Sign up" link at the top right of the screen.
- Enter your first and last name, mobile number and email address. You'll also need to choose a password before clicking "Register!".
- A one-time code will be sent to your mobile number. Enter this code to confirm your phone number.
- You'll then need to:
- Provide your date and country of birth.
- Specify whether you are an Australian citizen or resident.
- Provide your occupation.
- Enter your residential address.
- Select your gender.
- The final step is to verify your ID and complete the sign-up process.
How do I make an international money transfer with Rocket Remit?
Once you've created an account, you can send a mobile money transfer with Rocket Remit by completing the following steps:
- Check that your recipient is registered with a compatible m-wallet or e-wallet operator in a country supported by Rocket Remit. Check the must-read box below for a list of supported wallet operators.
- Compose a payment SMS to 0488 762 538 (0488 ROCKET) as follows: "PAY [Recipient's mobile number] [Amount] [Recipient's first name] [Recipient's last name] [Recipient's address]".
- You'll be sent a confirmation SMS with a one-time code.
- Reply with this code to confirm payment to your recipient's mobile wallet.
- You'll be sent an SMS receipt with your transaction reference number.
Rocket Remit mobile wallet partners
Bangladesh: bKash Mobile Money
Benin: MTN Mobile Money
Burundi: EcoCash Mobile Money
Cameroon: Orange Money, MTN Money
Congo DRC: Airtel Money
Ecuador: Efectivo Desde Mi Celular
El Salvador: Tigo Money
Ethiopia: Hello Cash
Fiji: Vodafone Fiji M-PAiSA
Ghana: MTN Mobile Money, AirtelTigo Mobile Money
Guatemala: Tigo Money
Kenya: Safaricom m-pesa Mobile Money
Malawi: Airtel Money
Mozambique: Vodacom m-pesa Mobile Money
Nepal: eSewa Mobile Money
Nicaragua: Billetera Movil (Banpro)
Nigeria: vCash Mobile Money
Pakistan: Telenor Easypaisa Mobile Money
Philippines: Globe GCash
Senegal: Orange Money, Tigo Cash
Somaliland: Telesom ZAAD Mobile Money
Sri Lanka: eZ Cash Mobile Money
Tanzania: Airtel Money, Tigo Pesa, Vodacom m-pesa
Uganda: Airtel Money, MTN Money
Vietnam: MBBank Vietnam Mobile Money
What is Rocket Remit?
Rocket Remit is a mobile money remittance service that specialises in transfers from Australia to Africa, the Asia-Pacific region and the Americas. Previously known as mHITs Remit, Rocket Remit is a service of Australian fintech business mHITs Limited. Established in 2004, mHITs Limited has built and run a number of payment services in Australia and around the world. Its head office is in Canberra.
In a nutshell
- Fast and convenient transfers. Rocket Remit allows you to send money overseas directly from your mobile and the funds will arrive in your recipient's mobile wallet instantly.
- Simple fee structure. Rocket Remit's fee structure is simple and straightforward, with no hidden fees or complicated tiered fee systems to worry about.
- Send to 25+ countries. Rocket Remit allows you to send transfers to 29 countries around the world.
- Easy access. Rocket Remit offers its service to Australian residents who can provide valid proof of ID and have a compatible mobile phone. Your recipient also doesn't need a bank account to receive the money you send.
- Transfer limits. If you want to send an amount of $500 or more, you'll need to look elsewhere.
- Fees on smaller transfers. A $5 flat fee applies to all transfers except those to Pakistan and Bangladesh. If you're only sending Rocket Remit's minimum transfer amount of $50, this fee equates to 10% of the money you're transferring.
How does Rocket Remit compare to other providers?
Check out the table below to compare the exchange rates, fees and transfer speeds of Rocket Remit with those offered by other international transfer services.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert