Send money to Swaziland
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Eswatini, formerly known as Swaziland.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whenever you need to send money overseas, it's a good idea to compare your options before you get started – it could save you lots.
In this guide, we'll go through how you can get the most out of your transfer, plus all the tips and tricks for sending money to Eswatini with ease.
Compare money transfer services for Eswatini
The table below shows some of the different options available for sending money to Eswatini. Enter your desired amount and currency into the table and it will do the math to work out how much each option will cost.
How to send money to Eswatini in a few simple steps
- Choose your service. Compare your transfer options to find the one that's right for you, then head to the transfer service's website. Consider the limits and payment options of each provider to make sure it's right for you.
- Create an account. This usually involves providing and confirming an email address and providing some identification.
- Choose how you want your money delivered. Different options include cash pick-up, bank transfer and mobile money app payments. Availability will vary between providers
- Fill out the transaction details. This includes the transfer amount, the currency you're sending and the recipient's information.
- Review the details. Double check all the details to make sure everything is correct.
- Send your money. The money will be deposited into your recipient's account or available for collection in Eswatini.
- Wait for confirmation. You’ll typically receive email or SMS confirmation that your payment has been received and that the money is on its way, and when it’s been received.
How to compare money transfer services
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate can be very different for different providers. Check how many emalangeni (SZL) you will get per Australian dollar sent. South African rand (ZAR) is also accepted in Eswatini, so if the rates are better that may be a more cost-effective currency to send.
- Fees. Check how much the provider charges in fees, and add this to the amount lost on exchange rates to get a sense of the total costs involved.
- Payment options. You may have to pick a different provider depending on whether you want to pay with credit card, bank transfer, cash deposit or other option.
- Pick-up methods. Consider whether you want the money transfer provider to deposit the money directly into your recipient's bank account, make it available for pick-up or send it to their mobile money app.
- Transfer times. How long does the transfer take? If you want the money to arrive as quickly as possible you may need to pay extra.
- Limits. Money transfer services will have different money limits for different countries. Make sure the limits work for you.
- Customer service. Who do you contact if something goes wrong? Make sure you know how to contact your provider's customer service line, along with which timezone they're in and when they're available.
Let's crunch the numbers: Two money transfer companies compared
Let's look at how two money transfer providers compare on cost when sending $1,000 to Eswatini as SZL.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 9.43 SZL||1 AUD = 9.552 SZL|
|Transfer speed||Almost immediately||Up to 10 days|
|Total amount received||SZL9,194.25||SZL9,255.98|
|Receiver gets||SZL61.73 less||SZL61.73 more|
This is a good example of why you should look at both the fees and the exchange rate when comparing money transfer services. Here, despite the second transfer service having a higher fee, the receiver still ends up with more money because the exchange rate is quite a bit better.
Exchange rates explainedExchange rates refer to how much of one currency you can get for another. If you get 10 Swazi emalangeni for 1 Australian dollar, the exchange rate can be expressed as 1 AUD = 10 SZL.
Different services will often have different exchange rates. For example, one provider might offer 1 AUD = 9 SZL, while another might offer 1 AUD = 8 SZL.
Even if that first provider has higher fees, it could still be more cost-effective than the second, especially for larger transfers.
When sending money to Eswatini, you may also want to check the AUD to ZAR (South African rand) exchange rates. SZL is pegged 1:1 to ZAR, and ZAR is accepted in Eswatini, but the AUD/SZL and AUD/ZAR rates might be different.
Below you can see the current AUD to SZL exchange rates, updated daily.
In what ways can I send money to Eswatini?
- Bank transfer. You can see if your bank offers money transfers for Eswatini. Availability will vary between banks, as will the currencies they offer. You'll also typically pay higher fees and get worse rates than you would when making the same transfer through a dedicated money transfer service instead.
- PayPal and other apps. Certain payment providers will also help you send money to Eswatini. PayPal is one of them. But like banks, availability may vary and the rates and fees will often be higher than you'd pay with other services.
- Specialist money transfer service. Dedicated money transfer providers will typically offer some of the lowest fees and the most favourable exchange rates on the market.
- Cash pick-up services. Some international payment providers will have cash pick-up locations around Eswatini, where transfers can be collected as cash.
- International cheque. You may be able to get an international cheque from your bank, which can be filled out and mailed to your recipient in Eswatini.
How long will it take to send money to Eswatini?
Your transfer may take around a week to arrive, although this can vary widely depending on the situation. Certain banks may be faster than others, while making a cash transfer or a mobile money payment and avoiding bank transfers entirely may also help cut down the transfer time.
Emergency cash transfer
If you need to send money to Eswatini fast, a cash transfer is often the most efficient option.
While the fees may be higher, it may be the only option for sending money to Eswatini in a timely manner. The funds can be picked up from one of the provider locations in the country.
How to send money to Eswatini without a bank account
Even if you don't have a bank account, you can still use cash transfer services without a problem. Your recipient can likewise pick up funds without issue even if they don't have a bank account.
Cash transfer services are widely available around the world and it's easy to find your nearest cash transfer location online. However, the rates and fees can vary by location.
Tips for picking up cash in Eswatini
According to Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, petty theft and robbery are common in major towns in Eswatini.
- Don't pick up money alone
- Pick up money in a busy area during the day
- Be mindful of pickpockets or others who may have seen you pick up the money
Cash pick-up locations in Eswatini
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Best NAS devices in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Best energy provider in Australia
Learn how to compare energy providers in your state with our free online tool.
Pay as you go mobile plans
Pay as you go mobile plans are a great way to save money if you don't use your phone very often.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Polkadot (DOT) cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the DOT cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.