How to send money to the Dominican Republic
The safest and most cost-effective ways of sending money to friends and family in the Dominican Republic from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you need to send money to the Dominican Republic, see if you can get a better deal than what’s offered by your local bank. We’ve put together this guide which explains step-by-step how to do it, what to watch out for and helps compare the services.
Send money to the Dominican Republic with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare Money Transfer Services
How to transfer money to the Dominican Republic
- Choose a provider. Look at fees, rates and delivery speed to fit your needs using our comparison table for Dominican Republic money transfers.
- Register with provider. Provide your name, address, contact information and date of birth. A valid photo ID will also be required.
- Provide recipient information. You'll need their name, address, contact details and possibly their bank account information.
- Enter transfer amount. Initiate transfer and complete your transaction.
- Save your tracking or receipt number. These are required to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to the Dominican Republic
To put this into perspective, let's see what a transfer with a bank versus a money transfer service looks like.
|Bank transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 31.62453 DOP||1 AUD = 32.95091 DOP|
|Transfer speed||2-4 days||Minutes|
|Amount received||DOP 31,624||DOP 32,950.91|
The bank option ends up being both slow and getting the least amount of money to your recipient. If you go with the specialist cash transfer service, your recipient ends up with DOP 1,326 more than the bank offers. However, these rates may vary from your own experience, so be sure to use the comparison table to find the freshest money transfer rates.
How to compare transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Exchange rates are an important factor in the cost of transferring money overseas, so look for a provider that offers the best rates. However, make sure to also take a provider's fees into account when comparing its rates.
- Pickup methods. Cash pickup can be sent to an agent location or in some cases to a home address. If money is sent to a bank account in a foreign currency it can save costs but create delays in sending time.
- Fees. Fees range between variables like time, method and minimum or maximum amounts. Remember that low fees aren’t everything if it means sacrificing time, beneficial exchange rates and customer service.
- Turnaround time. Turnaround times for the available services range from minutes to days. Cash pickup is your best bet when it comes to emergency transfers.
- Transfer methods. If you don’t have a lot of flexibility in time, agent or phone options will be difficult. Look for companies that allow you to not only book on the phone or through an agent, but also online with a personal account.
- Transfer options. Regular payments, once-off payments, market orders and forward contracts.
- Customer service. How much help will be available if you hit a snag or have a question? Are the support hours convenient?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. The Dominican Republic's exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
You can check out how the Dominican peso has been trading against the Australian dollar in this historical rate chart or find out more in the link below.
Ways to send money to the Dominican Republic?
- Bank transfers. Many major banks offer wire transfers to the Dominican Republic.
- Money transfer providers. Online providers like Wise and WorldRemit can help you transfer money quickly and easily.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. Providers like Western Union and MoneyGram offer this service — your recipient can sometimes pick up the cast within minutes.
- PayPal. You can send money abroad using your PayPal account.
Same-day money transfers to the Dominican Republic
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to the Dominican Republic, remember that urgent transfers can be more expensive that standard ones. Fees rise and exchange rates often fall when you send an immediate transfer. Be sure to examine the full cost of your transfer before you send it, and read up more on emergency money transfers if you have the time.
Tips for picking up cash in the Dominican Republic
Keep the following safety tips in mind if you ever pick up a cash transfer from an agent in the Dominican Republic:
- Make sure your wallet and bag are secure.
- Never leave your bag or wallet unattended in a public place.
- Don’t carry around large sums of cash - deposit the funds with a bank as soon as you can.
- Ask a friend to accompany you and act as a deterrent to thieves.
- Don’t publicise your cash in front of strangers.
Cash pickup locations in Dominican Republic
More guides on Finder
How to send money to Europe cheaply
The ultimate guide to how to send a quick and affordable money transfer from Australia to Europe.
Travelling to Dominican Republic? Here’s our guide to finding the best prepaid SIM card
Save money by opting for a prepaid SIM card when travelling to Dominican Republic.
Flight deals to the Dominican Republic
Find low fares on flights from Australia to the Dominican Republic
Send money overseas with Bankwest International Payments
Bankwest lets you send money to more than 200 countries the world over, in 15 different currencies.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert