How to send money to Serbia
Find a quick, affordable service to make a money transfer to Serbia.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Bordered by Hungary, Romania, Bosnia and Croatia, Serbia is a small country with a population of just over seven million. Serbia is a member of the United Nations and is currently a candidate for entry into the European Union.
Serbian immigration to Australia occurred in waves throughout the 20th century, particularly during and after the Second World War and the Yugoslav Wars. Serbian-Australians number around 350,000, most of whom are concentrated around Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Cultural organisations like the Serbian Community Association of Australia and the Serbian Orthodox Youth Association help Serbian-Australians maintain links to Serbian culture, religions and traditions.
What's in this guide?
- Compare services that send money to Serbia
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Serbia?
- How do I send money to Serbia from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Serbia in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Serbia
- Cash pickup locations in Serbia/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Serbia
- Tips for picking up cash in Serbia
- What are the steps to send money to Serbia?
Compare services that send money to Serbia
Banks versus money transfer companiesAndrej’s parents decided to move back to Belgrade after 25 years in Melbourne. They’ll be moving back to the family house, but it needs extensive renovation. Andrej, his sisters and their cousins want to help with expenses, so they’re looking for a quick, cheap way to send money to the Motherland.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 = 0.61€||$1 = 0.63|
|Amount received for $500||305€||$312|
|Transfer time||1 to 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer options||By phone, online||Online|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Serbia?
When considering money transfer options, it’s important to keep the following factors in mind.
- Exchange rates. Besides what you pay for the transfer service, it’s important to choose a service that offers a competitive exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Check with your recipient to see which pick-up method would suit them best, especially if they’re not mobile or far from a pick-up point.
- Fees. Even if a service offers a competitive exchange rate, make sure that you aren’t being charged service or conversion fees for the transfer. Sometimes a good exchange rate is negated by additional fees.
- Bank to bank transfers. If your recipient has a bank account with the same bank, you can effect a same-bank transfer, usually for no fee.
- Turnaround time. Depending on how urgently your recipient needs the money, you can choose between services that offer instantaneous delivery (Western Union, for example) or those that make money available within one to three working days.
- Transfer methods. The quickest way to send money is usually via online transfer, but you can also choose transactions handled over the phone, in person or through your bank.
- Transfer options. Besides just once-off transfers, you can also choose to set up regular scheduled payments, forwards contracts and market orders.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Some services require that you send a minimum amount, usually between $10 and $50. In some cases, fees are waived for transfers over a certain amount.
- Customer service. It’s imperative that the money transfer service has a reliable and efficient customer service.
How do I send money to Serbia from Australia?
Below are a few money-sending options to consider when sending money to Serbia.
- Xendpay. This money transfer service will send money directly to your recipient’s bank account.
- Western Union. Your recipient can collect the deposit at a Western Union agent or withdraw it from his or her bank account.
- Banks. Sending money between banks usually implies higher fees, but if your recipient has a bank account within the same bank, the transfer will be effected without a fee.
- Exchange4Free. This services facilitates bank-to-bank transfers for zero fees charged no matter the amount. Be sure to compare exchange rates and delivery time. You can effect a transfer online or by phone.
How do I receive money from Serbia in Australia?
In the same way that recipients in Serbia can access their deposits quickly and easily, sending money from Serbia to Australia is facilitated by a number of online transfer services.
- Worldremit. This transfer service allows you to receive a transfer in Australia within 10 minutes of the transaction being effected. Recipients can collect their money at a MoneyGram pick-up point.
- Paypal. One of the most recognisable and reliable money transfer services, Paypal facilitates instantaneous transfers between Paypal accounts and to bank accounts.
Emergency cash transfers in Serbia
If you find yourself in an emergency while in Serbia, there are a few ways to have money sent to where you are.
- Pick-up options. Transfer companies like Western Union and MoneyGram have pick-up points from which you can collect your deposit. Money is usually available within minutes of the transaction.
- Online transfers. These money transfer companies facilitate quick transfers between bank accounts, usually within one to three business days.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance policy will cover you for loss and theft while on holiday. Get in touch with your insurer, but make sure you’re eligible for cover before submitting a claim.
Cash pickup locations in Serbia/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Serbia
If you’re sending money via Western Union or MoneyGram, here are a few pick-up points from which to collect your deposit.
Vase Pelagica 48b
+381 11 3300300
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm
Vase Pelagica 48b
+381 11 3300300
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 2pm
Erste Bank AD
Bul Oslobodjenja 76
Bulevar Oslobodjenja Br 5
Novi Sad 21000
Open Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7pm,
Saturday 8am to 1pm
Bulevar Oslobodjenja 27
Open Monday to Sunday 7am to 11pm
Alpha Bank 106
Vojvode Stepe 112
+381 11 2492880
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Sberbank Belgrade Ustanicka
+381 11 3049579
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm,
Saturday 10am to 1pm
Alpha Bank 300
Bulevar Oslobodijenja 30
Novi Sad, 21000
+381 21 4770248
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- EFG 203
TC Dalton Bul.oslobodjenja 95
Novi Sad - Dalton, 21101
+381 21 4725516
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Tips for picking up cash in Serbia
While the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises a normal degree of caution while in Serbia, the number of migrants entering the country can lead to delays on public transport and at the borders. While crime is relatively low, you should still be vigilant while travelling, especially if you’re collecting money from a pick-up point. Be sure to get there during opening hours and try to take someone along.
What are the steps to send money to Serbia?
Some online services require that you open an account before effecting a transfer. You’ll be asked to be supply the following:
- Your contact details
- Email address
- Bank account information
- Your recipient’s personal and bank account information
Once the transfer has been completed, you’ll receive a tracking number to use as reference when making enquiries.
More guides on Finder
SendGold app review: Buy, sell and gift gold online in seconds
We look at the fees and features of the SendGold bullion dealer platform.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
Podcast: How to recession-proof your finances during COVID-19
If we're heading for an economic recession, it's time to start taking your personal finances seriously. This podcast is a how-to guide for all Australians.
How coronavirus is changing the way we transfer money overseas
Retail outlets are shuttering but online transfer volumes rise.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
SingX promo codes and discounts
If you’re looking to save some cash the next time you send money overseas, check out our up-to-date SingX promo codes.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Review: SingX international money transfers
Your guide to international money transfers with SingX, including exchange rates, fees and safety.
Western Union vs Moneycorp
Compare Western Union and Moneycorp side by side to see who’s got the better value for money and faster transfers.
Bakong: How Cambodia’s blockchain-based central bank digital currency works
How it works, the problems it solves and how and why Cambodia's upcoming CBDC uses blockchain.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert